Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FoxNews makes fun of Canadian Troops

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: FoxNews makes fun of Canadian Troops

Happening Now- No.
    Studio B- Alright.
    Fox Report- See above, again, mainly because Smith actually has a semblance of consistency.

Alright, I'll give you that Fox does have a couple adequate news shows. Assuming, of course, you know which way they lean.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

The problem is that nobody makes a distinction between news and pundits.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    The problem is that nobody makes a distinction between news and pundits.
    That's because, in a lot of cases, pundits have become the news.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

I like Bill O'Riley
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    I like Bill O'Riley
    Yes, he's hilarious.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seireikhaan View Post
    Happening Now- No.
    Studio B- Alright.
    Fox Report- See above, again, mainly because Smith actually has a semblance of consistency.

Alright, I'll give you that Fox does have a couple adequate news shows. Assuming, of course, you know which way they lean.
    What? Where's 'Special Report'? That's the only show that's on FoxNews that I find worth watching. I think it's slid a peg since Brit Hume semi-retired, but it's still the best show on the network(or probably any of the 24hr news networks), imo.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post
    I'll add:
    This
    and this.

Well that's helpful, as someone intrested in foriegn affairs what are the chances i know of these events... i wonder...

When i say we i was talking as a british poster to a british poster with a quote where he was responding to a comment about european terrorist attacks, which is why i mentioned the madrid attacks as well

I guess i could be more specific... swop we for britian...
    Ah, I see. You know why that is, right?

It's because your country decided not to bother the Islamic terrorists using London as a base to launch attacks on other countries in Europe, like France, in exchange for the Islamists not attacking Britain.

So the lack of attacks was paid for with the blood of others.
    Now, as I said, I don't really give a damn about the outrage itself, its source, the show. I'm talking broadly about FoxNews. That channel is well known for producing huge pile of crap on a daily basis.
    Have you ever watched it? Somewhat extensively, instead of just a snippet? Or is this the old 'if enough people repeat the same thing it'll become common knowledge thing'? I'm not saying they're perfect or unbiased but the allegations are usually over the top.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

I'll add:
    This
    and this.

Well thanks guys... where would i be without you... is someone going to give me a wiki link to the london and madrid bombings... it would be about as helpful...

Is someone going to give me a wiki article about simple addition next ?

Ah, I see. You know why that is, right?

Because Iraq increased the terror threat in europe... among other things...

It's because your country decided not to bother the Islamic terrorists using London as a base to launch attacks on other countries in Europe

Already know about it... remember someone criticising the tories for the policy... still doesn't change the fact that the Iraq war increased our terror threat...

The terrorists attacked us and then we stopped letting them roam free... so obviously just letting them roam free doesn't stop them attacking you... hmm i wonder what that leaves...
    Last edited by LittleGrizzly; 03-26-2009 at 10:44.
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Gutfield Apologizes.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    On a "Red Eye" segment from the March 17 show, we covered an item on the Canadian military's proposed synchronized break.

Being a comedy show, the point of the segment was to humorously discuss the concept of a year-long break. Since then, however, we've received messages accusing us of denigrating the fine work of Canada's soldiers.

Let me make this clear: "Red Eye" has never been anti-military.

On the contrary, we are one of the most vocal supporters of the brave work done by those who defend their countries, particularly those fighting side by side with American troops on the front lines of the War on Terror.

However, as a light-hearted show with a satirical point of view, we sometimes go over the line. And in this case, I obviously did not intend to offend your national pride and love of military service.

I apologize.

FoxNEWS is to News, as Military Intelligence is to... well, you know. :)

With the exception of the 2-minute "news Breaks" every half-hour from 0900 to 1600, FoxNews isn't news at all; rather it's FoxCommentary, all day every day.

Who watches FoxNoose at 0300? Insomniacs and drunks, right? Still, apparently Fox Management has figured out that denigrating an ally's military wasn't smart, or hip, or funny.

-edit-
    Gregoshi's vid-clip got pulled, but here is a photo-montage of the attention and respect Canadians show their fallen soldiers, on the Highway of Heros.
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 03-26-2009 at 13:53.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : FoxNews makes fun of Canadian Troops

The video from the OP is outrageous. It makes me angry. I mean...Canadians? Why would any American speak this disrespectful of Canadians?

I am not all that familiar with the US media, so I shall rely on the judgement of the American posters and accept that it is but a trivial late-night show of little relevance.

Even so...much of the tone, the very nature of the comments, does not sound unfamiliar. When you make this sort of 'jokes', you do so in within a wider scheme of social expectations. Because your audience understands the humour. Thinks it is funny, full of good, or even relevant, zingers.
    It is not the first time I've seen this sort of video, not the first time I've read or seen this sort of political satire.

This show, however much at late-night, is still on a major nationwide network, it is not a local talkradio for 500 listeners. I thought the jingoism, the insults, the military 'patriotism' (i.e. if you don't toe the line, you must a fool and a coward), the disrespect of it all had slowly faded away after the low point in 2003/2004. One would think even Fox' audience had learned at what great cost to American lives, finances and prestige this jingoism has proven to come.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

The guy in charge of the show (rather, its host) Greg Gutfeld has made a career of snarkey, sarcastic, frat-boy so-called "humor", that would never have passed the sniff-test in the immediate aftermath of 9-11. Apparently, enough time has passed since that event, that TV producers think it's OK now - at least at 0300. The Gutfeld guy, according to the Wiki-Bio, doesn't hang on to his gigs very long; I suspect his stint on Red Eye will go away soon, too.

And he'll be all hurt and offended: "It was just a joke! I mean, C'mon!". And his next assignment will be writing commercial advertisements for breakfast cereals. And a book that won't sell.

Louis's point:
    This show, however much at late-night, is still on a major nationwide network, it is not a local talkradio for 500 listeners.
    is well-taken. If a show made in New York gets shown live in California, it's also available to the 90% of Canadians living within broadcast distance of the american border. Forgetting that is a major "oopsie" on the part of Fox.

I knew the level of 'humor' was gonna be low after the second or third sentence, where he makes fun of Gen Leslie's name. It was obviously only downhill after that, with each talking head trying to outdo the previous one for outrageousness.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    With the exception of the 2-minute "news Breaks" every half-hour from 0900 to 1600, FoxNews isn't news at all; rather it's FoxCommentary, all day every day.

Gregoshi's vid-clip got pulled...
    Maybe I don't get out and around that much but this is the first time I've seen anyone sum up Fox"News" correctly. And thanks for supplying a replacement video for my missing link Kukri. It looks like the same sequence of pictures as the slideshow I got from my dad minus the pan & zoom effects.

If Red Eye is a humour show, they need to get some people who know how to do humour. I think the cast sounds too much like the actual commentarians at the network (at least for this infrequent FoxNews viewer) to distinguish the humour from the serious. They are missing those over-the-top visual and audio cues (a la The Daily Show and The Colbert Report) that tell the viewer "I make joke ha ha". Or in Org terms, they need to use emoticons in their show.

In reflection, my "ticked off" state of mind came from 1) seeing the "Highway of Heroes" piece followed shortly thereafter by the Red Eye segment; and 2) not understanding that Red Eye was meant as a comedy show. Now I see the Red Eye segment as simply unfunny (worse than "not funny") and in poor taste. Me thinks FoxNews should steer clear of the, ahem, funny stuff. Their attempts so far make them the Hindenburg of comedy.
    This space intentionally left blank

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Am I the only who think that entire thing was a joke???

Not a very funny one, true, but a joke. Both Canada and US are free countries, people have the right to make fun of anything they want, I don't understand what's the big deal...

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post

Not a very funny one, true, but a joke. Both Canada and US are free countries, people have the right to make fun of anything they want, I don't understand what's the big deal...
    I think most people in this thread are conceding the fact it was a joke. The man even admitted it himself, it was a stab at humor that failed horribly.

That doesn't mean, since it was a joke, that people cannot be upset if they so choose. Especially considering the subject material, when you make light of another country's military you're opening yourself a great big can of worms. If you happen to go about it in the tasteless and juvenile way that Mr. Gutfield did, then you deserve every bit of fallout you get imho.

To paraphrase George Carlin: I have the right to do as I please, but I also believe that if I do something you don't like, you have the right to punch me in the mouth.
    Last edited by Monk; 03-26-2009 at 17:27.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Nope, it's not just you.... I'm completely mystified as to why this is such big news.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    Nope, it's not just you.... I'm completely mystified as to why this is such big news.
    Because there is a guy in Canada named Leslie!! Get it?
    This space intentionally left blank

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Post Re: FoxNews makes fun of Canadian Troops

*sigh*

Liberals are ever-so keen to notice Fox's shortcomings. And with their lion's share of media, criticism of conservative channels is ever-so simple. Just go to the Wikipedia article on "Fox News Channel controversies". It is humongous. The most frightening thing is that the "Controversies" article is substantially larger than the Fox News main article itself.

As a contrast, there is not even a page for "MSNBC News Channel controversies". Just an average-sized sub-section titled "Controversies", that is present in just about any article on anything, Including the Fox News article. Intelligent, seemingly normal/moderate liberals call Fox a "propaganda machine" while the moderate conservatives are barely raising a voice...

Despite this, I am not denying Fox is without shortcomings. I like them because they are less politically correct. However, just check out this example of seeming bias:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Two liberals had their photographs editing, or so it seems, to present a more unfavourable impression

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

One of my teachers is a big conservative and he has Fox on the tv every morning for about 15 minutes (Its a computer class, and we just surf the web in that time). I have YET to see a piece of serios news come out of that garbage. Its either some kid beating up a dog with Judo or someone surviving a plane crash. The whole time with a old man that looks like he has a fake smile and a dumb blonde, both telling "jokes" only a person my father's age would chuckle at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    One thing you NEVER do is make fun of the Canadian military. Especially if your a yank, and definitatly not like he did.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

This one time, on NBC, at 4 am, a smarthy talker who hosted of of NBCs 8,754 television shows said something that really got under my skin. How dare NBC allow him to say that, and by not issuing an immediate apology for that thing that got under my skin NBC made it very obvious that the entire network and its affiliates and its advertisers support the radical NBC agenda of doing that thing that got under my skin
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    One thing you NEVER do is make fun of the Canadian military. Especially if your a yank, and definitatly not like he did.
    Come on, why is Canadian military above jokes? Or US, UK, French, Belgian or any other for that matter? What's the big deal? Because he's an American? Would it be ok if a Greek did it?

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : FoxNews makes fun of Canadian Troops

Quote Originally Posted by EMFM
    Fox News and MSNBC are the same thing. You can't hate on one without hating on the other. The actual news parts of Fox News aren't bad either.
    I never ever heard about MSNBC being as outrageous as FoxNews.
    Now, let's admit that MSNBC is as biased as FoxNews is (which is quite possible I guess), it doesn't make it nearly as stupid.
    - Firstly, accusation of liberal bias in the US are pretty stupid. What the conservative members would call a pinko-communist-hippie-terrorists channel in the US would probably appear as slightly leftist everywhere else in the western world.
    - Secondly, the right is historically well-known for being much more offensive and outrageous with its propaganda. I'm not even talking about far-right, mind you. Since the 19th century, it has assimilated the idea that the left is actually trying to destroy civilization and is thus much more agressive than traditional leftist propaganda (I'm not talking about Marxists, Trostkysts or Left-Anarchists). Leftist propaganda is at least a bit more subtle.

But for the sake of the discussion, let's say that I dislike MSNBC (according to your claim that it's as biased as FoxNews). Can't really say I hate it, because, as noted earlier, I never received a link to a completely outrageous and stupid MSNBC show (though I just found out it was considered the most biased channel according to a poll conducted in 2004).

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou
    Once again, if a Canadian show on one of the main canadian channel started to call US soldiers 'cowards' or 'mass murderers', I'm pretty sure some people here would get quite pissed off.
    Now, I can't say I understand the way Canadians regard their military. Things is, it caused an outrage, and there's no way FoxNews wouldn't know it beforehand. I mean, I know that insulting the Canadian military is like, "BIG DEAL". There's now way that Greg Gutfield did not.

Quote Originally Posted by CR
    Have you ever watched it? Somewhat extensively, instead of just a snippet? Or is this the old 'if enough people repeat the same thing it'll become common knowledge thing'? I'm not saying they're perfect or unbiased but the allegations are usually over the top.
    No, I have never watched FoxNews. And no, I'll never watch it anyway. To be honest,
    American and Canadian TV is so ridiculously stupid that I haven't bothered to watch it since I understood that its only point was to brainwash people with constant flows of advertising and commercials (most of them being completely unfunny, too long and too repetitive).
    That alone is sad for your democracy.

Then, as I said earlier in this post, I quite often receive links to FoxNews videos, and most of the time, I'm like "WTF?". It's not simple bias. I could understand bias. What puzzle me, is the amount of racism, biggotry, personal attacks, plain errors and lies.
    Now mind you, I'm pretty sure people who spend their time criticizing FoxNews have their own interests, and it would be faire to assume that most of them are leftist/democrats. But it doesn't make the links, the biggotry, the personal attacks and what not any less real.

Then, if you have link to MSNBC (or any other channel) bias, lies, personal attacks, racism, etc., I'll happilly have a look at it. As I said, I don't have much respect for American TV channels* (and neither do I have for french ones). I'd be more than glad to make fun of your leftist crap. I've only talked about FoxNews because it is well known for its crap, and because it created huge outrage in Canada a few days ago.

*I admit you still have some decent commentary/comedy shows, but I only watch them on internet, as I really can't be arsed to watch all this advertising. I don't consider O'Reilly to be funny. From all I know, he rather looks like a conservative idiot who try - yet fail horribly - to be funny, and who doesn't hesitate to spread misinformation when it fits his right-winged anti-muslim agenda.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian
    Come on, why is Canadian military above jokes? Or US, UK, French, Belgian or any other for that matter? What's the big deal? Because he's an American? Would it be ok if a Greek did it?
    No military is above jokes. Thing is, in that case, the guy - working for a TV channel that thouroughly(sp?) supported Bush's brillantly executed War on Terror - is making fun of the military of a country that had actually no interests in joining this stupid war, and whose soldiers are losing their life purely for American's interests.
    The War on Terror is nothing but a joke. Making fun of people who died because they actually believed your leader is nothing short of stupid and disrespectful.
    Last edited by Meneldil; 03-27-2009 at 18:06.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Now, let's admit that MSNBC is as biased as FoxNews is (which is quite possible I guess), it doesn't make it nearly as stupid.
    See last point.

- Firstly, accusation of liberal bias in the US are pretty stupid. What the conservative members would call a pinko-communist-hippie-terrorists channel in the US would probably appear as slightly leftist everywhere else in the western world.
    Everything is relative. Liberalism doesn't even mean the same thing in Germany as it does in the United States.

- Secondly, the right is historically well-known for being much more offensive and outrageous with its propaganda. I'm not even talking about far-right, mind you. Since the 19th century, it has assimilated the idea that the left is actually trying to destroy civilization and is thus much more agressive than traditional leftist propaganda (I'm not talking about Marxists, Trostkysts or Left-Anarchists). Leftist propaganda is at least a bit more subtle.
    Alright, I have to say I beg to differ here. We say the left is trying to destroy civilization (not true, we usually say it is trying to change civilization, but for the sake of argument), and the left says that the right is a fundamentalist horde of ninnies who can't think for themselves.

I never received a link to a completely outrageous and stupid MSNBC show (though I just found out it was considered the most biased channel according to a poll conducted in 2004).
    Keith Olberman. I have no further comments.

One thing you NEVER do is make fun of the Canadian military.
    Yes, Pearson, Diefenbaker, Trudeau, Chretien, and to a lesser extent Mulroney already did a good enough job of it as it is.

Insane Imperialist. Member Feanaro's Avatar
    The Greatest Country I've Ever Visited, the USA. The only country I've ever visited but still.

Default Re: Re : FoxNews makes fun of Canadian Troops

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil View Post
    Once again, if a Canadian show on one of the main canadian channel started to call US soldiers 'cowards' or 'mass murderers'
    Except no one on Red Eye said anything of the sort. Don't compare apples to igloos. At least two people expressed respect for the Canadian military during the show, then proceeded to make fun of them. As well as Sarah Palin, a person Fox News is supposed to love, and Norwegians. The show airs at 3am. When your choices are MASH reruns, infomercials that promise to make your willy bigger and your butt smaller, and RedEye. Anyone who takes such a show seriously has a problem.

No military is above jokes. Thing is, in that case, the guy - working for a TV channel that thouroughly(sp?) supported Bush's brillantly executed War on Terror - is making fun of the military of a country that had actually no interests in joining this stupid war, and whose soldiers are losing their life purely for American's interests.
    The War on Terror is nothing but a joke. Making fun of people who died because they actually believed your leader is nothing short of stupid and disrespectful.
    Ah, now I see the issue. The problem isn't that someone made fun of Canada's military. It's just that the news group with the wrong bias made fun of Canada's military. If Fox News hadn't supported Bush, they could giggle all the way to the bank but comedy isn't allowed if you have the wrong opinions. Hopefully MSNBC or CNN will take advantage of their monopoly on Canadian military jokes soon. Or possibly they are too closely tied to the US. Maybe some Norwegians will be qualified to make jokes about the Canadian military.
    Due to the ailing economy, this space has been foreclosed.

No one is allowed ever. The only time your even allowed to approach ctirtism of the military is when they majorly screw-up. Like in '93 when a few para-troopers tourtured a Somali to death. Or the time the CFCWO got a case of "the bad touch" with a female corporal.

As for why, I don't really know. EMFM explaination is a good as any. We've just progressed to the point that we can critisize the RCMP.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

No one is allowed ever. The only time your even allowed to approach ctirtism of the military is when they majorly screw-up. Like in '93 when a few para-troopers tourtured a Somali to death. Or the time the CFCWO got a case of "the bad touch" with a female corporal.

As for why, I don't really know. EMFM explaination is a good as any. We've just progressed to the point that we can critisize the RCMP.
    And what if it's a minor screw-up? If they just slap around Somali a bit?

No institution is above criticism or jokes. You may disagree with me but free speech is on my side

The rug, it goes under it. Mostly, the indie press would make some noise about it. Besides it's not me who has the problem.
    Last edited by lars573; 03-28-2009 at 23:49.

Partisan politics is like laser tag. When someone on the other side sticks their head out everyone on your side tries to shoot 'em down, and vice versa. Whichever side scores the most points "wins".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12