Thread: Custom Battle question

Default Custom Battle question

Am I doing something wrong or why are there no chariots or elephants in the set-up for Custom Battle. Arche Seleukeia has neither - even though they get em in campaigns - and Ptolemaitoi has elephants but no chariots??? Btw, this is my first time trying custom battle ;)

Btw, has anybody ever made a Historical Battle out of the Battle Of Pydna - though I like many battles more, that one has to be THE battle that I'd like to try and play myself, and see if I can save Makedonia. Battle of Magnesia between Rome and Antiochus III comes a close second ;)
    Moreover, I advise that Syracusans must be added to EB (insp. by Cato the Elder )

Is looking forward to the 2090's, when EB 20.0 will be released - spanning the entire Eurasian continent and having no Eleutheroi - with a faction for every independent state instead. Look out for the Gedrosians, the Cretans and the kingdom of Kallatis!

Default Re: Custom Battle question

Quote Originally Posted by artaxerxes
    Am I doing something wrong or why are there no chariots or elephants in the set-up for Custom Battle. Arche Seleukeia has neither - even though they get em in campaigns - and Ptolemaitoi has elephants but no chariots??? Btw, this is my first time trying custom battle ;)

Btw, has anybody ever made a Historical Battle out of the Battle Of Pydna - though I like many battles more, that one has to be THE battle that I'd like to try and play myself, and see if I can save Makedonia. Battle of Magnesia between Rome and Antiochus III comes a close second ;)
    Are you playing in single player?? You shoul play multi player!!!
    They make it a desert, and call it peace.
    Calgacus, leader of the Caledonians: Tacitus

All I want is just to try a few Custom Battle, since I'm usually to greedy to bother spending excessive amounts of money on building Elephants in the actual game, since I can trash my opponents without em. Im not gonna play a lot of Custom Battle, I just wanna try out a battle where I don't have any economic strain or any greater strategic goal... But is there any REASON why there are no elephants or chariots for Seleukeia, Baktria, Epeiros...????
    Moreover, I advise that Syracusans must be added to EB (insp. by Cato the Elder )

Is looking forward to the 2090's, when EB 20.0 will be released - spanning the entire Eurasian continent and having no Eleutheroi - with a faction for every independent state instead. Look out for the Gedrosians, the Cretans and the kingdom of Kallatis!

I is da bestest at grammar Member Strategos Alexandros's Avatar

He means use the multiplayer link rather thann the singleplayer one to use custom battles.
    - my first balloon, from Mouzafphaerre
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior
    https://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bi...ookup=Plb.+toc <- read this!
    "Do you know what's worth fighting for?
    When it's not worth dying for?"

Oh... I'll try... Sorry, didn't get it

Thanks a lot, I'll try it right away :)

Hmmm.... Didn't seem to alter the fact, that only Ptolematoi, Rome and Carthage (so far) has elephants. Nobody has chariots, and Seleucids, Parthians, Epirotes etc. have not a shadow of an elephant...

REGIVS ORATOR LINGVAE LATINAE Member Jaume's Avatar

Technical and related question:

When I installed EB 1.1, I realized that Custom Battles in Single player didn't work (there were problems with the units).

So I think I renamed an archive from another folder (just like export_descr_unit or something like that) and copy it into Data folder (but I don't remember exactly). Will I have problems when I'll start a campaign? Anyway, I conserve the original files.

Its all there, try dragging the ball instead of using arrows as they tend to move between beginning/end of the list skipping all in the middle.

Yep, just move the marker by dragging it, don' use the arrows.

With the Romans I didn't find any Roman unit like velites or triarii in the custom battle screen, only foreign soldiers. Just some Italic allies, but not a single legionary. Licterally, no Roman units. O_o
    However, if I press the "let the pc choose units" then Roman units do appear...

(btw, for every people units are totally mixed and is a little boring scrolling the selections in order to find native units among a lot of other units)
    Last edited by Connacht; 05-21-2008 at 19:37.
    You're an island of tranquillity in a sea of chaos.

O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!

Angry Re: Custom Battle question

Read the posts above. When you start EB in the start menu, click on multiplayer and play the custom battles on there.
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 05-21-2008 at 19:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah
    Read the posts above. When you start EB in the start menu, click on multiplayer and play the custom battles on there.
    How quick you are in thinking that I randomly post without reading other messages.
    Unfortunately the problem still remains, even in multiplayer.
    Maybe I am doing some mistakes, but I do not have any own native unit at all. -.-

(however, if there is a bug it should be anyway corrected, not only simply avoided, imho ;))

Quote Originally Posted by Connacht
    Maybe I am doing some mistakes, but I do not have any own native unit at all. -.-

(however, if there is a bug it should be anyway corrected, not only simply avoided, imho ;))
    My problem EXACTLY. Actually I've just given up and don't bother trying to solve it, but would like to support you, since I've got the same problem. I don't have ANY roman units under Romani either - just as under Seleucids there are NO chariots, NO elephants, and ONLY the highest version of phalanx - all the cheaper ones aren't there either. Other factions show lacking forces as well.

And

1 - problem REMAINS UNALTERED in multiplayer, sorry

2 - sorry, but we're not THAT daft I know the arrows have a tendency to scroll all the way to the bottom, but I've examined it throughly, before posting in here. I've gone down 1 line at a time, so that I could always see the line of troops, I had already examined, above - and from TOP to BOTTOM there are NO chariots, elephants, native romans, cheap phalanx etc.

As I said, I've given up and don't care. But I post this to inform that using multiplayer and using careful scrolling changes nothing

The Rabbit Nibbler Member Korlon's Avatar

Did you choose the Play Multi Player shortcut when you started up EB?
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Remanent or Supremacy - An EB Pontos AAR - Unfortunately postponed indefinitely.
    1.1 Saka Rauka Gameplay Guide
    1.1 Lusotannan Gameplay Guide

As I said, I've given up and don't care. But I post this to inform that using multiplayer and using careful scrolling changes nothing
    You are wrong. Everything is there in EB 1.1 MP version.
    Last edited by LorDBulA; 05-22-2008 at 18:37.

Thumbs up Re: Custom Battle question

Quote Originally Posted by Connacht
    How quick you are in thinking that I randomly post without reading other messages.

Heh heh...

Yeah, sorry about that. When I was brash, proud, and younger, I used to post around senselessly and insult people for seemingly no reason, and was assuming you were doing the same.

EDIT: I don't know, but I think I'm still brash, young, and proud.
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 05-23-2008 at 01:58.

Quote Originally Posted by LorDBulA
    You are wrong. Everything is there in EB 1.1 MP version.
    The comments in here have also lead me to believe that it is a problem of my particular game and not of everybody elses as well, and since I really don't care that much after all (Carthage has elephants so I just use them), I don't wanna bother finding out what the problem is. But it seems that Connacht has the same problem.

I know very well that the marker jumps many lines...

However, that's not the only problem I have with EB, while Vanilla Rome was totally reliable. Sometimes game suddenly crashes (and yesterday, after just entered in game and scrolled the campaign map for two seconds, my computer rebooted and Windows said "the computer has been restarted after a serious error" O.O) and some units don't have a portrait in the selection list. So I'm going to try to reinstall EB, maybe the setup just went bad the first time.

HELP ME, I just downloaded the game and when i go to custom battle i noticed that the units seemed misplaced and scrambled about. how do i fix this so the right units are with the right faction??

-Ryan

to get an adequate troop selection in a costom battle you have to start the game with the Multiplayer exe. the singleplayer version is for th campaign only.

but next time: read the FAQ :P
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

what faq? where?

The FAQ stickied a the top of the page...

And perhaps you should read the important information too, it could be important.

--> - Never near Argos - <--