Thread: Changing Nvidia Fan Speeds

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Default Changing Nvidia Fan Speeds

How do I increase the Fan Speed on an EVGA Nvidia GTS 250?
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Default Re: Changing Nvidia Fan Speeds

I've downloaded Rivatuner. Anybody know how to use it? I's love some tips before I start fiddling with my registry. yikes
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Two things.

First, a tip. Do not mess with programs that give you very low level control of your system unless you have a VERY, VERY good idea of exactly what it is you are doing and what your intentions and goals are. This means 99.999% of PC users should never touch this stuff. Unless you have a very good technical grasp of how your system works inside and out (and the patience and wherewithall to reinstall Windows after messing it up totally), or have very deep pockets and don't mind breaking things, then I wouldn't mess with what you are doing and uninstall/delete Rivatuner.

Second, let's look at a different angle. Why do you care about your video card's fan speed? The Nvidia card and drivers do a wonderful job of managing the situation themselves. Is it too loud? Or is it overheating? Please elaborate on what your actual, core issue is.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
    Two things.

First, a tip. Do not mess with programs that give you very low level control of your system unless you have a VERY, VERY good idea of exactly what it is you are doing and what your intentions and goals are. This means 99.999% of PC users should never touch this stuff. Unless you have a very good technical grasp of how your system works inside and out (and the patience and wherewithall to reinstall Windows after messing it up totally), or have very deep pockets and don't mind breaking things, then I wouldn't mess with what you are doing and uninstall/delete Rivatuner.

Second, let's look at a different angle. Why do you care about your video card's fan speed? The Nvidia card and drivers do a wonderful job of managing the situation themselves. Is it too loud? Or is it overheating? Please elaborate on what your actual, core issue is.
    Good tips. It seems to have been overheating on full graphic settings, but hopefully that will be resolved when the new patch is done. A number of nvidia users have reported kaleidoscopes on full setting after a few minutes (It would happen to me between 10 and 50 mins before I toned it done just a little.)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Doesn't the Nvidia control panel have fan settings? It should be auto by default, but I think there's a manual setting where you could just set it to max when running 3d apps.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    Good tips. It seems to have been overheating on full graphic settings, but hopefully that will be resolved when the new patch is done. A number of nvidia users have reported kaleidoscopes on full setting after a few minutes (It would happen to me between 10 and 50 mins before I toned it done just a little.)
    Two things come to mind immediately.

First, the more probably one is that you do not have adequate airflow inside of and around your PC case. New video cards run hot enough to cook a goat, and for serious gaming you NEED to have good airflow within your case in order for the cards to not throttle back and/or fry themselves. Make sure your case has good, working fans, and that they're moving a good amount of air in a consistent direction, usually front to back and down to up.

Second, it is possible that you have a defective card and/or defective cooling fan. This is not that likely, but it still happens. Check to make sure the fan is spooled all the way up during intense gaming sessions and that you can discern a reasonable airflow coming from the card's exhaust vents.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I