Thread: Absolute Monarchy Forever

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default Absolute Monarchy Forever

Is there anyway to manage absolutist governments to the end of the game without building pleasure gardens everywhere and running on low taxes?
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Rip, Slip, Brush, Ahh Member crazyviking03's Avatar

Default Re: Absolute Monarchy Forever

Kill the first born male of every family. It works wonders.
    Last edited by crazyviking03; 03-22-2009 at 04:19. Reason: my horrible terrible no good very bad spelling
    What if it is actualy you who are crazy, and I am realy not crazy?... No, you're right... I am crazy.

lol

Thumbs up Re: Absolute Monarchy Forever

I avoid the most severe enlightenment technologies. The highest school level I have is a classical university, and I'm keeping it that way. I don't even have the government by consent technology yet, and I don't want it. Don't need it.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Sacrifice some babies. I mean, it worked for the Carthaginians.

No, but one pleasure palace per big region isn't too much right? Thats acceptable.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

i manged it for 50 years without too many drama's in the end i created revolution because some of my provinces had unrest issues, i could have gone on longer just crushing rebellions tho cos my capital was pretty good.

build lots of +happiness, make sure u keep ur religion high % to ur faction religion, low taxes avoid the non critical social techs, keep large garrisons everywhere. upgrade all your towns +repression buildings. dont build universities in ur capital and/or rebellious provinces (bloody mysore)

more to the point, why would u bother, when i finally engineered revolution in my marthras camp, i was able to reset all my taxes cos the peasants stopped revolting and my income went from 40k a turn to 90k a turn. and i almost dont have to worry about revolt/revolution now im a republic.

Cheers Knoddy
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

Exclamation Re: Absolute Monarchy Forever

Quote Originally Posted by knoddy
    more to the point, why would u bother, when i finally engineered revolution in my marthras camp, i was able to reset all my taxes cos the peasants stopped revolting and my income went from 40k a turn to 90k a turn. and i almost dont have to worry about revolt/revolution now im a republic.
    You let the peasants rule themselves? You barbaric savage! The only good way to rule is with an iron fist and a velvet glove. Any other way is sub-human, a gov't fit only for animals.

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    You let the peasants rule themselves? You barbaric savage! The only good way to rule is with an iron fist and a velvet glove. Any other way is sub-human, a gov't fit only for animals.
    Wrong. He lets those stinking peasants think that they rule, so they keep quiet and are happy. In the mean time he is still in power. Modern democracy
    Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Alphonse View Post
    Wrong. He lets those stinking peasants think that they rule, so they keep quiet and are happy. In the mean time he is still in power. Modern democracy
    Heh , quoted for thruth .
    7 out of 10 people like me ,
    I'm not going to change for the other three .

I have had absolute monarchy cranking along and its 1784 now, low taxes for the pesants, mediums for the uppers, few dragoon units about and im still making 30-40k a year while spewing out as many men as i can. Don't even have a pleasure garden for every province either.

I did demolish those troublesome universities except for two major ones when i was down to the last couple of techs however, imagine what history would have to say about that behvaiour :P

I've completed half a dozen campaigns, never even had a revolution. Long live the king!

(not counting newly conquered provinces)
    Last edited by Belid Hagen; 03-22-2009 at 12:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Belid Hagen View Post
    I've completed half a dozen campaigns, never even had a revolution. Long live the king!

(not counting newly conquered provinces)
    Yeah, me neither, unless I wanted them. The recipe I use:
    1st town: if own religion < 100% = build church; else build happy building (pleasure gardens)
    2nd: either school or money maker, schools only in provinces with major cities and more than 3 towns for additional happy buildings
    3rd: happy building
    4th: money maker
    5rd: happy building
    6th: money maker

You might not need as many happy buildings in lots-of-towns provinces, individual checking is neccessary here.

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Venom View Post
    Yeah, me neither, unless I wanted them. The recipe I use:
    1st town: if own religion < 100% = build church; else build happy building (pleasure gardens)
    2nd: either school or money maker, schools only in provinces with major cities and more than 3 towns for additional happy buildings
    3rd: happy building
    4th: money maker
    5rd: happy building
    6th: money maker

You might not need as many happy buildings in lots-of-towns provinces, individual checking is neccessary here.
    Usually one happy maker should be enough. It depends on the amount of villages. A huger region with lots of villages should have a church and two pleasant gardens to keep it happy.

