Thread: ships of other nations: flashing pirate colors?

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Default ships of other nations: flashing pirate colors?

Anyone knows why flags of ships of other nations 'flash' pirate colors on the strategy map? I mean, for a few seconds they display the national flag; then for a few seconds: the pirate one... Then, the cycle repeats.

Default Re: ships of other nations: flashing pirate colors?

It means they are blockading a trade route. What i don't know, however, is if the flashing pirate flag means they are blockading a trade route of yours or one of their enemies.

In my game as Maratha right now i see British fleets with flashing pirate flags blockading trade routes all over the place, problem is, they aren't at war with anybody... does this mean they're blockading mine?

AFAIK, the raid only affects trade routes of their enemies. Lets say you have a trade agreement with the French as Marathas. The trade route will give two numbers, the income you get and the income the French get. Then when a British fleet raids the trade route, it will decrease the French income (being raided) but not yours.

As for the GB pirates in Dayve's game - they have obviously changed from privateering to pirating! :) I guess it is just a bug. They were raiding the trade route of an enemy, but the war ended? Another explanation is that it is a pirate or Barbary state trade route?
    Last edited by anweRU; 03-27-2009 at 17:50.
    Ancestry: Turkish & Irish. Guess my favorite factions!

Heir to the Scottish Throne Member Relic's Avatar

You can do the exact same thing with your navy and make them into Privateers by attacking trade routes used by any faction you are at war with. They are only blocking those they are at war with, as these routes are shared. By clicking on the Goverment tab and going to trade you can check if any of your trade routes are being raided/blocked. You should also recieve a notice at the start of the turn it occurs if it does.

I do think there are some naval bugs to do with war and the occupation of ports and trade routes.
    Last edited by Relic; 03-27-2009 at 18:03.

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Relic View Post
    You can do the exact same thing with your navy and make them into Privateers by attacking trade routes used by any faction you are at war with. They are only blocking those they are at war with, as these routes are shared. By clicking on the Goverment tab and going to trade you can check if any of your trade routes are being raided/blocked. You should also recieve a notice at the start of the turn it occurs if it does.

I do think there are some naval bugs to do with war and the occupation of ports and trade routes.
    Blockading someone else's trade will give you their income if done with enough ships. The mechanics are yet not very clear to me, but when I put a strong fleet on the trade line I gained a lot of income. My other income went up from the basic 3000 to 22000. In the end I was blockading every trade line of my two enemies. Economic warfare aka piracy not only stops their trade but also give you some nice extra income
    Tosa Inu

Heir to the Scottish Throne Member Relic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Alphonse View Post
    Blockading someone else's trade will give you their income if done with enough ships. The mechanics are yet not very clear to me, but when I put a strong fleet on the trade line I gained a lot of income. My other income went up from the basic 3000 to 22000. In the end I was blockading every trade line of my two enemies. Economic warfare aka piracy not only stops their trade but also give you some nice extra income
    Oh yes. In my current campaign, GB's route going down towards portugal is worth 14,000. Wouldn't mind getting my fleets from the strait of madagascar up there!

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Alphonse View Post
    I'd given up on privateering because I'd not seen much benefit from it! Makes sense I guess, the shipping lanes were vast open stretches, no wonder my poor admirals were barely earning a crust, with only a single brig to patrol all that water!
    Thanks for the tip.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

Anyone test the effects of distributed privateering?

Assume you have four ships and one enemy route to pirate. Is it better to have one fleet of four pirate in one spot or four fleets of one pirate in four spots?

Quote Originally Posted by katank View Post
    Anyone test the effects of distributed privateering?

Assume you have four ships and one enemy route to pirate. Is it better to have one fleet of four pirate in one spot or four fleets of one pirate in four spots?
    When as Great Britain , I tasked a second fleet to pirate the Prussian and United Provinces {whom I was at war with} trade rout through the channel , I actually saw a reduction in overall income .
    Of course it could have merely been a bug , However I still stick to one interdiction fleet per trade rout just incase and it does provide greater survivability for that fleet if attacked .
    7 out of 10 people like me ,
    I'm not going to change for the other three .