Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Final TW Game?

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Default Possible Final TW Game?

I just posted in another thread about the latest patch and how it isn't exactly making the good folks who paid money for this game happy. I have not downloaded it and will just deal with my occasional crash.

But I have a certain fear that this may be the last breath of a dieing gaming genre. With the appearant frustration felt by many (I know, vocal minority, but this seems to be a tather LARGE minority), the almost impossibility to develope software compatable with so many variations of machines, and, most importantly, the current economic downturn, will this be the last of the Total War series? I mean, what time period would be the next title that could save CA existence? I have really enjoyed the games since Shogun, but it is going to be very difficult for me to be one of those "as soon as it hits the shelves" buyers that the gaming industry rely on....

What's your thoughts?
    RIP Tosa

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Possible Final TW Game?

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave View Post
    I just posted in another thread about the latest patch and how it isn't exactly making the good folks who paid money for this game happy. I have not downloaded it and will just deal with my occasional crash.
    I presume you had steam running as you posted this, in which case its likely you have no choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    I presume you had steam running as you posted this, in which case its likely you have no choice.
    Nope, I have a system dedicated to only my Total War habit (offline). I'm have seperate system to hang out with my Org homies and watching two chicks and a cup.
    Last edited by Devastatin Dave; 03-27-2009 at 03:23.
    RIP Tosa

Final TW Game? I highly doubt it. The game still works well enough for most people, and I have heard nothing that leads me to believe sales have taken a huge hit. People leveled many of the same criticisms at RTW and M2TW, and however justfied they may have been, the fact remains most people still had alot of fun with those two games. The negative (over)reactions or typical of any PC release, especially a well known one. People expect games to work out of box perfectly, and the fact of the matter is, with a few exceptions, no complex PC or even console game has ever been able to do that.

Most people, including myself, are still having alot of fun with E:TW, and I fully expect continued ETW support by CA, and future relases (personally hoping they stay away from Shogun, my least favorite of the series, and return to Ancient Rome and Greece for some Trireme battles).
    "I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein, and when the President made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." Senator John Kerry, May 4, 2003

"It's the wrong war, in the wrong place at the wrong time." Senator John Kerry, 7 September, 2004

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nope, I have a system dedicated to only my Total War habit (offline). I'm have seperate system to hang out with my Org homies and watching two chicks and a cup.
    Oooooooh.

You dirty dirty boy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

You could jsut disable steam autoupdate you know...
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

as the way it looks there will probably be a dozen more total war games at least. Unless things change.

Member Member Mumu Champion Prodigal's Avatar

I mean, what time period would be the next title that could save CA existence?
    That's the big question. I would hazard a guess at 1800-1900 opium wars in china etc. I just cannot see the game working in later periods though, WW1 TW for example . Also I don't see how they could apply many of the features they've added into earlier periods, (MTW has been done to death); revisiting STW would be fun but the theater is to limited. Personally I'd like an RTW2, sea battles are viable, also the map scale wouldn't be restrictive, the romans started trading with china before they "fell".

Smile Re: Possible Final TW Game?

Empire is running great on my system and i'm enjoying it immensly. If CA wants to build more, I will buy. I think an expansion like Kingdoms would be great. Campaigns could include Napoleonic Wars, American Civil War, Crimean War, The Austo-Franco-Prussian Wars, Opium Wars or anything Victorian.

Since these type of games (strategy) do not lend themselves to playing well on consoles, I do not think that this will be the last game and that there will be even an add on for the series (at least one)..

The problem with these games isn't the failures, it is the successes. After an initial success with a game, some large software company swoops in and attempts to cash in on the type of game producted. Eventually, those companies strangle the innovation out of the game. You should not worry though as nature abhors a vaccuum.... other parts of the world will (and are) already writing new gaming software to take up the slack .

In 2-3 years we will all remember things differently, jaded.

MTW2 was also said to be the final nail in the coffin numerous times, as far as I remember!

I hope not. I've enjoyed almost all the total war games and there add-ons so far. I hope they add Napoleon to the Grand campaign in a expansion and extend it into the 1800s.

As for the next game I doubt I'd buy RTW2 as I didn't like RTW as much as the other games and right now I can sill play it I want to so wouldn't be interested in buying a remake. something set in china or the east would be fun I think as I know little about the history of that part of the world.

Desperately Seeking Tamworth Member Ethelred Unread's Avatar

Simply put, CA make enough money for SEGA.

That means that we'll see more TW games until SEGA don't see it as worthwhile in supporting them - e.g. poor sales.

I think TW games are most suited to the ancient period to about 1900, as the main arms for fighting are infantry, cavalry and (mostly) direct fire artillery of various forms, which are easier to model.

WW1 would be too complex to fit into the TW model, the battles would be fought on the strat map, because how can you model a battle like the Somme that started in June and ended in November? Small engagements wouldn't cut it for me because the bigger picture is much more important in this time period.

That still leaves us with a lot of time left to play with. I can see there being a lot of downloadable content for the current period, inc napoleonic, US civil war, opium wars etc.

TW hasn't looked at China & surrounds yet, and will probably revisit the Ancient World again next as this is probably the next popular period of history.

Got to say as well that I am one of the lucky ones and have only had 1 CTD when a savegame wouldn't work, and got round it by using the last autosave.
    "The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials"

I surely hope this is not the final Total War game. Total War is my favorite franchise game, and there is not one I have not bought. I think I would cry really hard if this were the last one.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

I Still Play Shogun Member ratbarf's Avatar

Twould totally suck if this was the last one, and I for one would think that a Mongolian Total War or Africa total war would be quite nice, as in both you have a rather large area that was conquered by a much smaller force than the armies that they faced. Thats what I realla want to see as a next game!
    "The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes" - Adolf Hitler

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
    Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe.

I wouldn't mind seeing Total War: Rise of the lower kingdoms.. :D or, "Ancient Empires".. still tons of time periods untouched. Imagine fighting around the great pyramids, or destroying the hanging gardens..

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Namarie22 View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing Total War: Rise of the lower kingdoms.. :D or, "Ancient Empires".. still tons of time periods untouched. Imagine fighting around the great pyramids, or destroying the hanging gardens..
    Also, the Eygptians traded with ancient South Americans.

So having a game set in such a time period, with the ability to fight anywhere in the World would be pretty amazing.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal View Post
    That's the big question. I would hazard a guess at 1800-1900 opium wars in china etc. I just cannot see the game working in later periods though, WW1 TW for example . Also I don't see how they could apply many of the features they've added into earlier periods, (MTW has been done to death); revisiting STW would be fun but the theater is to limited. Personally I'd like an RTW2, sea battles are viable, also the map scale wouldn't be restrictive, the romans started trading with china before they "fell".
    WW1 or even WW2 are highly doable. The basic concept would be pretty much the same, the real time battles would just play like Men of War or World in Conflict.
    Last edited by Graphic; 03-27-2009 at 12:54.

I would like to see E:TW recast as 20th Century: Total War. We've had the biggest, nastiest wars in history (so far) in the 20th century. The research & trade mechanics could be tweaked. The map would have to be bigger, i.e. with many more regions. The downside: unlike ancient history, there would be no end to the amount of people offended one way or another.

A 19th century version is also doable. There were plenty of wars in those times as well!
    Ancestry: Turkish & Irish. Guess my favorite factions!

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

The AI would have to be tweaked to make continuous fronts. We would REALLY have to be able to coordinate attack to IE. cut off a salient from 2 directions.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

ETW hit number 1 in the UK all format charts. That's a first for a TW game AFAIK, and rare for any PC game. Why would it be the last? Each game in the series sells more than the one before. That's what matters most; game development is a business.

There's still plenty of eras CA could use, and with M2TW they proved they do not mind revisiting a period.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

It can't be the last.

I haven't bought this one...we'll see how the patches go... The TW series cannot fold until after they have released (and patched to perfection-for once) a Napoleonic Total War.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

It's all my fault, I talked DevDave into buying ETW. And truthfully, I quite like the game, bugs and all. (I would be less sanguine if I didn't think that the Empire team was hard at work tweaking AI and killing bugs.)

Anyway, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa, dear Dave. In the long run you'll be glad you bought it, I promise. No, really.

If they revist Rome, I will buy it, period. I do not care if they turn it into a card came, if the next is Rome I am buying it.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    You could jsut disable steam autoupdate you know...
    Not totally effective as Steam has a habit of resetting to auto all on its own.

If you only play SP I suggest my method:
    - Set Steam to not start automatically on start-up in MSCONFIG - that way you actually have to start Steam yourself
    - When I play I disconnect the internet modem, hit End it All to shut down all uneeded programs and then hit the Empire icon
    - Steam will then start and give you the option to play in off-line mode.

This way YOU control when you do an update.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
    WW1 or even WW2 are highly doable. The basic concept would be pretty much the same, the real time battles would just play like Men of War or World in Conflict.
    I don't think you can have a total war game just set in just World War One or Two. One set between 1900 and 1950 would be I think enough time to do it. But I think it would need a lot of work as they would have to add air power to land and sea battles and not have it too over powered. Might need a new engine to do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    ETW hit number 1 in the UK all format charts. That's a first for a TW game AFAIK, and rare for any PC game. Why would it be the last? Each game in the series sells more than the one before. That's what matters most; game development is a business.

There's still plenty of eras CA could use, and with M2TW they proved they do not mind revisiting a period.
    It also topped the NPD North American charts. For PC at least. Also pretty impressive

Desperately Seeking Tamworth Member Ethelred Unread's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
    I really don't think that the TW model is set up at all for these wars. If you want the grand strat map then you can't have the real time battles because each section of the front is huge, (=lots o' regions) and the battles take months, whereas prior to 1900 (most) battles could be fought decisivelyin a day, or a couple of days.

If you have smaller battles for specific objectives then where is the strategic importance after each battle? You would be fighting constantly and each turn on the strat map would be one day - which isn't practical for a game purporting to be ww1 TW or ww2 TW. For both of these how do you represent naval or aerial supremacy?

For ww1 or ww2 you either need to concentrate tactically, or strategically, I don't think that the TW model is ready to do both.

Aren't there enough WW2 games already?
    "The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials"

Heir to the Scottish Throne Member Relic's Avatar

I certainly hope not.
    Darn your pessimistic outlook!

We can always go into modern war... or back to Rome and Shogun.
    Last edited by Relic; 03-27-2009 at 18:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethelred Unread View Post
    Aren't there enough WW2 games already?
    Are there a lot of WW2 games? Most definitely. Are there enough good ones? Not nearly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast