Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggested Province List

Post Re: Suggested Province List

Well, let's still hope we can edit the campaign map.

Anyways, I stayed up late and managed to compile a bunch of descriptions and maps of Native American tribes in the Great Lakes area into one rough sketch:

-the major players are the Chippewa and the Iroqouis

Notes:
    -Yes, the Cree are large. But keep in mind that it's late at night, I'm tired, and this map is incomplete. The Cree are actually divided into a few different entities (i.e. Oji-Cree)

-Iroquois should have the same territory as shown in the OP minus the Ottawa territory. Their strip of land on the eastern side of the great lakes should be divided into two. IIRC, the Iroquois conquered the southern portion in the Beaver Wars. Also, the Shawnee (#9) should be their protectorate.
    -Chippewa are the major power in the western parts of the Great Lakes. They were allied with the Potawatomi (#2) and the Ottawa (#3) in the Council of Three Fires. They were the dominant force in the alliance (in fact, the Chippewa were known as the "Elder Brother" amongst the alliance, while the others were the "Middle Brother" and "Younger Brother"). The three tribes should be all allied, or vassals of the Chippewa. The Chippewa were not on friendly terms with the Dakota, Lakota (aren't on this map), and Iroqouis
    -the Chippewa territories themselves should be divided into 2-4 seperate regions. They had recently driven back the Dakota further west and south and took much of their former lands. Also, they had migrated west, as you can see. In fact, there were (and are) small numbers of Chippewa currently near the west coast of North America in British Columbia.
    -The Hurons are limited to a small plot of land near Quebec City. They are French allies, as are many of the tribes in the nearby area. These Hurons are the small-numbered survivors of the once-powerful Huron Confederacy, who were all but wiped out by the Iroquois in the Beaver Wars more than 50 years before the game's start
    -As I said earlier, this map is not complete. There are many blank spots which will be filled. Discussions will have to take place on how to incorporate these tribes into the game

Interesting Note: the violent and rapid expansion of the Chippewa and the Iroquois in the previous century was made possible mostly through acquiring firearms (mostly by trade) from the Europeans, which offered them an edge in combat against rival tribes.
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 05-02-2009 at 08:51.

Default Re: Suggested Province List

-Mecklenburg, yay!

Excluding the as yet unknown tribes on the west coast, I've got 22 Native American factions up so far. The regions are still liable to a change in the future, as are the factions themselves.

For example, the 4 northern-most factions. They are of the Cree branch, but I've divided them into 4 factions roughly based on their dialects. I'm still unsure of how to represent them.

Most of the tribes aren't represented, only the major ones. Btw, most of the colours are just things I made up on the way. They in no way represent the faction colours as they should be in-game.
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 05-03-2009 at 01:16.

With my head in the clouds and my feet on the ground

@Methuselah: where did you get that base map, and what program do you use for creating it?

Chairman
    My balloons -

It was in the OP. I edited it manually through gimp, and did not do a very good job in some places.

I did the OP pictures in Photoshop. If anyone is interested in the psd files PM me.

Also a few (of my opinions) on Methuselahs map:

1. Great job on the research! I would have no idea where to find that information.

2. Uninhabited/sparsly inhabited areas should not wilderness, rather than belong to a province. Firstly, this makes it more difficult to expand by "province hopping" and secondly it allows for much longer walking distances which in turn gives that "open land with not too much in it feeling" I like about the current NA map (Plains & New Mexico)

3. Although it might be realistic, there seem to be too many factions. Just a gut feeling though. But if we were to compare population numbers of the provinces/factions here to those of the Italian & German states... Some of this might be solved by using 2. though.
    Last edited by Darth Venom; 05-03-2009 at 12:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Venom View Post
    3. Although it might be realistic, there seem to be too many factions. Just a gut feeling though. But if we were to compare population numbers of the provinces/factions here to those of the Italian & German states... Some of this might be solved by using 2. though.
    But if we have so many factions we can stop one faction from becoming a superpower too quickly. Most of them I imagine some would have none/not many unique units so it shouldn't be too hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Have the strength of Arnold Schwarzenegger, the voice of Billy Mays and the ability to produce bull**** at a moments notice and you can be the leader of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Venom View Post
    2. Uninhabited/sparsly inhabited areas should not wilderness, rather than belong to a province. Firstly, this makes it more difficult to expand by "province hopping" and secondly it allows for much longer walking distances which in turn gives that "open land with not too much in it feeling" I like about the current NA map (Plains & New Mexico)
    Well, we could solve that by combining many of the provinces, which should in turn eliminate many of the smaller factions.

