Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KH late bodyguard

Default KH late bodyguard

Is there a late bodyguard for the KH? If so, are they hoplites or cavalry? Thanks.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default Re: KH late bodyguard

No.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

KH only has the one bodyguard. That is, unless you count the Spartan bodyguards that the starting spartans have.

Quote Originally Posted by Callicles View Post
    Is there a late bodyguard for the KH? If so, are they hoplites or cavalry? Thanks.
    They don't have any reforms, so it makes sense that they wouldn't have any late anything. From what I understand, if you play KH, you're very much going into a "what if" scenario, since the alliance between Athenai, Sparte and Rhodos only lasted a few years. -M
    My Balloons:

(>^_^;)> move it! Member Hotseat_User's Avatar

Ehhh - just a question that came in my mind while reading this: when I hire a merc-general (greek cav) and he become man of the hour or that adopting-thing, will his sons have the cav or the spartan guards?

One thing I should test in my KH-Game but maybe those of you, who have more experiece could answer that question.

greets H_U;
    orationes tuas ego laudare soleo, imitari neque possim, si velim, nec velim fortasse, si possim. [M. T. C.]

Quote Originally Posted by Mulceber View Post
    They don't have any reforms, so it makes sense that they wouldn't have any late anything. From what I understand, if you play KH, you're very much going into a "what if" scenario, since the alliance between Athenai, Sparte and Rhodos only lasted a few years. -M
    Don't they get a unit or two in the March of Time thing?

ye, the hellenic phalanx, but dunno 'bout another one.
    orationes tuas ego laudare soleo, imitari neque possim, si velim, nec velim fortasse, si possim. [M. T. C.]

yes, but that's a small trigger not a huge reform. It's not even in the FAQ as a Reform, IIRC
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: KH late bodyguard

Quote Originally Posted by Hotseat_User View Post
    Ehhh - just a question that came in my mind while reading this: when I hire a merc-general (greek cav) and he become man of the hour or that adopting-thing, will his sons have the cav or the spartan guards?
    All KH family members that come of age after the starting date get Hoplitai Epilektoi as bodyguards. Only three of the starting generals get Spartans. In your case, the recruited general would become a family member, and hence his sons would have epilektoi as bodyguards.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotseat_User View Post
    ye, the hellenic phalanx, but dunno 'bout another one.
    The Greeks only get a phalanx unit, if and when the March of Time event occurs.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    All KH family members that come of age after the starting date get Hoplitai Epilektoi as bodyguards. Only three of the starting generals get Spartans. In your case, the recruited general would become a family member, and hence his sons would have epilektoi as bodyguards.
    well, never noticed that they are different, I'll have a look. Thanks.

Btw. on first post: so there are different bodyguards later. Just right after the beginning, but there's no real difference between them. ( I would say - but correct me )
    Last edited by Hotseat_User; 03-25-2009 at 12:29.

KH generals start with two types of bodyguards depending on their origins. Athenians and Rhodians have Distuinguished type, a real fancy guys. They are as strong as Spartans and as capable. This type is your default one for the whole game:

Now, to spice things up a bit, EB team gave starting Spartan generals (and spawned Carthaginian general Xanthippos to be exact) different bodyguard, Spartan Hoplites:

Spartan generals (like the guy on Rhodos) you start with use those. But their sons will be using the default type. Which isn't any worse so no big loss except role-playing suffering from this.

Default AW: Re: KH late bodyguard

Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    Spartan generals (like the guy on Rhodos) you start with use those. But their sons will be using the default type. Which isn't any worse so no big loss except role-playing suffering from this.
    I think you mean Krete, but everything else is correct.

Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam
    Last edited by Zett; 03-25-2009 at 14:55.

Balloon Count: 4

My Greek Nobles:
    from satalexton, his name is Plato
    from satalexton, his name is Sōkrátēs
    from satalexton, his nam is Aristotélēs

Proud Product of Slave Labor Member ezekiel2517's Avatar

But their sons will be using the default type. Which isn't any worse so no big loss except role-playing suffering from this.
    i am pretty sure the sons of Akrotatos have spartans as well.
    Last edited by ezekiel2517; 03-25-2009 at 17:35.

"Kaneda! What do you see?"

Quote Originally Posted by ezekiel2517 View Post
    i am pretty sure the sons of Akrotatos have spartans as well.
    All new generated familymembers (also the babys at ther start of the game) will have Epilektoi Hoplitai as bodyguards. All Spartan familymembers that are 'adult' at the start of the game will have Spartan bodyguards.

Last edited by Zett; 03-25-2009 at 17:47.

My Greek Nobles:

maybe i do not understand what you are trying to say but...

He's talking about the bodyguards, not about the ethnicity trait.

The decendants of your spartan FMs will have the Spatiates ethnicity, yet they won't have Spartiates Hoplitai as their BGs.
    Last edited by Tolg; 03-25-2009 at 18:40.

The first round of the tournament has started. Who's going to prevail?

Gladius or Sarissa, Scutum or Aspis?

Quote Originally Posted by Tolg View Post
    He's talking about the bodyguards, not about the ethnicity trait.

The decendants of your spartan FMs will have the Spatiates ethnicity, yet they won't have Spartiates Hoplitai as their BGs.
    i will have to march him to battle to see

damn, i had not noticed before

I suppose the very good stamina to good stamina will not be such a dreadful difference
    Last edited by ezekiel2517; 03-25-2009 at 18:47.