There is a advantage in being a republic though. In my recent Dutch campaign after researching and building everything I was able to raise taxes to the highest level without a red faces popping up. And no garrisons either.
    Tosa Inu

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

In my Russian campaign the lower classes demanded a Republic pretty quickly, but it didn't feel right. Oh, I let them have their Republic and "vote" and whatnot, but it didn't ring true. So I cranked up taxes on the middle class, built a horde of churches in Muscovy (since they only make the peons happy) and waited for the bursers and grocers and tailors to rebel.

They did, and now Russia is a parliamentary monarchy. Much better. Now it feels okay. (I do wish there were a way to go from Absolute Monarchy to Parliamentary without that ugly Republic in between.)

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just build light dragoons to keep repression, it is very simple.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

There is a problem with this solution as France: you can recruit dragoons only in the theaters other than Europe. So, if you, like me, decided to sell your outremer possessions to focus on Europe alone...

In my game as France, all my towns but the ones starting with an education building were converted to religious schools. Never had an unrest problem until I decided, forty turns later, to turn those into workshops... Granted, you really need to spam Indiamans and hog the trade spots like a pig to get any decent income in the early game that way.

There should be an achievement for winning the game with an Absolute Monarchy considering it poses so many challenges.

Not as much winning the game as lasting as an absolute monarchy until 1799.

I Still Play Shogun Member ratbarf's Avatar

Dont see why they made such a deal out of it going to a republic, the Russians held it together for another 100 years! Then admittedly they went to hell in a handbasket at the speed of light but that wasn't any of their own fault right?
    "The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes" - Adolf Hitler

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
    Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maladin View Post
    There is a problem with this solution as France: you can recruit dragoons only in the theaters other than Europe. So, if you, like me, decided to sell your outremer possessions to focus on Europe alone...
    That's wrong. Light dragoons work exactly the same, but better stats.

So no, no problems at all.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Playing in France and being second in the world in prestige and having conquered most of the small kingdoms in Europe (Got them to be protectorates then after 50 years or so I started "absorbing" them). I have managed to have really happy people throughout most of the territory I conquered with really no pleasure gardens (minus 1 or 2 in the main territory of Paris) and I have 7 universities throughout my land and have nearly finished off the tech tree. I've never even really been close to revolution and I am in the year 1770 I believe.

The keys are having good ministers and also in the colonies when I conquer an area I build the higher repression building once I have torn down the native American government building. Also, winning battles goes a very long way toward keeping the masses happy. Seems if you don't lose many battles your government rating will stay above 70%. I keep taxes low until I started "absorbing" protectorates and got later in the campaign, but I now tax the lower classes at the middle rate and the nobility at the next to highest (could easily tax at the highest, but I don't want to shrink the size of my economy).

I agree that in troublesome areas dragoons are key. I had to land 10 or so units of dragoons in Morocco until I was able to build a church there and start converting the masses. I don't really see any reason why my absolute monarchy would be overthrown in the next 60 or so turns (maybe a really atrocious leader, but my Queen now is not even 40).

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

What difficulty are you playing on? I'm playing on VH for the campaign.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Keep the tax on the lower class rock bottom (plus it good for town growth), build dragoons, keep conquering to keep government popularity up, have good justice and head ministers. Also take your time before researching enlightenment tech.

I manage to finish the game with Prussia as an Absolute Monarchit while having 3 to 4 schools in capital and having almost no inns and churches abroad. Never had a single revolution.

I don't know if it is like in the previous TW games but just to be safe keep a rake in border provinces to keep sooth sayers out.

If the filth lovers are still bogging you about forming anarcho-autonomous communities nonsense , just say NI! (not NU!) to them and they should grovel in fear and go back to their filth farming. (Mind you, refrain to say to NI! to the shrubberrer you'll need to keep on his good side)
    Last edited by Melvish; 03-23-2009 at 15:50.
    I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends. ---Abraham Lincoln

What difficulty are you playing on? I'm playing on VH for the campaign.
    I have been playing on VH/H.