Thread: New hot fix, March 30

Default New hot fix, March 30

New hot fix on March 30, Steam just updated:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

[-]March 30, 2009 - Empire: Total War Update Released

Updates to Empire: Total War have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Empire: Total War

Fixed applied to sound caching which could caused crashes in land and sea battles on some systems

Okay, hope it will be better now.
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: New hot fix, March 30

got it!
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just got it this second. Went to post and you already beat me. :o
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

That was quick! Thanks for the notification!

ETW is only 26 days old but already has 4 patches/fixes under its belt.

Calapine/Susanna
    Last edited by Susanna; 03-30-2009 at 18:20.

I can't wait to get home and see if it fixes my Austria campaign. I wasn't sure if it was the patch that broke it or the issue with getting into the late game (70+ turns). I guess I'll find out tonight.
    I see stupid people....walking around like regular people....they don't even know they're stupid.

Interesting, i've been playing my game with the sound off and it hasnt crashed since, so i guess i'll see whether this patch will do the trick. Playing withotu sound really bites...

Well, it didn't crash for me, but after the 26th March patch battle sound had some weird lags.

I tried a battle now and it seems better. Also on the campaign map, clicking on large fleets still brings in some lag, but it also seems better.
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Susanna View Post
    That was quick! Thanks for the notification!

ETW is only 26 days old but already has 4 patches/fixes under its belt.

Calapine/Susanna
    Should tell you something no?

Quote Originally Posted by Karash View Post
    Should tell you something no?
    Yes, that the game got released two weeks too soon.
    At least they are doing SOMETHING. Imagine the atmosphere here if we had no patches or "We are working on it" acknowledgements from CA yet. I suppose lots of posts containg:
    Susanna/Calapine
    Last edited by Susanna; 03-30-2009 at 19:29.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why do you sign your posts off with a pikachu? It has got my curiosity.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by TiberiusBeskar View Post
    Why do you sign your posts off with a pikachu? It has got my curiosity.
    Oh...because it's soo cute. http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Gulf/...s/pikachu2.wav Piika-chuuuu!

*hides in shame*

I'm afraid to let Steam install it. It was after the last hotfix that I started getting CTDs, even if it did fix a lot of my lagging issues.

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Great, now can we fix the savegame bug?

I just got set back ten turns in my Prussian campaign because it decided to lose both the autosave AND my latest save
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Fixed applied to sound caching which could caused crashes in land and sea battles on some systems
    I sure hope their code isn't as prone to typos as their release notes...

I hope this will fix my sound... I don't think its been causing CTDs but often my sound has been cutting out or playing with substantial delay.
    Like I'd see my guys shoot a volley but only hear a few muskets, then 20secs or so later I'd hear a volley but there is no smoke or bullets so it must have been the earlier volley
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Warrior on the edge of time Member kitbogha's Avatar

Let's hope it sorts things. I looked forward sooooooooooo much to this game and have been pretty ****ing frustrated so far.
    "I like a man who grins when he fights"
    Winston Churchill.
    "It is not sufficient that I suceed - all others must fail.”
    Genghis Khan

Me too. I haven't had any battle crashes but i have noticed my men shooting and then only hearing the volleys 10 or sometimes even 20 or 30 seconds later.

Still, another patch so soon, nice.

I used to hate that laggy sound, especialy when i used to tell my canons to stop when the last unit routed so I could send my general after them to get exp and just as he was about to barrel down on them i would here the ominous sound of canon fire and cringed at the possible friendly fire killing my General only to race back to the canons to find them sitting there with a limberd canon acting all "What we didnt do nuff'n guvnor" look on their faces.
    di vos incolumes custodiant

Well.. i started having ctds after last patch (the one on March 25th) and that seems to be gone. good.

How stable are the current fixes? I have held off downloading the previous ones after reading negative feedback, given the original has been relatively trouble free for me.

(Wasn't Steam supposed to improve patching? Please CA take your time and release when ready)

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MadKow View Post
    Well.. i started having ctds after last patch (the one on March 25th) and that seems to be gone. good.

Same here. My sound is still fubar in the videos but otherwise the game is stable again.
    "Après moi le déluge"

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

From the official forum:
    A number of sound problems seem to be due to the advisor cutting off the in-game FX. Please could I suggest switching the advice level to 'NONE' until we get this next patch out to you.
    Tosa Inu

When are they going to fix the reinforcements bug? every time I fight a battle where both sides have the reinforcements come on to the map directly next to or right on top of the enemies reinforcements and when just they have reinforcements they always enter the map in crazy places, like last night I put an army on the bridge over the river North of Paris I controlled the north side of the river and had manned forts with red zones going to the ocean. They attacked me with 2 Units and 2 armies of reinforcements When the battle started the 2 units were on the opposite side of the river and the 2 armies entered the map on my side of the river.

The sound bug has nothing to do with the advisor, just wanted to say. I've had the adviser turned off since i bought the game because it annoyed the hell out of me, so it isn't that.

What it might be is a bug with the advisor, where it's still giving us advice even though it's turned off, so we can't hear or see it but the game is still cutting the sound where the adviser would speak.

Just a theory/suggestion.

I'm new to Steam - do I need to "do" anything or will it update with all the patches automatically?

As long as Steam is running in the background, it updates your game automatically.

I think it even downloads the update whilst you play the game, but obviously doesn't install it until you stop playing.

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jsberry View Post
    I'm new to Steam - do I need to "do" anything or will it update with all the patches automatically?
    Nope, it automatically breaks your machine if you have it running in the background.
    RIP Tosa