Thread: The Daughters of the Dragon: A Valkyrja AAR (ATW)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Daughters of the Dragon: A Valkyrja AAR (ATW)

I decided to take a break from mod work, and once more actually play what I have been working on. Since the largest changes to Amazon:Total War have been to the Valkyrja (formerly New Amazonia), I decided to do an AAR with them. To find out more about ATW look here at the Guild, and here at Mod Realms.

I know most AARs around here are done as a melding of fiction around the framework of a campaign. Those of you who are familiar with my AARs from RTWH will know that is not my style however. I learned from people like Severous, so mine have the same blend of game information and personal observations that his did. Hopefully people will find it to be enjoyable. One thing that will be different from my past AARs is that I will be posting it on multiple forums. I never did that before. I hope it will work out.

So here we go. This will be a Valkyrja AAR, using Amazon: Total War version 2.4.

Difficulty: Very Hard/Very Hard
    Scale: Huge
    Battle Time Limit: On
    Morale: On
    Limited Ammo: On
    Player Manages All Settlements: On

Here are my starting territories. As you can see, I am deep in the forests of what will one day be known as Russia, with lots of dark areas surrounding my three settlements.

There is one Rebel settlement in view from the start of the campaign. Androphagia. I send my slovenly spy in to investigate, and find it has a small, but potentially dangerous garrison. Naked Fanatics (which in ATW are nothing to sneeze at) and Archers.

I raise taxes in all my settlements, recruit Peasants, and build Roads. Then start sending my troops out to the borders building watchtowers along the way and seeking out neighboring settlements. I start with Antimache in the north, who marches east from Neo Themiskyra.

Polemusa marches west from Careotae.

Finally Makanyane heads south and lays siege to Androphagia.

Next turn Polemusa sights the Rebel settlement of Vicus Aesti.

To the south, Makanyane has built her siege equipment, and assaults Androphagia. I make it a night attack to reduce the range of the Rebel Archers.

My Agema Archers have the range advantage against the Rebel Archers.

We give them an Amazon welcome.

Once the defenders were slaughtered, I sent the infantry forward to batter a way through the walls.

Then I sent my women and men in through multiple entry points.

Advancing upon the town square, I have my Agema Archers open up on the Naked Fanatics there. I array my Spearwomen directly in front of them in a shield wall, with a Warband directly behind them to lend the weight of their numbers. A unit of Militia Axewomen waits on one flank, with Makanyane on the other.

The Fanatics are lured from the square and charge my spearwomen.

Then Makanyane and the Axewomen close the trap behind them.

Their Captain is cut down by a lowly spearman.

The Rebel Warband was finished off in similar fashion, and the city was mine. Losses were high though. Those Naked Fanatics took a real toll, even upon my Spearwomen in their shield wall. In retrospect I should have placed the Warband in front of the Spearwomen to soak up the brunt of the Fanatic's charge. They are much more expendable.

As it is a tiny settlement, I Occupy.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 03-28-2009 at 21:50.
    There are never enough hours in the days of a Queen, and her nights have too many...

ATW Version 2.5 is now out!