Thread: AntiSpyware XP 2009 help!

Revolutionary Member The New Che Guevara's Avatar

Default AntiSpyware XP 2009 help!

yep. I was stupid enough to ignore my antivirus' warning.

Now I'm faced with a difficult problem.

It installed etc, started annoying me before I could start up M2:TW , here was my mistake, I deleted the files from Start> All Programs way, and not by removing all files. Now I still get the pop ups and a warning that I "have a security problem!". This is getting very frustrating as I cant play any of my games, and I need help. After days of searching, downloading spyware detectors and the like, I am almost at my wits' end.

I am currently using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware as well as AVG 8.0

Any suggestions at all.
    The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggle. The workers have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to gain. Workers of the world, UNITE! - Karl Marx, The Communist Manifesto

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

Default Re: AntiSpyware XP 2009 help!

Spybot used to eat the old versions of this thing for breakfast, although it might've gotten more pernicious since the last time I had to wipe an install of it out for a friend (October/November). Spybot can be found here:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

use spybot over and over again. Scan it when your desktop is up, scan it on re-boot rinse and repeat.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Not familiar with this specific strain, but generally the best way to purge these things is to boot in safe mode, no network connection, and run AV/Spybot/AdAware/etc with the latest defs downloaded before going into safe mode.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Best anti-spyware program I've yet found: SuperAntiSpyware. It's "the shizzle," as kids say on the internets.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them ... well, I have others." — Groucho Marx

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Best anti-spyware program I've yet found: SuperAntiSpyware. It's "the shizzle," as kids say on the internets.
    +1 one of the best out there. Never found anything that it misses that any other free antispyware picks up.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

I must try that one out.

To avoid this kind of malware, use Firefox with the noscript and adblock add ons. Installing noscript means that none of that rubbish can actually run in the first place (well unless you download the .exe and run it that is).
    Last edited by caravel; 04-01-2009 at 08:46.

Revolutionary Member The New Che Guevara's Avatar

thanks for the help. The super antispyware worked.
    The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggle. The workers have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to gain. Workers of the world, UNITE! - Karl Marx, The Communist Manifesto