Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FoxNews makes fun of Canadian Troops

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default FoxNews makes fun of Canadian Troops

FoxNews, once again trying to be as outrageous as possible, recently mocked the Canadian army.

Mind you, I'm not really a fan of any kind of army. I think the military shouldn't be protected from critics.
    Things is, what we have here is a bunch of morons, making fun of the military of their closest ally and almost only remaining friend, perfectly knowing that they would cause outrage in Canada, where the army is highly respected, even by liberal/leftist people.

The fact that they do so while almost 120 canadians gave their life during the US war on terror only make them look even more foolish and stupid than they are.

Not only that, but GregGutfeld, the author of many of the stupidest comments, apparently* went as far as updating his Twitter account with a new status:
    "My apologies to the Canadian military, they probably could at least beat the Belgians"

Now, I don't really care about the source of the outrage itself. What really boggles my mind here, is "Wth is FoxNews trying to do?".

Are there really people watching that kind of crap? I understand that Americans are historically attached to the idea of free speech, but I mean, can't anything be done?

Not that I care too much about it, but FoxNews is not only making you guys look like fools to the rest of the world, it's also alienating the last few countries and states that still had some respect for you.
    And it makes Nazi or soviet best propagandists look like 15 years old amateurs. A TV channel that bases all of its shows upon lies/misinformation/outrageous claim/completely biaised crap** should be dealt with in some way.

*I am not sure this is his real Twitter account, and since I couldn't find anything source confirming or denying it, I'll take it with a pince of salt.
    **Now, I know, I know, other channels are also biased. There's probably not any unbiaised channel, and will never be. Thing is, there's a difference between being slightly biaised (I think most american conservatives will describe CNN as liberal-bias, while I think it's conservative) and being FoxNews-like biaised.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: FoxNews makes fun of Canadian Troops

I hope that the Fox "air-brushed plastoid" crew was simply joking regarding the SIZE of the Canadian military. Neither historical nor current evidence could say much against their QUALITY.

We tried to take Canada three times -- got beat every try.

Canadian troops did as well or better than any other Empire troops in both World Wars and contributed their share or more of heros.

They fought in Korea and the WoT alongside us.

I DEARLY hope the reference was only to the comparative scarcity OF their numbers and not a slur on the men and women of Canada's armed forces.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

I think the guys are disrespectfull ******* who should show a little more respect for the people risking and giving their lives to save their fat lazy behinds, but I do think they made several good points (albeit in a rude, disrespectful and offensive manner). First of all, a war with Russia is not some far out thing. If you have ever been there you will find one thing out: most everyone is anticipating a war with the US...not just anticipating it, praying for the day it comes. Not wanting to delve too much into that, but esp with the problems going on in Korea (do not forget that we are still in the Korean War), and the Obama administrations disaterous handling of foriegn policy, such a war (WWIII) may not be too far away. Canada, like the rest of Europe relies on the States for complete security (yet ridicules us when we provide it). It is their duty to themselves, and to their allies to carry their own weight. Canada is in a position where it may end up on the frontlines of battle IF there ever is a war with Russia. If Canada is taken, then the invaders will have a foothold to strike the States from. One country cannot keep hundreds of others safe. Canada needs to get its butt into shape and accept some darned responsibility. The US is providing it with security, so they do not need to worry about attacks from our end, the least they could do is return the favor and provide us with security from their end.
    About the news people making our allies hate us, I do not think it is possible to make them hate us more. I do not think they or the Europeans appriciate the security and prosperity the US gives them. (I do not think it is right for them to talk about the Canadians like that, simply do not think the Canadians could hate us more no matter what they said)
    Last edited by Vuk; 03-25-2009 at 20:47.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    I hope that the Fox "air-brushed plastoid" crew was simply joking regarding the SIZE of the Canadian military. Neither historical nor current evidence could say much against their QUALITY.

We tried to take Canada three times -- got beat every try.

Canadian troops did as well or better than any other Empire troops in both World Wars and contributed their share or more of heros.

They fought in Korea and the WoT alongside us.

I DEARLY hope the reference was only to the comparative scarcity OF their numbers and not a slur on the men and women of Canada's armed forces.
    On that note, some of the best airmen in WWII were Canadian. Also, don't forget the enormous debt we owe them for their contributions to the arts.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    I think the guys are disrespectfull ******* who should show a little more respect for the people risking and giving their lives to save their fat lazy behinds, but I do think they made several good points (albeit in a rude, disrespectful and offensive manner). First of all, a war with Russia is not some far out thing. If you have ever been there you will find one thing out: most everyone is anticipating a war with the US...not just anticipating it, praying for the day it comes. Not wanting to delve too much into that, but esp with the problems going on in Korea (do not forget that we are still in the Korean War), and the Obama administrations disaterous handling of foriegn policy, such a war (WWIII) may not be too far away. Canada, like the rest of Europe relies on the States for complete security (yet ridicules us when we provide it). It is their duty to themselves, and to their allies to carry their own weight. Canada is in a position where it may end up on the frontlines of battle IF there ever is a war with Russia. If Canada is taken, then the invaders will have a foothold to strike the States from. One country cannot keep hundreds of others safe. Canada needs to get its butt into shape and accept some darned responsibility. The US is providing it with security, so they do not need to worry about attacks from our end, the least they could do is return the favor and provide us with security from their end.
    About the news people making our allies hate us, I do not think it is possible to make them hate us more. I do not think they or the Europeans appriciate the security and prosperity the US gives them. (I do not think it is right for them to talk about the Canadians like that, simply do not think the Canadians could hate us more no matter what they said)
    Oh come on, Russia's not going to invade soon and even if they do they don't have the navy to keep there supply lines open.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Winter View Post
    Oh come on, Russia's not going to invade soon and even if they do they don't have the navy to keep there supply lines open.
    Putin is cementing his power now. He is an ex-KGB radical, a former spy. Go to Russia Lord Winter, meet Russians. They think the US is evil, and they really do want a war with us. Don't forget that many members of the Russian government are former soviet officials, and some former KGB. I am not saying Russia would go and attack us outright, but they do not have to. It only takes one event to start a chain reaction like what happened in the two WWs. That event is gonna be in Korea I fear. Don't be naive, as much as we would like to change it, we live in a bi-polar world. Wanting it to not be that way does not make it that way.

Meneldil, Watching Fox News is like watching "South Park". Don't take it too seriosly, you know.

Vuk,
    First of all, a war with Russia is not some far out thing. If you have ever been there you will find one thing out: most everyone is anticipating a war with the US...not just anticipating it, praying for the day it comes.
    I have been there, have seen no trace what so ever of what you are talking about though. What part of Russia were you at? That comment seemed more taken from some 60's cartoon than real life.

Not wanting to delve too much into that, but esp with the problems going on in Korea (do not forget that we are still in the Korean War)
    So now you are at war with Korea too, huh?

the Obama administrations disaterous handling of foriegn policy, such a war (WWIII) may not be too far away.
    If you were a Medieval Total War priest you would probably have the subtitle "Warmonger".

Canada, like the rest of Europe relies on the States for complete security
    We have had many more terrorist attacks post Afghan/Iraq war, thankyouverymuch... Explain again how you keep us "safe".

(yet ridicules us when we provide it).
    That is not the reason why we ridicule you... Try again :)

One country cannot keep hundreds of others safe.
    So why don't you stop trying? No one asked you, we can handle our own load thankyouverymuch (again).

The US is providing it with security, so they do not need to worry about attacks from our end, the least they could do is return the favor and provide us with security from their end.
    A) If there would be an attack on Canada, the US would probably be the one who caust it (I dont eman the US would do the attack, I mean the US would be the reason Canada was attacked).

B) If someone would attack Canada I am sure they would do their outmost to defend themselves, contrary to what Fox news wants to believe. Ask a canadian.

About the news people making our allies hate us, I do not think it is possible to make them hate us more.
    Hate is a way to strong word... We are ashamed of you, we pity you, we wonder what you are doing and why. But very few of your allies hate you.

I do not think they or the Europeans appriciate the security and prosperity the US gives them.
    WOW, I can agree with this! Ask London and Madrid why they don't appreciate the security given by the US.

Maybe you should consider getting sources from something more neutral than Fox news?

Default Re : Re: FoxNews makes fun of Canadian Troops

Canada needs to get its butt into shape and accept some darned responsibility. The US is providing it with security, so they do not need to worry about attacks from our end, the least they could do is return the favor and provide us with security from their end.
    lolwut?

Canada is the country with the longest coastline in the world, and one of the lowest population density. And while it's a fairly rich state, it doesn't have the resources and manpower to provide security to itself, nor to anyone else. If the US think a war with the USSR/China/Russia/NKorea/whoever the hell they can pull off their hat is inevitable, that's all fine and dandy. But they shouldn't expect other countries to build hundreds of nukes because some psycho in Washington decided that war is coming.

As for the WWIII war stuff, it's so far-off, I won't even comment. Calling Obama's foreign policy disastrous after Bush is fun though. I'm puzzled by the Obamania going on around the world and especially in Europe, but it seriously gave a huge boost to the US prestige, and country really needed one. Even if he screws up as badly as Bush did (which would be quite an achievement, given that Bush basically said 'screw you' to all of his former allies, before saying 'screw you' to his former enemies), he will at least have shown the world that the US ain't that bad as they've elected a metis as head of state.

Now, the topic isn't the Canadian army or the incoming war with russia ( ), but the effect of channels such as FoxNews. I think they're severely damaging democracy, and make the US look just as bad as the people they're trying to fight.

In contrast to that "piece" on FoxNews, I give you this: Canada's Highway of Heroes. I hadn't heard of this until yesterday when my dad sent me a very moving slideshow of images from all along this route. One day later, I'm confronted by this obnoxious segment from FoxNews. I'm rather ticked off at the moment.
    This space intentionally left blank

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil View Post
    a bunch of morons
    I think that sums it up.

And Vuk, you can't really believe russia is going to invade the US.
    I might even sign up to fall into their backs and secure all that oil, man that would be fun.*

*Not really, but they could never win this without destroying the whole planet.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Bah just watched the vid and their style remind me a certain Don Cherry, who is a national "celebrity" here in Canada. You really can't take those peoples seriously.

Canadians need no glory in war, all we need is to get the job done.
    We defeated some of the toughest German division in Normandy ( 1st SS Division, the 12th SS Division and the Panzer Lehr Division) . When Ike realized that the makeshift ports of Normandy would not last who did he call to secure the Scheldt and Antwerp? The Canadian. (ok the Polish helped and the Brits held the flank).

In WW1 we were a decisive factor in the victory of The Battle of the Somme were we acquired the reputation of elite shock troop. "Whenever the Germans found the Canadian Corps coming into the line they prepared for the worst." ---David Lloyd George, British Prime Minister

Burn the White-House in August 1814 (ok, the Brits helped out)

And i think that taking a break from wars to straiten up our economy would be a good idea. To stay at war for too long is never a good thing for the economy. Afghanistan is no threat to NATO in their current shape and since no one want to cross the border into Pakistan to pursue the "bad guys" it is kind of a pointless war if you don't seek and destroy said enemies. We have to keep strong else we might fall prey to a nation who is not war exhausted.

