Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: the random thought thread

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default the random thought thread

if people from Poland are called Poles, why arent people from Holland called Holes?

why do people who are going bald insist on headbanging, even though it looks insanely ridiculous?

why does beer taste horrible when warm?

why is the answer to life 42?
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Default Re: the random thought thread

Quote Originally Posted by hooahguy View Post
    if people from Poland are called Poles, why arent people from Holland called Holes?
    Ever met a Polish dance performer?
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

why are laptops called laptops when if putting it on your lap (if ur a guy) is harmful to your health?
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Why do you frown, little owl?
    BLARGH!

Because it's the Netherlands.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Can't you smell that smell?

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    Because it's the Netherlands.
    Then how does Noles sound?
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

why are people such 's sometimes?
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

why are people such 's sometimes?
    Such daisys? That is a funny thing to ask...

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why do people insist on opposition and differences than on cooperation and similarities?
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinseikhaan View Post
    Why do people insist on opposition and differences than on cooperation and similarities?
    Because it is our differences that divide us, not our similarities. I have never known two different people learn to get along who have no confronted their differences headon and worked something out. If people would stop pretending that differences didn't exist and just confront them headon I think we would soon have a world free of nearly all conflict. People are too eager to just brush their differences under the rug now adays, and then they come back to bite them in later. I agree that most differences are small enough that they should not divide people (race, ethnicity, etc) and should not be a focus, but there are some differences that WILL cause divides if they are NOT confronted. (and probably even if they are, but at least then you are being honest with yourself and others, and can at least agree to live seperately and in peace)

Why is it that the games we are most looking forward to are the ones that come with the most number of bugs?

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    Because it is our differences that divide us, not our similarities. I have never known two different people learn to get along who have no confronted their differences headon and worked something out. If people would stop pretending that differences didn't exist and just confront them headon I think we would soon have a world free of nearly all conflict. People are too eager to just brush their differences under the rug now adays, and then they come back to bite them in later. I agree that most differences are small enough that they should not divide people (race, ethnicity, etc) and should not be a focus, but there are some differences that WILL cause divides if they are NOT confronted. (and probably even if they are, but at least then you are being honest with yourself and others, and can at least agree to live seperately and in peace)
    I frankly must reject the idea that a world where everybody confronts each other over every difference could possibly be world free of conflict.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

I frankly must reject the idea that a world where everybody confronts each other over every difference could possibly be world free of conflict.
    I did not say every difference though, I said the important ones that divide us. And I did not say confront each other, I said confront the differences.
    Let me give you an example. A mate of mine and I where I worked found out that we had big differences. He loved to play loud (and frankly, obnoxious) music when we worked, and it drove me crazy, but he could not work without it. I decided to be positive and not say anything, but it got so bad that one day when it was really hot out and I was ed because of something that had happened to me earlier in the day, I snapped at him and asked him to turn his music down. He turned it off and we went on working. For the next few days we worked side-by-side and he did not play his music at all, but there was a lot of tension in the air. I finally got up the nerve to apologize, and this time he snapped at me. :P Finally one day we sat down and talked about it, and I explained to him why it aggrevated me so much, and that I did not mean to make him angry. In the end we ended up making a CD with a mix of songs that each of us liked. :P

(I know it may sound silly getting that angry over music, but when you are out there digging in 90 degree weather all day offensive music can really work on you, esp after you have been subjected to it for days)

EDIT: and I think you are missing another point that some differences are such that they are impossible to ignore, because as long as they exist, they will keep driving people apart. Think of it this way, I am a really nice guy to be around, and really friendly, but I got this belief that everyone is destine to die and it is my job to make sure it happens. You could ignore that and focus on the positive, but seriously, as long as I am alive/still hold that belief, I am gonna kill people/try to kill people, and make peaceful living impossible.
    Last edited by Vuk; 03-31-2009 at 19:04.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    I did not say every difference though, I said the important ones that divide us. And I did not say confront each other, I said confront the differences.
    Let me give you an example. A mate of mine and I where I worked found out that we had big differences. He loved to play loud (and frankly, obnoxious) music when we worked, and it drove me crazy, but he could not work without it. I decided to be positive and not say anything, but it got so bad that one day when it was really hot out and I was ed because of something that had happened to me earlier in the day, I snapped at him and asked him to turn his music down. He turned it off and we went on working. For the next few days we worked side-by-side and he did not play his music at all, but there was a lot of tension in the air. I finally got up the nerve to apologize, and this time he snapped at me. :P Finally one day we sat down and talked about it, and I explained to him why it aggrevated me so much, and that I did not mean to make him angry. In the end we ended up making a CD with a mix of songs that each of us liked. :P

(I know it may sound silly getting that angry over music, but when you are out there digging in 90 degree weather all day offensive music can really work on you, esp after you have been subjected to it for days)

EDIT: and I think you are missing another point that some differences are such that they are impossible to ignore, because as long as they exist, they will keep driving people apart. Think of it this way, I am a really nice guy to be around, and really friendly, but I got this belief that everyone is destine to die and it is my job to make sure it happens. You could ignore that and focus on the positive, but seriously, as long as I am alive/still hold that belief, I am gonna kill people/try to kill people, and make peaceful living impossible.
    Perhaps we could take this discussion to the science forum, since that's apparently where philosophy is supposed to be discussed? I'm afraid we're going to be drifting off topic here.

Perhaps we could take this discussion to the science forum, since that's apparently where philosophy is supposed to be discussed? I'm afraid we're going to be drifting off topic here.
    I AM INSULTED SIR! How dare you insiuate that I am in anyway related to that devious and dark art of philosophy?! lol, or PM would be fine if you are interested in discussing it. I am involved in too many debates on this and other forums right now to devote a lot of time and research to this one. (I am spread too thin, I gotta pull back and regroup a little :P)

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Why I have a bruised Sternum?

Why is everything so exspensive?

Why are PB M&Ms so good?

When am I going to Europe?
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

lol, stay where you are Strike. Europe is not all it is made out to be. :P They dress differently from us and talk differently from us...they must be evil. Sometimes I can see these sneaky little Hungarians plotting in the corners when they think I am not looking. pfff...foreigners

Why is my hovercraft full of eels?
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    Why is my hovercraft full of eels?
    Are the eels what ails your hovercraft?

no sir. this is the random thoughts thread. if you have a random thought, as long as it does not have to do with the backroom, it goes in here.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Can native americans grow a beard?

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Are we living in the Matrix?
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Exclamation Re: the random thought thread

why are laptops called laptops when if putting it on your lap (if ur a guy) is harmful to your health?
    Not so much harmful as it is an impediment to reproduction. The heat lowers your sperm count. Since most of us are not planning to conceive babies any-time soon, I daresay it is a positive thing. Who gave the idea it is harmful?

Be vary of common health knowledge. 90% of it is false. Cough syrup does not work, and neither do most vitamin supplements (depends on the vitamin), calcium supplements, and not to mention, nothing, not even Airborne(tm), can prevent cold (most commonly rhinovirus). Oh, and did I mention that getting cold and wet, sitting on cold cement or metal, or catching a draft is not at all harmful?? It has nothing to do with us getting sick.
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 03-31-2009 at 22:54.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Whoever decided you need to write lots of crap to prove your smart.. im smart just let me learn something rather than labour away at another damn essay!!

thinking on it this probably works better in the vent thread... ohh well

*post*
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Oh, and did I mention that getting cold and wet, sitting on cold cement or metal, or catching a draft is not at all harmful?? It has nothing to do with us getting sick.
    Being cold weakens the immune system, so getting exposed to a disease while cold can make it more likely for symptoms to arise.

Vitamin supplements are useful, it's just that they don't come in all the hundreds of different forms that one finds in nature.

why are meatballs so... not meat-like...
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Post Re: the random thought thread

Quote Originally Posted by desert View Post
    Being cold weakens the immune system, so getting exposed to a disease while cold can make it more likely for symptoms to arise.
    No, you are mistaken. That is what I used to think long time ago, but it is not true. There is absolutely NO link whatsoever between cold temperatures and sickness. If anything, being exposed to cold actually strengthens you, as studies show. How the heck do you think soldiers in WWII and I went wet for days in trenches in freezing temperatures? Especially on the Eastern Front during autumn and spring. it was not resistance, believe me. The soldiers were common conscripts.

Even my biology teacher knows this, and she has a doctorate. It is common knowledge for anyone fairly educated she says, which is quite startling considering the incidence of this misconception. And heck, she is the most intelligent person I have met in my life. She is also my academic team (QuizBowl) coach, and it seems as if there is nothing that she does not know. Her previous academic teams had won at the US nationals twice and placed second thrice (!!). Not bad for such a relatively small town as Pensacola, FL (54,000 people).

Quote Originally Posted by desert View Post
    Vitamin supplements are useful, it's just that they don't come in all the hundreds of different forms that one finds in nature.
    It is not so much about the forms as it is the compounds the vitamins are found alongside in nature. Just as Vitamin D facilitates the absorption of Calcium, same happens with other vitamins and more complex organic compounds that act akin in a manner similar to enzymes (although the way they facilitate the absorption of vitamins could not be more different from enzymes)

guys, take your discussion of vitamins other places. not here.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    No, you are mistaken. That is what I used to think long time ago, but it is not true. There is absolutely NO link whatsoever between cold temperatures and sickness. If anything, being exposed to cold actually strengthens you, as studies show. How the heck do you think soldiers in WWII and I went wet for days in trenches in freezing temperatures? Especially on the Eastern Front during autumn and spring. it was not resistance, believe me. The soldiers were common conscripts.

Even my biology teacher knows this, and she has a doctorate. It is common knowledge for anyone fairly educated she says, which is quite startling considering the incidence of this misconception. And heck, she is the most intelligent person I have met in my life. She is also my academic team (QuizBowl) coach, and it seems as if there is nothing that she does not know. Her previous academic teams had won at the US nationals twice and placed second thrice (!!). Not bad for such a relatively small town as Pensacola, FL (54,000 people).

It is not so much about the forms as it is the compounds the vitamins are found alongside in nature. Just as Vitamin D facilitates the absorption of Calcium, same happens with other vitamins and more complex organic compounds that act akin in a manner similar to enzymes (although the way they facilitate the absorption of vitamins could not be more different from enzymes)
    Links?
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast