Thread: Once again, perfect game is ruined for my by a patch

Rip, Slip, Brush, Ahh Member crazyviking03's Avatar

Default Once again, perfect game is ruined for my by a patch

This is the same thing that happend to me with Red Orchestra. I used to play that game more than I breathed air, then they released a series of patches around a year ago that made it virtually unplayable with ATI cards, and I have yet to reinstall it with my new rig (just that put off i guess). Now its the same with Empire. The game ran nearly flawlessly, maybe 1 ctd a week, and now after this patch I am getting them after every naval engagement and am starting to get more and more random ones on the campaign map that I cant find a root cause for yet.

Anyone else had a game of any genre killed by a patch? If CA keeps up the support they say they are planning on, I know it will be fixed, but it helps to bitch lol.
    What if it is actualy you who are crazy, and I am realy not crazy?... No, you're right... I am crazy.

lol

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default Re: Once again, perfect game is ruined for my by a patch

Only the ones I downloaded back in the day.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

check Zatoichi last post in that thread --->click me<---

The temporary solution is there.
    I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends. ---Abraham Lincoln

Funny that you should say that, because my game used to crash after EVERY naval battle, no exceptions. I have only had one crash since the patch came out...
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

I downloaded the patch... and couldn't get past the first loading screen!

I just replaced the patch.pak file with my orginal vanilla version, leaving the other updated files as they were post-patch, and haven't had any problems so far (early days...); but it has completely fixed the stuttering sound issues in intro/duelling movies.

Might be worth a try for anyone having major problems, but I suppose you will lose any other changes they've made to patch.pak in the various patches/fixes.

just play on the original patch then, or is your brain too mall to think of just not patching?

Quote Originally Posted by predaturd View Post
    just play on the original patch then, or is your brain too mall to think of just not patching?
    please, no trolling in my thread.
    What if it is actualy you who are crazy, and I am realy not crazy?... No, you're right... I am crazy.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by predaturd View Post
    You can't, Steam forces you to download and play with whatever patch they host, and we are forced to use Steam to play.

I wish i could help but i only ever had 2 CTD's before the patch came out, and only 1 since it did so i just don't know what people are doing wrong...
    Last edited by Dayve; 03-28-2009 at 16:23.

The Lord of Chaos Member ChaosLord's Avatar

There is one method you might be able to play without any updates, but it is a bit lengthy. Uninstall the game, then reinstall, but why its installing click on the game, go to properties, Update tab, and set it to not automatically update. The only question is if this only applies to released updates after install, or if it'll stop any already released updates with install too.
    "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Ive found a work around for the naval crash. I read elsewhere on the forums to let the exit battle screen sit for a few seconds before exiting, works like a charm now, no CTDs.

lol