In the end concerning the video i would like to site a well known Frenchmen, Voltaire: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

So if i acknowledge them the right to say what they said it mean i have to right to qualify them as retarded peoples who have a moronic and dubious sense of humor.
    Last edited by Melvish; 03-25-2009 at 23:07.
    I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends. ---Abraham Lincoln

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

We have had many more terrorist attacks post Afghan/Iraq war, thankyouverymuch... Explain again how you keep us "safe".
    lol, so there hadn't been a rise in militant islamic ideology directed against the west since the late eighties after all, and tens of thousands of otherwise normal islamists didn't decide to go for terrorist training in the decade preceding 911...........
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

Canada needs to get its butt into shape and accept some darned responsibility. The US is providing it with security, so they do not need to worry about attacks from our end, the least they could do is return the favor and provide us with security from their end.
    What are you talking about? Any Russian army trying to pass through Canada to the US has to cross over 1000 miles of mostly undeveloped and frozen land. You couldn't ask for better security from that end.

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    lol, so there hadn't been a rise in militant islamic ideology directed against the US and countries foolish enough to support cause of claims of weapons of mass destruction since the late eighties after all, and tens of thousands of otherwise normal islamists didn't decide to go for terrorist training in the decade preceding 911...........
    Corrected it for you.

Yeah, Europe is so much more safe now we have soldiers who dies in Afghanistan and Iraq wondering what [insert] we are doing there.

Back on topic, when the news channel claiming to be no. 1 in the states starts bashing the very same troops who dies cause of your [ill planned war(s)]...

Go figure.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Corrected it for you.

I've been reading Mark Steyn's book lately, and it truly is wonderful - browsing the Backroom just shows how right he often is.
    Last edited by Evil_Maniac From Mars; 03-25-2009 at 23:30.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

This is the second thread about an obscure late night filler show that runs on FNC at 2am and I'm still having a hard time getting outraged over it. Of course, he's stupid and wrong- his show exists, afaik, to say stupid things why get worked up over it? Red Eye, last time I bothered to check, isn't a serious news show.

In the US, we have to put up with our own members of congress ripping on our military. I think Canadians can have a thick enough skin as not to be upset over what some late-night nobody has to say.

Edit: Allow me to borrow the comments of an anonymous blogger:
    Several people, including a number of BloggingTories, are up in arms because a comedy show made some jokes about the Canadian Forces. Seriously how oversensitive can people get? You can say that it isn't funny and I'll agree with you. The only amusing part of this clip is when they started talking about fundamentalist Norwegians invading the United States, yet being unamused is not the same as being outraged. There is no reason, as some people are doing, to be blaming the United States in general for the antics of some comedian.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 03-25-2009 at 23:41.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Yes, Xiahou.

What shoecked me wasn't so much that they made jokes about Canadians, but the guys in the show in general and the fact that people can be like that.

Well, not really shocked either, it was really funny, especially when they called the US the strongest superpower in the universe or something like that...
    Last edited by Husar; 03-26-2009 at 00:24.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

It's Fox news..

What do you expect?

Edit:

Also what are those people talking about? They are aware the Canadian military is probably better trained than the US due to their close cooperation and joint training exercises with the British army? AFAIK at least.

I don't normally care about this sort of thing enough to comment but seriously if they're getting their lesson on warfare from us then their armies going to be pretty awesome. We may not have the money the US has but it's pretty much a known fact the British army is the best disciplined and best trained in the world. Although if were going on Fox news' idea of what constitutes the best army maybe the US does as I'm sure fox news will agree that they have God on their side or some other right wing mumbo jumbo like that..
    Last edited by tibilicus; 03-26-2009 at 00:53.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's a very-little watched show that airs at 3 am in the morning. This isn't Fox News doing anything; it's some guy trying to be funny on a very late night show.

This all begs the question - So What? Who cares? Why bother caring?

Here in the US we have members of congress calling specific soldiers murderers - and not apologizing after said soldiers were acquitted of murder charges.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

lol, so there hadn't been a rise in militant islamic ideology directed against the west since the late eighties after all, and tens of thousands of otherwise normal islamists didn't decide to go for terrorist training in the decade preceding 911...........

Struggling to remember the terrorist attacks we suffered by Islamic fundamentalists before iraq war...

Can't remember any in madrid either...

and I'm still having a hard time getting outraged over it.

Im not paticularly outraged.. not really one for outrage... but considering this is the US and some people can be a tad sensitive about thier army too its not really surprising some other countrys get worked up to...

Edit im not really seeing the whole russian war thing either... seems a bit out there...
    Last edited by LittleGrizzly; 03-26-2009 at 00:55.
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

It's because they are Canadian. There I said it. Daddy just made fun of them and now there whining.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

"My apologies to the Canadian military, they probably could at least beat the Belgians"

I can't be the only one who laughed, surely?
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

Struggling to remember the terrorist attacks we suffered by Islamic fundamentalists before iraq war...
    I'll just leave this here.

And this.
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Default Re : FoxNews makes fun of Canadian Troops

Come on, if any important media in western Europe attempted to make fun of the US military during WW2, tell me that you (the american patrons) wouldn't be outraged.

Now, as I said, I don't really give a damn about the outrage itself, its source, the show. I'm talking broadly about FoxNews. That channel is well known for producing huge pile of crap on a daily basis.

I'm not talking about MTV-like reality TV kind of crap (though that's another problem worth of a topic), but about so-called news, political shows and what not.

One of the pillar of democracy is Free Speech (with a big F and S). That's all fine and dandy. But another pillar, which is IMO just as important, if no more, is an enlightened and educated population. Allowing FoxNews to turn people into complete morons and to daily serve a plate of complete BS to the american citizens in the name of Free Speech is laughable.

Nobody listen to that show, making the outrage overblown? That's fine. Now I guess that leaves us with the hundreds (thousands?) other pieces of crap produced by FoxNews. Just youtube or google it.
    Mind you, I also think the outrage shown by canadian people is overblown. FoxNews repeatedly made fun of France, bashed my country and her citizens, made fun of the french who fought and gave their life during WW2 and what not. I couldn't care less.

So, back to my original question:

What is the purpose of that channel? Does it sometimes act like a normal news broadcasting company, or does it only work as a plateform for reactionary idiots and right wing nutjobs trying to be funny?

Default Re: Re : FoxNews makes fun of Canadian Troops

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil View Post
    What is the purpose of that channel? Does it sometimes act like a normal news broadcasting company, or does it only work as a plateform for reactionary idiots and right wing nutjobs trying to be funny?
    Fox News and MSNBC are the same thing. You can't hate on one without hating on the other. The actual news parts of Fox News aren't bad either.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Idiots, disrespectful and kinda out of touch with reality.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

I'll just leave this here.

And this.

Well that's helpful, as someone intrested in foriegn affairs what are the chances i know of these events... i wonder...

When i say we i was talking as a british poster to a british poster with a quote where he was responding to a comment about european terrorist attacks, which is why i mentioned the madrid attacks as well

I guess i could be more specific... swop we for britian...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

The host of an obscure show at 3 am says something stupid and disrespectful which creates a storm of controversy, generating awareness about his show. I didn't even know "redEye" existed before this thread.

I'm sure he's having himself a good laugh.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    Fox News and MSNBC are the same thing. You can't hate on one without hating on the other. The actual news parts of Fox News aren't bad either.
    What are the actual parts of Fox news? I mean, granted, Shepard Smith is alright, but he's just one guy...

oh, and my reaction to Red Eye:
    Last edited by seireikhaan; 03-26-2009 at 03:32.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Quote Originally Posted by seireikhaan View Post
    What are the actual parts of Fox news? I mean, granted, Shepard Smith is alright, but he's just one guy...

oh, and my reaction to Red Eye:
    Happening Now, Studio B, and Fox Report all seem OK as "actual news" parts of Fox News.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast