Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For all love, go away and stay away!

Default For all love, go away and stay away!

It's not a particularly big issue, but it wouldn't go amiss if the AI is prevented from spamming diplomatic overtures. Especially because the offers are never tempting.

"No Monsieur, I will not sell you Flanders for 800 Florins."
    "No Monsieur, I won't do it for a plug bayonet technology either."
    "Monsieur, I don't think 801 Florins will cut it either."
    Gah!

And it's always the same faction too. Anyone playing as the United Provinces will recognize the unrelenting nature of France's persistence. My first UP campaign I tried to roleplay a bit. You know, curbing my expansionist tendencies with an eye to war being bad?
    Twenty turns of that and I was marching on Paris just to shut them up. Aaaargh!

Default Re: For all love, go away and stay away!

It seems the AI factions have hardcoded provinces that they really really like.

The Prussians want Poland and the Spaniards want either Venice or Savoy. I guess they need certain provinces to win, just like us. It gets very annoying after a while but its better than them breaking alliances to get it. I mean I'm the strongest nation in the game and everyone else knows it. I prefer that then having them attempt to attack me and lose, unless they made a coalition against me, that would be very interesting.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've played well over 300 turns of campaigns, and I've never received a request for a region from any faction.

All on VH/H or VH/VH.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Rip, Slip, Brush, Ahh Member crazyviking03's Avatar

yeah, on my Spanish campaign, the UP offer me 540 every turn for Flanders. Once they offered me Cyalon (sp?) as a trade, then it was back to the 540 every turn lol.
    What if it is actualy you who are crazy, and I am realy not crazy?... No, you're right... I am crazy.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Elmar Bijlsma View Post
    "Monsieur, I don't think 801 Florins will cut it either."
    Gah!
    Lol, it does get very annoying. Discoman brings up a good point though. Its better to have nations spam requests than to suicidaly declare war to get the target regions. You can see that the diplomacy in TW is evolving. You dont need to march diplomats all over the map, AI nations seem to be less stuborn, you can trade tech and territories, and you can make counter-offers and demands in proposals. Maybe a future patch or mod could even improve diplomacy a little.

They're less stubbon, but they're still quick to go to war, and they still march all over my land with a single unit of militia.

In 5 turns of the Austrian campaign i played today, Poland-Lithuania declared war on me 5 times, and accepted a peace treaty 5 times.

Saxony declared war the first time with their ally Poland and refused, absolutely refused to make peace, even when i took a province from Poland and offered it to them they outright refused, saying i had insulted them, despite the fact that THEY had declared war on ME, and i had refrained from making any aggressions upon them, and them on me, anyway, after 5 turns of offering land, money and technology for peace, i gave up.

And destroyed them.

I haven't played enough yet, but maybe the .org should make up some lists of things to show CA that need fixing and patching, diplomacy being one of them. With the new features, diplomacy could be really cool.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

The AI for me has never once left a city unguarded, and as a result has no real field army. So they send out worthless militia units.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

In my last game as France, Britain really seemed to want Quebec, and kept offering Jamaica, Maine, and various technologies in exchange for it.

Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Yeah, Britain needs that to get the 13 colonies.

Oh, and Quebec has four build slots, too.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Insane Imperialist. Member Feanaro's Avatar
    The Greatest Country I've Ever Visited, the USA. The only country I've ever visited but still.

As GB, France AND Spain spammed me left and right with offers for the Cherokee Territories. Every turn, it was one or the other asking for it. Then France traded Newfoundland, Infantry Square tech, military access, and 1000 florins away for the closest Huron province, which I had just recently conquered. This was on M/M. I gave it to them, since I had a sizable army sitting there and I figured I'd declare war soon. The Austrians saved me the trouble and declared war the same turn. I opted in, gaining Newfoundland AND my old territory back.
    Due to the ailing economy, this space has been foreclosed.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : For all love, go away and stay away!

"Monsieur, I don't think 801 Florins will cut it either.
    That made my day (even though it's only 0.20am).

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

Playing the UP this ruined a lot of the game play because every turn of my campaign I had almost the same request from GB, France, Austria and the Ottoman Empire. They always wanted to buy my most profitable regions. Well buying is the right term. I had to pay 10000 plus a very rich region for a worthless tech. Oh yeah.
    Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Discoman View Post
    The Prussians want Poland and the Spaniards want either Venice or Savoy. I guess they need certain provinces to win, just like us. It gets very annoying after a while but its better than them breaking alliances to get it. I mean I'm the strongest nation in the game and everyone else knows it. I prefer that then having them attempt to attack me and lose, unless they made a coalition against me, that would be very interesting.
    Sure, they might need these provinces to win - BUT if so why didn't they go there first?!
    In my Ottoman campaign I conquered Morocco - every following turn the Spainiards wanted to trade Morocco for Lombardy and Sardinia. ( Nowadays they want Mexico instead of Marocco )
    The Spainiards have captured Portugal early in my Campaign and have up to 8 (!) full armies hanging around on the iberian peninsula - If they need Morocco, they had 50 years to grap it...
    Better dead than a Coward - Gurkha motto

Quote Originally Posted by Liberator View Post
    Sure, they might need these provinces to win - BUT if so why didn't they go there first?!
    In my Ottoman campaign I conquered Morocco - every following turn the Spainiards wanted to trade Morocco for Lombardy and Sardinia. ( Nowadays they want Mexico instead of Marocco )
    The Spainiards have captured Portugal early in my Campaign and have up to 8 (!) full armies hanging around on the iberian peninsula - If they need Morocco, they had 50 years to grap it...
    So diplomacy hasn't really been improved at all... they've just switched AI priority on taking provinces from sending endless stacks of crap to sending endless diplomatic offers, never ending and relentless.

