Thread: faction specific wooden gateways

Default faction specific wooden gateways

I'm trying to make faction specific wooden palisade and wooden wall gateways. To start with, I've tried simply replacing the original short_wooden_wall ITEMs and textures with the same name. That didn't change anything, neither did replacing the listed ITEM or INFO in descr_walls, dbb_wooden_walls, dbb_walls_barbarian, and other files. I tried copying and pasting the gateway entries with my new info in, but that caused a CTD with no explaination.

Does anyone know of a guide that might aid me, or know themselves how to do separate wooden walls?

Here's what I have, maybe someone will be able to identify the problem:

In ITEMS I put the new gateway file (BLTW_CHIN_WALLS_1.ITEM).
    In models_buildings\textures I put the new textures.
    In models_building\INFO\INFO_WALLS I copied the original gateway file and renamed it to the new file.
    In descr_walls I copied and pasted the entry for short wooden walls, limited its availability to one culture, removed that culture from the original entry, and under gateway replaced wooden_short_gateway with the new one (BLTW_CHIN_WALLS_1).

This didn't work, so I went to descr_building_battle, dbb_walls_wooden.txt.
    I replaced the original Item and physical_info with the new one.
    Again nothing, and similar results for dbb_walls_barbarian.

I wonder what's up...

Thanks to anyone who can help

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

Default Re: faction specific wooden gateways

you haven't mentioned the items.db file at all - I think that might be the part you're missing...

I think there are some other ways of doing this but to explain how I've added new items:
    firstly the item is saved as a .cas file not an .item ( or various levels of .cas if you have high and low lods)

then use Alpaca's info and zip file here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=60818

add your new cas's to listing in his descr_items.txt , delete the descr_items.db and attempt to start game - click through it's first few objections and Ctrl-alt-del out of game. That should have now turned your .cas files into items and given you a new descr_items.db which includes them

If you add new items, all the old items need to be in the same folder if you're using a mod-folder you need to copy in the items from BI or from an unpacked RTW depending on which game you're using.... Beware that the db regeneration process will overwrite old items with blank ones depending on your folder structure! so make back up copies of them first....

you also need to add entries to one of the included dbb files which specify which .info file the item uses and amend the walls txt files.

I've not tried using new .info files (we used closest old ones) but there is some info on that here:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=105716
    (which is entirely beyond my understanding )
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

Thanks man, I appreciate the info. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Bassist, God and Modder Member Thor the Bassist's Avatar

Cant remember exactly but I think this also has something to do with descr_walls.txt. It is possible coz I've done it before but cant remember exactly how right now.

Building for the Future of METW