Thread: Un-removable forts?

Question Un-removable forts?

We seem to have gone from one extreme to the other: from forts that disappeared when you left them unoccupied, to an option you could set in the .ini file, to forts that can't be deleted at all (?)

Unless someone can share the secret with us?
    Forums are good for sharing questions, wikis are good for sharing answers:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Check out the Online ETW Data in the Totalwar.org wiki.

Rip, Slip, Brush, Ahh Member crazyviking03's Avatar

Default Re: Un-removable forts?

I for one had never understood why the forts disappeared in Rome, (and I cant remember for the life of me if they did in M2, too much beer and its 2:30 am lol). A fortified camp is one thing, but Roman forts and 18th century forts (even wooden ones on the American frontier) were no shabby thing. They would be permanent fixtures once built.

I am sorely bummed out that we can't name our forts though, instead of the randomly generated names.
    What if it is actualy you who are crazy, and I am realy not crazy?... No, you're right... I am crazy.

lol

Heir to the Scottish Throne Member Relic's Avatar

Wink Re: Un-removable forts?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyviking03 View Post
    I for one had never understood why the forts disappeared in Rome, (and I cant remember for the life of me if they did in M2, too much beer and its 2:30 am lol). A fortified camp is one thing, but Roman forts and 18th century forts (even wooden ones on the American frontier) were no shabby thing. They would be permanent fixtures once built.

I am sorely bummed out that we can't name our forts though, instead of the randomly generated names.
    Ah well. Just another thing for modders to discover eh? :D

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Well, the AI builds in stupid locations and I want to burn some down.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

Personally, I would rather have been able to build fortifications at towns and ports rather than building regular forts. Especially considering that those fortifications express as fort battles (as opposed to the "walled city") and you can only build forts in friendly territory.

FYI, M2TW has regular woodens forts like RTW that disappeared after being unoccupied for a year. Kingdoms introduced permanent forts (as small castles). Modders added these to the grand campaign with Kingdoms based mods. It took a lot of tuning to make sure the AI didn't spam them everywhere apparantly...

you can only build forts in friendly territory.
    This isn't exactly true, if your army is "dug in" in enemy territory you can build the lowest wooden fort structure outside of your territory.
    Last edited by Ardri; 03-28-2009 at 16:19.

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ardri View Post
    This isn't exactly true, if your army is "dug in" in enemy territory you can build the lowest wooden fort structure outside of your territory.
    Thanks for the correction...

Roman camps were usually dismantled when the army moves on, though the forts in RTW probably should have represented more permanent structures.

I haven't tried this myself, but my intuition would be that you might need a unit in the fort to dismantle it.

Quote Originally Posted by quadalpha View Post
    I haven't tried this myself, but my intuition would be that you might need a unit in the fort to dismantle it.
    Unfortunatly no. Even with a unit inside, the "destroy building" button remains grey. Stationing a genereal doesn't help either.

Unless there is some super-special-trick that I haven't found yet it does indeed look like forts are permanent

Susanna/Calapine
    Last edited by Susanna; 03-28-2009 at 20:41.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Perhaps you have to develop a technology that would let you take down that fort?!
    Or call "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" team to destroy it.. they can do it within hours!

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

CA don't like deleting or removing. Hence why the forts always being there and unable to remove saved games (from within the application).
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Exclamation Re: Un-removable forts?

Yeah, I never understood the save game thing either. What about all those poor kids who don't know how to delete these save games in the hidden folder? They'll have GB's of their hard drive being eaten up.

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Insane View Post
    ... Especially considering that those fortifications express as fort battles (as opposed to the "walled city") and you can only build forts in friendly territory.
    Not true, I definitely was able to build a fort in unoccupied Huron territory while I was at war with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    Not true, I definitely was able to build a fort in unoccupied Huron territory while I was at war with them.
    Yep, that's true. The ingame tooltip is incorrect about that.
    First-level forts can built within enemy territory, although upgrades can't.

Susanna/Calapine

Quote Originally Posted by Susanna View Post
    Unfortunatly no. Even with a unit inside, the "destroy building" button remains grey. Stationing a genereal doesn't help either.
    OK, then it's yet another not yet implemented feature.
    Forums are good for sharing questions, wikis are good for sharing answers:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Check out the Online ETW Data in the Totalwar.org wiki.

OK, then it's yet another not yet implemented feature.
    These seem to be piling up into quite the list. Hopefully they will all be addressed and preferably sooner as opposed to later.