Thread: Warning - Don't merge units after battle before saving.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Warning - Don't merge units after battle before saving.

I just fought 3 huge battles with the Mughal empire as Marathas after i surrounded their capital city which had 3 full stack armies stood around it, and when it came back around to my turn, before saving i tried to merge the units in the only army of mine that got beat up considerably and the game crashed to desktop. I tried to load the auto-save but it had only saved before i fought the 3 huge battles, so that was 2 and a half hours wasted.

I auto-calced them, but the outcome was that i won all 3 battles still but took way more casualties than before and didn't capture the region.

Heir to the Scottish Throne Member Relic's Avatar

Default Re: Warning - Don't merge units after battle before saving.

I've merged units hundreds of times after battles. Never has it CTD as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    i tried to merge the units in the only army of mine that got beat up considerably and the game crashed to desktop.
    i have had it happen to

It wasn't just a one-off, i re-loaded the game and tried to merge the same unit, it crashed a further 2 times. In the end i just disbanded the unit since it had only 14 men left in it.

I've made a habit of saving the game before and after i do anything. i have a series of 4 saves for each campaign that i alternate between every time i save it. it usually soles most of these problems

Yep, I had it happen after a critical, hard won battle as the Prussians vs. Austria. But so far, it has been my one and only crash. Save, save, save.

Dam that sucks man, so i guess we take form this always quick save after each battle.

I have seen an individual unit, stack of units, or combination of units and moves get"bugged" before. Usually, if you reload from save, do no repeat the "bugged" action with the "bugged" unit, and the move to next turn, it has been my experiance that the unit "unbugs" and you are free to use it normally.
    "I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein, and when the President made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." Senator John Kerry, May 4, 2003

"It's the wrong war, in the wrong place at the wrong time." Senator John Kerry, 7 September, 2004

I'm finding saving before and after doing things a very necessary procedure with this game. I've always been the type to save a lot in games but I cant remember having to do it this much with past TW games.

I've had this happen to me before. As others said, leave the unit alone and try it the next turn, as it should work then.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rly? View Post
    I've made a habit of saving the game before and after I do anything. I have a series of 4 saves for each campaign that I alternate between every time I save it. It usually solves most of these problems.
    I do the same thing. Three saves in a campaign, and each turn I use a different save. So if anything goes wrong, I can revert back 1-2 turns. Plus, I save before and after doing anything. Just in case.
    Last edited by Poncho400; 03-28-2009 at 20:59.

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

I just fought 3 huge battles with the Mughal empire as Marathas after i surrounded their capital city which had 3 full stack armies stood around it, and when it came back around to my turn, before saving i tried to merge the units in the only army of mine that got beat up considerably and the game crashed to desktop. I tried to load the auto-save but it had only saved before i fought the 3 huge battles, so that was 2 and a half hours wasted.

I auto-calced them, but the outcome was that i won all 3 battles still but took way more casualties than before and didn't capture the region.

This (and other ETW CTD crashes) are system specific. I've done pretty much the same as you and no crashes... Actually, I have had not a single ETW CTD since I started playing. Sea battles, land battles: all stable.
    Last edited by Slaists; 03-28-2009 at 22:07.

This is only 1 of 2 CTD's i've ever had though, the other being a naval battle, and i recreated it several times in the exact same spot, so i don't see how it could be my system, more likely the coding.

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

This is only 1 of 2 CTD's i've ever had though, the other being a naval battle, and i recreated it several times in the exact same spot, so i don't see how it could be my system, more likely the coding.
    System specific coding... I mean, they designed the game to work with a certain set of hardware neglecting the great variety of hardware combinations people's PC's might have... They confessed themselves (in an interview that was posted here a short while ago).

Never had this happen. Only one CTD to date in 40 hours of play.