Naw, I think the AI was programmed to be a little too passive, and the lack of naval invasions certainly exaberates this problem.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

A lack of naval invasions? Surely CA would have wanted to overuse a new feature? This thread alone is quickly putting me off buying the most recent title. I would have to sacrifice graphics a little to play it but is it worth the hassle? It does not sound like it to me.

Speaking of Armies on the Iberian peninsula there are like 10 Spanish armies sitting there on my campaign. Do they do this to everyone? Weird behaviour.

The English have maybe 20 armies standing in the West of England clustered around a port.

They have nothing to do with them, because there are no naval invasions, and they won't go to war with France, ever.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

I'm playing as UP and I've had France spam me for Madrid and some cash (less than 1000). They keep offering seed planting drill and roughly 3-5 territories in the Americas.

Because of my expansion, I've had major negatives in my relations with other European nations. Almost everybody except Britain hates me. I'm playing as 18th century Netherlands and feel like 21st century America. Anyway, the countries that I'm not trading with that I share a border with are declaring war on me one by one. It was Genoa and Venice the last time.

Praeparet bellum Member Quillan's Avatar

Oh, God, that is irritating. In my current UP campaign, every three turns it seems that France wants to trade me one worthless New World province like Windward Islands for Dutch Guyana. They usually toss in 1-2 techs with the deal, but want me to cough up a bunch of cash too. Why I would trade a province worth 3 times what you're offering is beyond me, but I wish they would stop asking. Now Russia is doing the same thing, every three turns they offer some land-locked province off in the steps for Ceylon.

And speaking of techs, does else find it weird that the AI will refuse an offer to trade 6-9 techs of yours for one of theirs, but will happily sell you that tech for 20k?
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

I actually rather enjoy the AI's constant offers for province trades.
    It lets me know that it's considering alternative methods to marching the troops in :P

Although it is slightly irritating when, for ten turns in a row, Poland attempts to buy East Prussia from me in a trade for Lithuania, then, when I BUY Lithuania from them for 80,000 Prussian Pennies, they turn around and start trying to buy Lithuania back from me.
    Strange, you were so eager to get rid of it earlier.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

yep like the turns don't take long enough i have to reject offers from russia, poland and the UP every turn. The diplomatic AI definately needs some tweaking when I offer 75000 florins 6 techs and two provinces for west prussia and the AI rejects it then proceeds in the next turn to offer me 1 tech and 1000 florins for east prussia somethings not right.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoring View Post
    Speaking of Armies on the Iberian peninsula there are like 10 Spanish armies sitting there on my campaign. Do they do this to everyone? Weird behaviour.

The English have maybe 20 armies standing in the West of England clustered around a port.

Unfortunately this is due to path-finding issues, they have cropped up in many if not all TW games and occur when some hard-coding messes up a bit. It should right itself in a few turns, most likely they right themselves anyway.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

There was a saying from M2 that you'd hear when your diplomat really messed up a deal. It was "Diplomacy has failed us this day..."

The AI needs to learn when Diplomacy fails and when it is time to go to war for what they want. Now clearly I'm not suggesting that they backstab you right after a diplomatic mission fails, but if you continually deny their advances there should ideally be a relations hit. This could then be a contributing factor to an alliance being severed as the player is not respecting the desires of the AI faction, ect. Of course what we have now is still an improvement over M2, but there is always room for refinement.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nothing beats me as Poland-Lith when Prussia wanted to trade East Prussia for West Prussia. I got a sweet deal and then they kept trying to trade back later when they realised they messed up big time.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Alp Arlsan View Post
    Unfortunately this is due to path-finding issues, they have cropped up in many if not all TW games and occur when some hard-coding messes up a bit. It should right itself in a few turns, most likely they right themselves anyway.
    Unfortunatley not, they have been building up for years, the ones in Spain (which i see every turn due to trade routes) have been there for a good 80 years.

The Breath of God Member Divine Wind's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TiberiusBeskar View Post
    Nothing beats me as Poland-Lith when Prussia wanted to trade East Prussia for West Prussia. I got a sweet deal and then they kept trying to trade back later when they realised they messed up big time.
    I had the same thing. I traded East Prussia for West Prussia, and then almost immediately they wanted to trade it back. I guess they didn't realise how ugly all the women were in West Prussia
    "To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

-It gets really annoying when the AI starts taking 5-10 minutes to finish as with Prussia I get three offer each turn and they come every few minutes so I can't really do much else than sit in front of the screen throughout that time. Instead of this stupidity you should get a negative relation modifier for each territory you hold that another nation requires, possibly one that gets bigger over time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast