Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New hot fix

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Default New hot fix

There is a hotfix for Empire just released which I'm currently downloading. Not sure what it fixes...
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 03-25-2009 at 18:36.

Default Re: New hot fix

Just saw that pop up as well.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Announcement from the ETW Steam group:

The new update for Empire Total War is out, so hopefully, the most irritating bugs and crashes are fixed.

Enjoy.
    In other words, I think we're all waiting to see.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Check out hooahguy's thread further down, that explains what it has. No gameplay updates mostly CTD related.

Empire: Total War

Multiplayer – can now find friends across regions

Load time detection on trade routes to fix pathfinding crash in campaign

Some General Sound balancing improvements

Fixed UI Chat hang when spectator leaves unranked match with 3+ players

Varies Campaign Crash Fixes

Some Save/Load fixes

Boarding fix where cannon crew board order was not being deleted properly causing crash

Fix to kill characters instantly to stop crashes in campaign on agent/general deaths

Save games limited to 1000

Fix to animation glitch causing repetitive sounds when battle is launched

Insane Imperialist. Member Feanaro's Avatar
    The Greatest Country I've Ever Visited, the USA. The only country I've ever visited but still.

Quicker than I figured. Downloading...
    Due to the ailing economy, this space has been foreclosed.

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

Nice fix but Empire isn't starting anymore.
    Tosa Inu

Tried it, and then tried to load a campaign that was crashing before, but not impressed - the LOAD screen now hangs ! I'll try a reboot and see if that helps...

Quote Originally Posted by Bornslippy View Post
    Tried it, and then tried to load a campaign that was crashing before, but not impressed - the LOAD screen now hangs ! I'll try a reboot and see if that helps...
    Chances are any save/load fixes will only be for new games, I'd be very surprised if they managed to get corrupted saves going again.

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Before going completely "radio rental" about the patch, I'd start a new game and see what happens, johnhughthom has a good point.

Err - I beg to differ but that means that anyone in the process of playing one or more games loses all but their current game. I don't know about you but campaign games take days and tend to fit in around the rest of my life. I can understand if already corrupted files are not fixed, but existing ones which are working fine ...?

Also, I have rebooted and the load screen simply hangs. You can only <Continue> your current campaign, which I suppose is something. Trying to <load> simply shows no saved games, and bringing up <Load> after selecting single player hangs. Very poor testing I suggest ?

I can start the game now. I just had to copy the original Bink video back to the Empire folder. Have not noticed any improvements but can play the game now.
    Tosa Inu

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bornslippy View Post
    Err - I beg to differ but that means that anyone in the process of playing one or more games loses all but their current game. I don't know about you but campaign games take days and tend to fit in around the rest of my life. I can understand if already corrupted files are not fixed, but existing ones which are working fine ...?

Also, I have rebooted and the load screen simply hangs. You can only <Continue> your current campaign, which I suppose is something. Trying to <load> simply shows no saved games, and bringing up <Load> after selecting single player hangs. Very poor testing I suggest ?
    If they are changing code then the only way to be sure you have a clean shot is to start again. If you have a CTD it could be in the save and it might not. You will never be sure until you start again.

with stat changes ect imagine all previous games are toast becuase things wont sync......will probally have to start new campain

Quote Originally Posted by AussieGiant View Post
    If they are changing code then the only way to be sure you have a clean shot is to start again. If you have a CTD it could be in the save and it might not. You will never be sure until you start again.
    Well that's certainly one way, but equally certainly it is not the only way and probably not the best way - how about validating when you load a file ? And a CTD is just poor coding.

I can continue and I could load saved games. But CA has introduced a new strange bug. When I save no saved games show up and I can only see the map of north America suggesting I am playing the USA while I am playing Russia. Typing the name of my saved game gives me the normal message that I am replacing an old file and I can save the game. Immediately saving works fine but next turn I had a blank screen again suggesting I was the USA. This can maybe because the fix isn't save game compatible but It would be nice if I was notified about that.
    Tosa Inu

Another disappointment! This hot fix fails to fix a lot of hardware incompatibilities with Empire. Despite a full reinstall, Empire still has the crash fleet issue and disbanding a general still CTD's. The game still crashing at the end of the turn with the Microsoft error "Empire has stopped working...".

I've been putting up with a non-functioning game for over 3 weeks. Time to start visit places like Amazon and giving this coaster a one star rating.

Hopefully it will be fixed in the subsequant patches read the next patch update topic @ verosoz.

How big is this patch?

Hmm. Not an unqualified success.

By coincidence, I was just about to start a game as the British. The patch installed. I now get a CTD after my first naval battle.

Before the patch, I had no problems (although I've only played RTI and a short Maratha campaign so far).

Newtownards, Co.Down, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

Damn was hoping maybe a map would be included following the questionnaire on the official forums...atleast no more of what ever it fixed.

"Where some states have an army, the Prussian Army has a state!"
    - Voltaire

"There is no mistake; there has been no mistake; and there shall be no mistake."
    - 1st Duke of Wellington, Arthur Wellesley

No place like home.

Stop talking about giving a game 1 star because it's a bit buggy, or using it as a coaster. The only reason this game is so buggy compared to other games that are released, lets compare it to, i don't know, DOOM 3, is because DOOM 3 is a mindless shooter with no substance, and a game like that takes only a few months to put together.

This game is absolutely massive, and even with several years to work on it it still isn't enough time, but 3-6 months from now it will be fully patched up and working fine.

I knew this game was going to be buggy when it was released and so did everybody else. You weren't forced to buy it and play a buggy unfinished game, you weren't forced at all, the choice was yours. You could have waited an extra 6 months until it was fully patched up to buy and play.

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

How does one know if the if the hot fix has been applied. I saw this thread on my old PC while I was playing the game on my new rig. I ended my game, signed off of Steam, rebooted my system, and started the game up again, which of course is preceded by the Steam sign on. I got no messages about a download and the game just started up like normal.

I restarted Steam again with no observable message or delay in starting the game. Since these fixes don't appear to have version numbers nor have I seen any such notations in the game, how does one know if they are getting properly updated.

I have Steam set up to notify me of updates and such and in the past when I tried to start a game such as HL2, I would actually see an update message, and the start of the game might be delayed a bit. This is not happening with me for Empires.

Several people posted that the fix/patch was being downloaded as they were posting. Any ideas why others would they see this and I don't?

Thanks
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

It might be just me but after I downloaded the patch and got into a land battle some of the sounds were off. Id hear random musket shots and not in sync with what I am seeing like I would see a line of infantry shoot together but the shot sounds would be scattered. I dont know its hard to explain. There would also be a delay like when Id click on a unit I would have to wait a few seconds then I would hear them say what they are. Same thing on when I click and tell them where to go. Anyone else get this or is it just me.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodshed View Post
    It might be just me but after I downloaded the patch and got into a land battle some of the sounds were off. Id hear random musket shots and not in sync with what I am seeing like I would see a line of infantry shoot together but the shot sounds would be scattered. I dont know its hard to explain. There would also be a delay like when Id click on a unit I would have to wait a few seconds then I would hear them say what they are. Same thing on when I click and tell them where to go. Anyone else get this or is it just me.
    A lot of people reporting this at twcenter, not noticed it myself.

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

1000 savegame limit...wouldn't that take up about 5GB?

Continued my game as France. Next turn there was a land battle (same as last night). Game crashed just as the remaining British forces started to retreat. (Same as last night). Wonderful.

Default Sv: Re: New hot fix

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    A lot of people reporting this at twcenter, not noticed it myself.
    Had that problem myself.
    But I remembed that I had a sound mod installed.
    I removed that, verified and problem gone.
    Atleast so far.

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

I am now getting White Screen CTDs when I had none pre-patch. But I am playing RtI Part III - which may be bugged.

Fingers crossed as I go back to the Grand Campaign.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Insane Imperialist. Member Feanaro's Avatar
    The Greatest Country I've Ever Visited, the USA. The only country I've ever visited but still.

Works fine for me.
    Due to the ailing economy, this space has been foreclosed.

post land- and naval battle CTDs. wow thats a new one...

on the positive side so far i have experienced no click-on-fleet-CTDs and no corrupted savegame *fingers crossed*.

but the new post battle CTDs render the game completely unplayable now.

EDIT: got the game to progress by replaying the same naval battle three times. at last! encountered a new gem during the next naval battle: the game just froze and forced me to reboot the computer. it has done this to me during AI turns previously but never during battles. :/
    Last edited by Heinrich VI; 03-26-2009 at 01:37.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast