Thread: RPG Games that are like KOTOR

Default RPG Games that are like KOTOR

Alright, I don't really have much experience with this genre, but I did play and like KOTOR I (that's pretty much it; I played KOTOR II and thought it was OK, but not great). Anyway, what fairly recent games would give me a similar experience? I'm thinking about Mass Effect or The Witcher, but I'm not sure which to go with. Which of the two would you all recommend, and are there any that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : RPG Games that are like KOTOR

Are you only looking for RPG's or for RPG's with a sci-fi setting?

For the former, you should check NWN2 and its first addon Mask of the Betrayer. It's not as good as BG2 in my opinion, but still a more than decent RPG.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: RPG Games that are like KOTOR

Jade Empire, basicly Kotor in a fantasy asian setting. Didn't do it for me but it's loved by many an orger. Haven't played Mass Effect, supposed to be very good.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Mass Effect is basically KotOR without lightsabers. And with an irritating driving minigame. I didn't see what the fuss was about.

Have you played Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines? If you apply the fan-made patches it's a pretty impressive first-person RPG. Really great writing and voice acting. Not sure if it's what you're looking for, though.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Mass Effect is basically KotOR without lightsabers. And with an irritating driving minigame. I didn't see what the fuss was about.
    I thought the vehicle was actually quite fun to drive. Between Mass Effect and The Witcher I would go for Mass Effect, it's party based like KotOR, set in a sci-fi environment and I personally thought it was a better game.

Thanks all for the help

I went with Mass Effect. It's pretty good: KOTOR without out the lightsabers, but I'm OK with that. I hate the Maiko so, so much though. I would almost rather just walk around on foot. But other than that it's a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    I hate the Maiko so, so much though. I would almost rather just walk around on foot. But other than that it's a lot of fun.
    If your party is at a decent level with good equipment, use the mako like a chariot. Drive it up close to the enemies, get out, and battle on foot. That's how I got through hardcore and insanity; the mako is a death trap on those settings.

Just make sure you don't get hit by the big slow purple blob the armatures fire. It's a one hit kill unless you're a soldier with high level armour and maxed immunity running. Then you will survive it with a droplet of health.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    If your party is at a decent level with good equipment, use the mako like a chariot. Drive it up close to the enemies, get out, and battle on foot. That's how I got through hardcore and insanity; the mako is a death trap on those settings.
    IIRC, I started out using the Mako was a sniper vehicle- you could hit enemies out of range, or from behind cover.

However, you are absolutely right that you should fight on foot even if you are tempted to do otherwise. Kills made with the Mako have a huge experience penalty- something like 70% !

FWIW, I actually enjoyed driving the Mako for the most part.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 03-29-2009 at 20:39.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post

Just make sure you don't get hit by the big slow purple blob the armatures fire. It's a one hit kill unless you're a soldier with high level armour and maxed immunity running. Then you will survive it with a droplet of health.
    That's a great idea. I'll definitely start doing that as soon my squad gains a few levels.

I actually don't mind the idea of the Mako, but the damn thing is so hard to control that I end up going over a cliff every 2 minutes. I'm usually OK at driving vehicles in games, but I just should not be allowed anywhere near the controls of anything that shaky. Even when I don't go over the cliff, I'm always crashing into stuff. And flipping over.

Bioware did a decent job with the racing mini game in KOTOR, so I'm not sure why the Mako ended up being so hard to control.

edit - I'm playing on PC. I imagine that it's probably a lot less annoying to control with a gamepad, so if you're playing on a console you're experience with the Mako is probably a lot more positive.
    Last edited by Mongoose; 03-29-2009 at 22:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    I'm not sure why the Mako ended up being so hard to control.
    You're not trying to steer by 'looking' are you? I.e. holding forwards on the movement controls and shifting the camera left or right to steer. I know many players do that in 3D games; I certainly do. In the mako all that does is swivel the gun turret. You have to steer by pressing right and left. Counter-intuitive at first.

The other trick to get used to is the low gravity. You're always in what feels like low gravity, whichever planet you land on. Get used to bumping higher than you'd expect. Bumping is not a problem unless it flips you upside down when enemies are around. If you get flipped the mako will always right itself so the best thing to do is to drop the controls and wait.

Oh - make sure you use the cannon in combat. The machine gun sounds like frozen peas rattling on a tin roof and does about as much damage.

The level I learned to drive on had lava beside the paths. Leave the road and you got melted in a cutscene
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.