But I'm not sure about the making sparsely inhabited regions into wilderness. The whole of North America was contained a small population compared to Europe. Should the continent itself then be a wilderness?
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 05-04-2009 at 02:01.

But if we have so many factions we can stop one faction from becoming a superpower too quickly. Most of them I imagine some would have none/not many unique units so it shouldn't be too hard.
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 05-04-2009 at 02:00.

The Chosen One Member Noddy The Beefy Egg's Avatar

if you put alaska research put a new faction

On my titles, Kaiser means king in German. So i'm the king

SELLING PIRATINGS OF THIS VIDEOGAME WILL RESULT IN PUNISHMENT BY CRUSHING

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post

Excluding the as yet unknown tribes on the west coast, I've got 22 Native American factions up so far. The regions are still liable to a change in the future, as are the factions themselves.

For example, the 4 northern-most factions. They are of the Cree branch, but I've divided them into 4 factions roughly based on their dialects. I'm still unsure of how to represent them.

Most of the tribes aren't represented, only the major ones. Btw, most of the colours are just things I made up on the way. They in no way represent the faction colours as they should be in-game.
    Inuits and haidas should be put on the list. The Chumash tribe of California can be a faction for the province. And makes changes to the Inuits. Make it Eskimo. Double post! Methuselah, you are Cree, or Nēhiyawēwin, right?
    Last edited by Noddy The Beefy Egg; 05-06-2009 at 14:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Noddy The Beefy Egg View Post
    Inuits and haidas should be put on the list. The Chumash tribe of California can be a faction for the province. And makes changes to the Inuits. Make it Eskimo. Double post! Methuselah, you are Cree, or Nēhiyawēwin, right?
    It's not done yet, man. I still have to do the west coat and I'm still deciding whether the Inuit are actually worth putting in.

And yes, I'm Cree, Saulteaux, and Metis. But I grew up with a mostly-Saulteaux family.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Keep in mind, right now, it isnt easy to add all this, plus with that many new factions in that area alone, well, colours are going to be scarce.

it looks good though!
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

It's not done yet, man. I still have to do the west coat and I'm still deciding whether the Inuit are actually worth putting in.

And yes, I'm Cree, Saulteaux, and Metis. But I grew up with a mostly-Saulteaux family.
    Saulteaux? you mean Ojibwa

Exclamation Re: Suggested Province List

Quote Originally Posted by Noddy The Beefy Egg View Post
    Saulteaux? you mean Ojibwa
    Yes and no. They speak the same language with seperate dialects. Moreover, the Saulteaux largely became a plains tribe, while the Ojibwe remained in the Great Lakes area. But for simplicity's sake, I included them together as one faction.

Quote Originally Posted by Peve
    Keep in mind, right now, it isnt easy to add all this, plus with that many new factions in that area alone, well, colours are going to be scarce.

it looks good though!
    Nothing's going to happen at all unless there's a modding breathrough at the TWC.

Blog Entries

Or official mod tools.

Well, let's still hope we can edit the campaign map.

Notes:
    - But keep in mind that it's late at night, I'm tired, and this map is incomplete.
    when are you going to add more tribes?What are the tribes. add new units!

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

@ Megas Methuselah

Do you have the names to go with the 22 colors you have there?

Also the west coast would be a real bear to put together. Most were rather small and you might want to make California a Spanish region anyway. I think they left it out so there were no Pacific ports.

If you go from the Brazil trade region to the East Indies it only takes a turn.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

I'm working on a Native American mod at the TWC, and we're currently making units, i.e. skinning and modeling. Seeing as the campaign map is practically impossible to mod as of yet, completing this map isn't really a top priority for me. Besides, it's a complete WIP, and many regions are liable to be changed.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just for reference, USA and Canada are over twice the size of Europe easily.

So if you do the maps, remember to scale it right. Many maps have the America's disapproatirely small.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

oooooh I love those maps! :D This mod looks awesome enough to be a perfectly good reason to purchase ETW in its own right. :D

Blog Entries

Glad you think so.

However, without the promised mod tools from CA...

I've not seen a map editor.

I've resigned on the whole thing, but I did get ahold of this diamond mine of a map on Amerindian North America at the university. I doubt it'll be of any use, though, because, as Pervegoon already stated, we have yet to get acquire any official modding tools, and will likely never get any.

Blog Entries

I hate you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12