Thread: Dock Battles.

Heir to the Scottish Throne Member Relic's Avatar

Default Dock Battles.

I am yet to have a battle at a dock. Do you see the sea in land battle there? And for naval battles can you see the land?

Thanks!

Relic.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: Dock Battles.

Just had a successful defense of a dockyard from the heathen Marathas. No, couldn't see the docks or industrial buildings. I don't remember even seeing the ocean in the distance, although that was possible. Logically, however, there was a farmhouse, and the usual cluster of fencing. 'Cause docks have a lot of farmhouses.

I didn't think you could attack ships in a harbour, I've tried a few times but the program just ignores me. What you can do is land troops at the harbour and capture it which forces any enemy ships sheltering there to put to sea, where you blockading ships can engage them. I've done that once so far, but don't remember seeing any land during the battle.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

The only battle I've seen the sea in was during that strange Quebec slo-mo brawl in RTI. You should see some water when you're attacked immediately after you disembark somewhere, me thinks.

I miss the Rome TW scenery, I once fought with the Rhodos Colossus in the background, that was fun.
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

It seems there's a chance you'll get an ocean-side battle as long as you're near the ocean, but, as with city battles, I've never seen any buildings specific to the city/town on the map.

Kinda dissapointing. In MTW2 you could look forward to seeing your awesome cities on the battlefield, even if somebody was hurling rocks into them at the time.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

The lack of exciting battle maps is a drag, more apparent the longer you play. Every now and then I'm surprised to find vastly different terrain -- Moscow looked different than the 10 other capitals I'd rolled through to get there. The custom maps from RTI on the other hand are so much better than the same undistinguished rolling pastureland that accounts for 9 out of 10 provinces though. I think I've seen a river battle ... once, fighting on a hill ... once, and some broken terrain that made long line formations impractical ... once. Was the Quebec assault in RTI two a custom map? I can't remember, but it was on a steep valley dropping down to a river and as I recall it happened randomly so I'm not sure, but if so the game is capable of some great visuals ... none of which are ever used.

Would have been fun doing something unique in letting you storm ships at port. Beat the marines, get the frigates.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I started in the marshes outside of the Quebec in the RTI camapign. Yeah, watching all my men slow mo around and get tired and have to fight uphill was a little idiotic.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Member Member Lord of the Isles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ordani View Post
    The lack of exciting battle maps is a drag, more apparent the longer you play.
    Yeah. Conquering India reduced me to tears. The open battles were the same fences, walls and fields as in Europe with a slight sub continental slant to them in places. The cities were all the same boring layout more or less, save for one on a huge sloping hill. To be fair, I find America a little less boring (but still worse than earlier TW battlefields).

It is the sort of thing you don't notice for the first few days of the game. A cynic might suggest that if you were pushed for time, you could get away with it until the reviews are all done and the customers' money is gotten.

Heir to the Scottish Throne Member Relic's Avatar

Gagh... I'm sad now. Modders to the rescue!?

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

You know there were screen shots of ships with land in the background but I just attacked a fleet that was blockading a port.

The allied fleet came out to play and was quickly sunk. It was rainy and stormy and all I saw were waves. I even sailed to the map edges on three sides but never saw land.

Also I dismasted the whole fleet, trying not to sink any but just forcing them to strike…they did but I got not a single prize…not that I would have wanted them, but the prize money would have been nice-

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain