Thread: Announcement: FileFront and Europa Barbarorum

Default Announcement: FileFront and Europa Barbarorum

Greetings Europa Barbarorum fans.

As many of you may know, FileFront is closing its doors on the 30th March 2009. FileFront has, since first opening its doors back in 2000, been at the centre of modding and gaming communities, offering them much needed bandwidth for the distribution of new content such as mods, patches and everything inbetween.

For some of you FileFront has only been experienced as a mirror for your favourite mod, or the latest patch for one of your games. For others, their relationship with FileFront has been more involved. We of the Europa Barbarorum team owe FileFront a great debt of gratitude, for they have provided us with the bandwidth and high download speeds necessary for a mod of our size. For EB 1.1 alone, FileFront has been the single most important download mirror for us, with over 60000 separate downloads recorded by our tracker.

FileFront offered us a simple and effective way of distributing our mod to our many fans. We feel strongly that part of EB's success is because of the service that FileFront offered us and the many other modification teams out there.

Momentarily, until we find another server with similar charactersitics, all Filefront mirrors for Europa Barbarorum downloads are to be taken down. As such, we ask the community to rely primarly on torrents to download Europa Barbarorum files, until we find another direct download server that offers a service as reliable as Filefront.

I hope you will join us in offering a toast to the FileFront team, to thank them for their support for the modding communities and wish them good luck in their future endeavours.

Regards,

The Europa Barbarorum team.
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Default Re: Announcement: FileFront and Europa Barbarorum

I do. Cheers FileFront, and thanks
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

Yeah, i downloaded my eb off filefront!
    Good luck and thanks guys!
    What a shame.

Italians do it better! Chi dice donna dice guai. Abbi donna di te minore, se vuoi essere signore. Donne e buoi dei paesi tuoi. Fiume, grondaia e donna parlatora mandano l'uomo di casa fuora.
    And my personal favorite: "Non rimuovere il confine antico fissato dai tuoi padri". In english: "Do not remove the anchent border placed by your fathers". It looses something in the translation......

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Post Re: Announcement: FileFront and Europa Barbarorum

What's wrong with torrents? I mean, usually, there are problems with getting enough seeders. But the EB community is very courteous and considered, or at the very least compared to an average torrent user, so I am sure if you request everyone who downloads to remember to seed, then you will get enough seeders, allowing high DL speeds. In the first days it will be a bit on the slow side, but FileFront was not much faster on my computer than most torrents.

The only problem is that some networks (military/university) block torrents. Otherwise, I do not see why torrents would not work. Not to mention torrenting, in its basics, is so simple. Just download a torrent Client, go to the site with the torrent, and click "Download". The BitTorrent client does the rest for you, including the seeding.

All that aside, I thank FileFront, for it was the place where I got my EB. That was the best thing that ever happened to me on Internet .

So what is happening to FileFront? What is the problem? Is it going to be gone forever, or is it changing its form? Why did they pick the day before April Fool's?

According to Filefront, they are shutting down "indefinitely", which probably means forever.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

well, I'm here to say thanks to the website-I have been able to send files to my friends that way at the org, and owe them for letting me hae an account with which to spread important data now to fin another place

@moros: If you have not downloaded the .doc format sabaean info alreadty, do so (unless it is too late).
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Thanks to FileFront for their services. I downloaded EB from FileFront, along with many other files.

Cheers and thanks FF,
    Vartan
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

FileFront was my favorite file hosting site. I'm sad to see it go. Good work, FIleFront, for all you have done for us.

I downloaded most of the mods I played and additional files to them from FileFront. Thanks to them for there sevices. Toast!
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

shame that this economy is taking the best...
    a toast to you, Filefront!
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 03-30-2009 at 12:23.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Default AW: Announcement: FileFront and Europa Barbarorum

Sad, Filefront was always my favourite download site. A big

But the day before April Fool's is really a bit suspicious

Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam

Balloon Count: 4

My Greek Nobles:
    from satalexton, his name is Plato
    from satalexton, his name is Sōkrátēs
    from satalexton, his nam is Aristotélēs

Whow, that´s bad!
    i don´t know that befor...
    i allway´s enjoy filefront downloads because they´re really fast (compare to torrent)
    R.I.P. for this good job

Unhappy Re: Announcement: FileFront and Europa Barbarorum

What a pity ...they were fast, easy to use, scam-free, and gratis...

I'm going to miss them.
    Thank you, FF!
    Yet Brutus says he was ambitious, and Brutus is an honorable man

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

I spent a lot (a lot) of time over at the Knights of the Old Republic Filefront community and downloaded countless mods. I don't know what will happen to the whole community now, where will everyone go?

I to salute Filefront and remember happier days of joy and laughter spend at its many communities.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

I still hope that's only a bad April Fool's joke and they make only a big sever update. Has the filefront team said why they close it?

Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam

Balloon Count: 4

My Greek Nobles:
    from satalexton, his name is Plato
    from satalexton, his name is Sōkrátēs
    from satalexton, his nam is Aristotélēs

Default Re: AW: Announcement: FileFront and Europa Barbarorum

Filefront is still up. April Fools.

I can still download and upload stuff on filefront.
    Last edited by Banzai!; 04-01-2009 at 04:49.
    OMG I haz a balloon,
    -awarded by chairman

Wise and Partially Handsome Member Jarardo's Avatar

Seems to still be up, though I think someone may have just forgotten to turn the switch off. The mods don't seem to know whats going on.

Filefront is/was a good site, when they opened, a lot of other download sites required you to create an account just to download a file. You'd have to go through the whole email activation process. I don't know if many sites still do that. Anyway, I've used filefront as my main host for years, sad to see it go.

Goodbyeii
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

www.EuropaBarbarorum.com

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

I will miss it ...

My Submods for EB
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Announcement: FileFront and Europa Barbarorum

Filefront has posted an announcement stating that they will not close down, and that it wasn't an April-fool joke.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Filefront is back!!!

FileFront has been acquired by the original founders of the site and will NOT be suspended as previously announced. This is NOT an April Fool's Joke.

After learning about Ziff Davis Media's plan to shut down FileFront at the end of March, the original founders of FileFront made the decision to buy it back from Ziff Davis Media.

We're happy to announce to the gaming community that as of today, April 1st, 2009, FileFront is a completely independent company again and is no longer part of Ziff Davis Media. All previously suspended services should be active and working again. We thank Ziff Davis Media for their cooperation and willingness to keep the site and community alive.

Due to the very unfortunate timing of this event and related announcements on March 24th and April 1st (April Fool's Day), we'd like to make it perfectly clear that:

1) The March 24th announcement about FileFront shutting down was NOT an early April Fool's joke and Ziff Davis Media had every intention of shutting down FileFront by the end of March.

2) This announcement about the original founders buying back FileFront from Ziff Davis Media is also NOT an April Fool's joke.

3) We're making this announcement on April 1st because the deal was completed today and we want to bring all services back online immediately.

4) We would NEVER shut down FileFront as an April Fool's joke.

5) We are happy to be back!

FileFront has existed in one form or another (originally as FileLeech and Voodoo Extreme's downloads) since 1997. In the last 12 years, FileFront has become the gaming community's most comprehensive and trafficked library hosting millions of files for thousands of games while requiring no registration and providing uncapped download speeds. We look forward to improving FileFront and serving the gaming community for years to come.

Welcome home. Game On!

Email us, founders@filefront.com

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Hooray! Balloons for the founders:
    Last edited by Skullheadhq; 04-02-2009 at 16:03.
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46