Thread: Backstabber! Attacked by forces given safe passage.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Default Backstabber! Attacked by forces given safe passage.

Anybody else had this on the diplomacy screen? I have it from the Iriquois who I went to war against when they attacked the Thirteen Colonies as I was the colonies protector, I haven't even fought them though so I don't really undestand how it came about.

Praeparet bellum Member Quillan's Avatar

Default Re: Backstabber! Attacked by forces given safe passage.

It shows up whenever you declare war on someone with whom you had military access. I got it once when I used military access to get an army next to Hindustan and then took it out from under the Mughals. However, in that case I marched an army for three turns through Mughal territory before attacking their capital. I don't know if that modifier will show up if you declare war and have no armies in their territory at all.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

That make sense, cheers. I don't think I ever had military access with them though, unless the Thirteen Colonies had and that message passed onto me when I absorbed them?

Praeparet bellum Member Quillan's Avatar

Really no telling. Every time a faction emerges in the game I have mysterious diplomatic modifiers with them, like -60 territorial expansion when I haven't captured a single territory since they existed or negatives for "assassination attempts" when I hadn't tried a single assassination in the entire game.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

I've had that show up even after canceling military access before declaring war, it's rather annoying since it's already so easy for factions to hate you.
    I shouldn't have to live in a world where all the good points are horrible ones.

Is he hurt? Everybody asks that. Nobody ever says, 'What a mess! I hope the doctor is not emotionally harmed by having to deal with it.'