But theoretically wouldn't a spartan prefer to have his own kin as bodyguard, rather than some greeks from who knows where? They were the most close minded, war centered greeks, it only makes sense to give spartans a spartan guard, look at the elite spartans who followed leonidas at thermopilae(sp?), they were the royal guard IIRC. Anyway is it even possible that generals with different ethnicities get different bodyguards? For example the Nervi would get the belgae heavy cavalry and the galatians galatian heavy cavalry, just an idea.
    Last edited by Cyrus; 03-26-2009 at 00:30.

Italians do it better! Chi dice donna dice guai. Abbi donna di te minore, se vuoi essere signore. Donne e buoi dei paesi tuoi. Fiume, grondaia e donna parlatora mandano l'uomo di casa fuora.
    And my personal favorite: "Non rimuovere il confine antico fissato dai tuoi padri". In english: "Do not remove the anchent border placed by your fathers". It looses something in the translation......

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

You know how historically accurate EB is. The fact that they made the Spartiates have Spartan bodyguards in the first place shows that. I can assure you, it is not possible for the second-generation Spartans to have them.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    Anyway is it even possible that generals with different ethnicities get different bodyguards? For example the Nervi would get the belgae heavy cavalry and the galatians galatian heavy cavalry, just an idea.
    I don't think so. It's hard coded.

My Greek Nobles:

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: KH late bodyguard

But theoretically wouldn't a spartan prefer to have his own kin as bodyguard, rather than some greeks from who knows where?
    But Epilektoi aren't recruited from random places: the represent the elite warriors of a polis. Athenian generals will have Athenian Epilektoi, Corinthian will haves Corinthians, and so on. Spartan hoplites are actually a regional variant of the Epilektoi.

Varying bodyguard type based on traits is not possible in the R:TW engine.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by ezekiel2517 View Post
    i will have to march him to battle to see
    You don't need to go into battle, just march him out of a city and open up his merc recruitment menu, theres a little button that lets you see his bodyguard unit card.

But theoretically wouldn't a spartan prefer to have his own kin as bodyguard, rather than some greeks from who knows where? They were the most close minded, war centered greeks, it only makes sense to give spartans a spartan guard, look at the elite spartans who followed leonidas at thermopilae(sp?), they were the royal guard IIRC. Anyway is it even possible that generals with different ethnicities get different bodyguards? For example the Nervi would get the belgae heavy cavalry and the galatians galatian heavy cavalry, just an idea.
    Its either:

All KH generals have Spartans

Or

All KH generals have the Somatophylakes Strategou (from eb site) and starting Spartans get Spartan guards.

Theres no halfway here, remember the KH represent a unified Greek City state, YOU AREN'T JUST SPARTE.

You could just roleplay that as the KH formed itself into a Unified Greek nation they formed a new elite bodyguard consisting of the best warriors of every city, the Unified guard unit representing a new bond of trust between all Free Greek Polis'
    Last edited by Rilder; 03-26-2009 at 17:02.

KH generals start with two types of bodyguards depending on their origins. Athenians and Rhodians have Distuinguished type, a real fancy guys. They are as strong as Spartans and as capable. This type is your default one for the whole game:

Now, to spice things up a bit, EB team gave starting Spartan generals (and spawned Carthaginian general Xanthippos to be exact) different bodyguard, Spartan Hoplites:

The Spartans also cost upkeep, while the distinguished hoplites do not. Hence, later Spartan generals will be less costly than their predecessors.
    From Fluvius Camillus for my Alexander screenshot

I said only those with spartiates as ethnicity would get the spartan BG. Did u even read my entire post? And anyway as i already said i doubt a spartan would like to have a greek from who knows where as a BG.

Italians do it better! Chi dice donna dice guai. Abbi donna di te minore, se vuoi essere signore. Donne e buoi dei paesi tuoi. Fiume, grondaia e donna parlatora mandano l'uomo di casa fuora.
    And my personal favorite: "Non rimuovere il confine antico fissato dai tuoi padri". In english: "Do not remove the anchent border placed by your fathers". It looses something in the translation......

seems to me like it was already explained

I said only those with spartiates as ethnicity would get the spartan BG. Did u even read my entire post? And anyway as i already said i doubt a spartan would like to have a greek from who knows where as a BG.
    As already explained, except for starting and script spawned generals, it is impossible to have different family members using different types of body guard units.
    Last edited by Rilder; 03-26-2009 at 21:01.

No, no, no i know it can't be done i was just repeting what i said to rilder, who seemed to not have completely read my post, since he said: "Theres no halfway here, remember the KH represent a unified Greek City state, YOU AREN'T JUST SPARTE." tells me that he didn't, since i had just explained that only those with spartan ethnicities would get them. And anyway what exactly is it that blocks us? hardcoding?

And this is your role-playing answer:

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    But Epilektoi aren't recruited from random places: the[y] represent the elite warriors of a polis. Athenian generals will have Athenian Epilektoi, Corinthian will haves Corinthians, and so on. Spartan hoplites are actually a regional variant of the Epilektoi.

Varying bodyguard type based on traits is not possible in the R:TW engine.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Your right med sorry 'bout that i forgot to edit that post since it was written hastefuly and i hadn't finished reading all the posts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast