Thread: ETW newb question: Britain and the church in Oxford

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Default ETW newb question: Britain and the church in Oxford

Finally, got my new rig unpacked and set up. Played about 8 hrs yesterday: no CTD so far... I guess, I lucked out. Anyway, my question is different though. Britain starts with a college in Cambridge and a church school in Oxford. Do any of you dismantle the church in oxford and build a college instead ASAP? What would be the pros and cons of such action?

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: ETW newb question: Britain and the church in Oxford

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    Finally, got my new rig unpacked and set up. Played about 8 hrs yesterday: no CTD so far... I guess, I lucked out. Anyway, my question is different though. Britain starts with a college in Cambridge and a church school in Oxford. Do any of you dismantle the church in oxford and build a college instead ASAP? What would be the pros and cons of such action?
    I do.

Pro: Much faster research.
    Con: Uhhh...lower happiness? Though that hardly has any effect.

Just go with the college early on. Back to church later if you have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

[QUOTE=Slaists;2188001]Finally, got my new rig unpacked and set up. Played about 8 hrs yesterday: no CTD so far... I guess, I lucked out. Anyway, my question is different though. Britain starts with a college in Cambridge and a church school in Oxford. Do any of you dismantle the church in oxford and build a college instead ASAP? What would be the pros and cons of such action?[/QUOT

I always demolish the church school and build a normal school. this allows me to research more things also make sure you put your gentleman in there as this will speed up your research
    May the Foss be with you....

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

i turned oxford into a school on the first turn.

never had a real problem with happiness in england, so never regretted the change.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Churchs are a complete waste. My tactic for Britain is really simple, destroy all towns and turn them into schools in England, turn all the towns in other places into factories. You get super fast research, you get a powerhouse economy and no problems at all.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    Do any of you dismantle the church in oxford and build a college instead ASAP? What would be the pros and cons of such action?
    I've tried it both ways, and haven't noticed all that much difference. Converting it to a college does add a 2nd research lane early. Since the region starts at 100% state religion, you don't lose there (at least, not right away ...).

But, you can also add colleges via conquests, and have so many colleges that some of them sit idle even at the "fattest" part of the tech tree.

One thing that I've noticed is that after conquering the Catholic factions France and Spain, Protestant Britain's home region and colonies started showing a non-zero Catholic population. Not sure what the population mechanics are, but I had to (re-)build church schools in those regions to suppress the non-state religion (and associated unrest) buildup.
    Forums are good for sharing questions, wikis are good for sharing answers:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Check out the Online ETW Data in the Totalwar.org wiki.

There's no reason to have a church in your home province, if anyplace it's the one best able to handle the unrest of colleges. Churches are largely temporary structures in game as implemented: They are exceptionally good for the period you use them in, reducing permanent unrest and providing a (possibly buggy) bonus to both population segment's happiness. However once you convert the majority of a population they are not as good as entertainment buildings, notably because they simply can not offset as much generic unrest.

It'd be cute if churches could convert rakes to priests :>

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

It would be nice if they allowed you to research technology as well but slower. It would be more realistic than a depiction of education vs religion that they have now.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 03-27-2009 at 04:45.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Absolutely the first thing I do is sort out a University in Oxford. I must also admit a certain degree of unseemly glee when, later in the game, I demolish Cambridge and replace it with a brothel.

The King observing with judicious eyes,
    The state of both his Universities,
    To Oxford sent a troop of horse; and why?
    That learned body wanted loyalty:
    To Cambridge books he sent, as well discerning
    How much that loyal body wanted learning.

Anon, Oxford, 1715