Thread: I must admit....

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Default I must admit....

I've essentially stopped playing the campaign game because of the numerous CTD.

But, what I been doing is playing the naval, land and seige battles to perfect my tactics and learn how the AI works and what the various difficulty settings mean.

At the moment it's quite enjoyable.

What are the rest of you doing?

Default Re: I must admit....

i am playing the game actualy have had one ctd and all my saves vere nonplayable but then i begun with GB instead

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

I haven't had any CTD's from the campaign map...there was one crash which required a hard reset, though, but I'm thinking that was a hardware issue, as my dog bumped the computer right before that. And once Russia decided that it was going to take eternity for its turn.

Anyway, the most annoying issue I've had so far is the delay in selecting units on the campaign map. It's quite annoying.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

I'm taking a break to play EB for a while, partly to await a patch that will hopefully fix my CTD-bound Austria campaign, partly just because I've been playing solidly since the game arrived.

I do still boot it up whenever I feel like a quick naval battle.

for me it was when i compleated my shortcampain everything when white and my game did not load all 20 of them :) but that did not matter that muchi just started again and almost got pummeld by france

So it seems as if some people are persevering, some are choosing another game to play and some are playing the one off battles.

Is anyone playing online?

I had a game corrupted by CTD. I crashed on the AI's turn. I couldn't load any of my saved games (auto, quick and normal save game) from that date so I had to reload one that was 3-4 turns back. I think it's related to ships. I have severe amounts of lag clicking on my navy in ports. Just clicking on the ship portraits would take a while. Some of my cities also suffer from it.

Ive been playing around with battles and camoaigns and also i have been trying online play for the 1st time in a total war game seeing as i had to use steam to run it. I guess i should try some of the others online seeing as i have most of them.

Now if only i could connect to most of the hosted games 9 times out of 10 i cant connect.
    Last edited by Tsavong; 03-23-2009 at 16:52.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

All my CTDS have been cavalry merge or Patch related. I did manage to get some memory related disappearing objects due to the fact I was writing in a program that had a memory leak earlier in the day and didn't reboot.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Member Member 5 Card Draw Champion, Mini Pool 2 Champion, Ice Hockey Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion Northnovas's Avatar

Well I finally got the game delivered and installed on the weekend, reading every related post to get a proper install and I think I did. I am trying the RTI only one CTD and that was the merge issue of armies in the city otherwise so far no major issues. Yet?

However, I am hesitant to jump into the full campiagn when I have been reading about the CTD issues during a lengthy campaign. I will hold back a bit and wait for a patch before jumping into a full campaign to prevent the frustration of an unfinished game because of CTD. Patience.....

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, I'm still campaigning. Haven't had any CTDs after the first patch, surprisingly.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had one CTD, pre-patch. Still campaigning.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

I'm playing like crazy Had to restart my GB campaign, though, because of save files crash. I very much like the game and hope it will get better with the next patch.

The campaign map seems to have some problems. Big lag when selecting fleets late in the game. It lead to CTD on the first campaign (RTI)
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

Since patching has been going on since release Iím playing an M2:TW campaign. When the dust settles Iíll begin Empire.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

no ctd's still going strong in my first long campaign, i dont get much time to play between, uni, work and the GF :)
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Haven't experienced a single CTD so I'm still going strong in my UP campaign.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Good to see a fair share of 'campaigners' happily 'campaigning' away out there.

I get a sneaking suspicion that the QA team and the developers are working some incredible hours right now. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in some of those meetings right now.

Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by AussieGiant View Post
    Good to see a fair share of 'campaigners' happily 'campaigning' away out there.

I get a sneaking suspicion that the QA team and the developers are working some incredible hours right now. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in some of those meetings right now.

Anyone else?

ooooo yess i would

only had once CTD due to ships i think. only been playing campaign since i got the gaem on the day it released.
    "Forgiveness is between them and god, my job is to arrange the meeting"

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For some reason, the battles to me seem more lacking than RTW's which wasn't perfect in itself. In Rome:Total War, you had a choice of units and could pay more for better units. In Empire:Total War, all the units are basically the same, with Line Infantry being the superior choice, especially after the upgrades and seems no reason at all pretty much to have any other unit. No real contending choices.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TiberiusBeskar View Post
    For some reason, the battles to me seem more lacking than RTW's which wasn't perfect in itself. In Rome:Total War, you had a choice of units and could pay more for better units. In Empire:Total War, all the units are basically the same, with Line Infantry being the superior choice, especially after the upgrades and seems no reason at all pretty much to have any other unit. No real contending choices.
    Less diversity is part of the chosen timeframe though, an upside is that the game is arguably better balanced than Rome (and M2, actually) because of that lack of diversity.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

True, but the fact is, I don't want the game balanced. I want tactics to make a very real difference. It just seems battles at the moment are lining up line infantry and just fire at each other. With technology, the horses become uses useless and superior units have half the men so lose out because of that.

Unfortunately, there have only been a couple of "Wow" battles, one of them was when I was heavily outnumbered but using tactics I managed to win it, and that is what I find fun. In that battle, I retreated into a town and as the enemy were mass piling men behind the buildings, I used to cut them off and load a few nades off into their ranks, then retreat doing hit and run.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."