Thread: ultra sized units: cannot enter buildings...

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Default ultra sized units: cannot enter buildings...

The other night, I decided to give ultra-sized units a try (I've heard those perform better in square formation). To my disappointment, ultra-sized units cannot enter buildings. I had to dismount dragoons (smaller unit size) to fortify a town.

Default Re: ultra sized units: cannot enter buildings...

It makes sense to me as the units are now much larger. It would be funny to see a huge group of men trying to get inside a small farmhouse

Does the same apply for some of the larger buildings on some of the maps as they appear to be multi-story affairs?
    May the Foss be with you....

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

My units can enter buildings on ultra, I have had line infantry in buildings many times. If you look at the building it tells you how many men can fit inside, some of the smaller buildings can only hold 80 so ultra sized line infantry won't fit. I have noticed a few occasions were my men won't enter the building for no apparent reason though.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    My units can enter buildings on ultra, I have had line infantry in buildings many times. If you look at the building it tells you how many men can fit inside, some of the smaller buildings can only hold 80 so ultra sized line infantry won't fit. I have noticed a few occasions were my men won't enter the building for no apparent reason though.
    Hmm... then my case must have been one of those. I had a building that could hold 500+ troops, but would not take and ultra-sized 160 men line unit.

You can tell how many troops a building can hold by mousing over. If the unit has too many troops for the building to hold, then the extra troops are left outside the building. IE, if a building holds 140, and you try to put 160 in, then 20 will remain outside, drop to their knees, and kiss their arse goodbye. What I find disturbing is larger buildings with high capacity. I can still only get one unit in, even if the building holds 500. That's odd.

Personally, once I have movable artillery, I love to see the AI enter to fortify. They will stay there until I demolish the structure. Almost all of the unit is KIA when building collapses. I've also found the building, wall, etc., to not be the great advantage they should be. Most of your troops never fire. I always play on VH, but I don't think that makes a difference.
    Our greatest glory lies not in never having fallen, but in rising every time we fall. Oliver Goldsmith

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    Hmm... then my case must have been one of those. I had a building that could hold 500+ troops, but would not take and ultra-sized 160 men line unit.
    There are some units like pikemen that cannot enter buildings. That might be the problem.
    Tosa Inu

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Alphonse View Post
    There are some units like pikemen that cannot enter buildings. That might be the problem.
    Trying to use a pike in a crammed room with 80 other men doesn't sound pratical.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Alphonse View Post
    no, that was not the problem. i was trying to put a unit of linemen into a building. the building capacity was around 500; the unit size on ultra = 160. still, could not put them inside.

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

odd, ive never had this problem. i play on ultra, and only a few times have i ever had a building too small to fit my men in. and then that makes sense. i usually dont garrison buildings however. if you think about it, yah, it gives you some cover, but, honestly, you can only have like 10 men max firing at once. plus a well-aimed cannonball will annhilate most of your unit. trust me. one time i had a single unit of line infantry facing off against 5 units of native irregulars in a building, and killed almost no one. i tried again with them taking cover behind a wall in single line formation instead, and i still lost inevitably, but i killed many more men. unless you have less than 40 men in a unit, dont bother garrisoning any buildings. its pretty useless, plus melee infantry and cannons will destroy you.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object