Thread: World Conquest anyone?

Smile World Conquest anyone?

Hi i was just wandering has anyone conquered the entire world yet? I'm trying to in my Spanish campaign now it's 1723 and I'm doing pretty well average about two provs per turn.
    I was just wandering if anybody has conquered the entire world(every province) before.
    Last edited by The historian; 04-01-2009 at 17:33.

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Default Re: World Conquest anyone?

im sure some people have, the people who have played non-stop since they got the game. its not really a difficulty thing as much as it is a time constraint thing. i, for example, have only had the game for 5 days. but, playing as russia for only a few hours a day, i eliminated 3 factions already and am halfway through conquering the ottomans. this may seem like a lot, but i still havent even expanded into europe, india or america yet. the farthest west i ahve been is south of the polish border. so i estimate by the time i conquer the world, i will have had the gam for 4 months.

i can bse this off experience. in R:TW, it took me about 6 months to finish my first world domination campaign(i fought every battle personally). in M2, it took about 4. this is about 3 times the size of m2, but it is also much harder with micromanagement and politics. thus i estimate anywhere from 4-7 months i will dominate the world.

of course, at that point i may already have lost interest in that campaign, as often happens when you dominate everyone.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Heir to the Scottish Throne Member Relic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John-117 View Post
    im sure some people have, the people who have played non-stop since they got the game. its not really a difficulty thing as much as it is a time constraint thing. i, for example, have only had the game for 5 days. but, playing as russia for only a few hours a day, i eliminated 3 factions already and am halfway through conquering the ottomans. this may seem like a lot, but i still havent even expanded into europe, india or america yet. the farthest west i ahve been is south of the polish border. so i estimate by the time i conquer the world, i will have had the gam for 4 months.

i can bse this off experience. in R:TW, it took me about 6 months to finish my first world domination campaign(i fought every battle personally). in M2, it took about 4. this is about 3 times the size of m2, but it is also much harder with micromanagement and politics. thus i estimate anywhere from 4-7 months i will dominate the world.

of course, at that point i may already have lost interest in that campaign, as often happens when you dominate everyone.
    Out of curiosity, what difficulty were you on?

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States, Earth

I could of in a few campaigns but it gets boring for me near the end where victory is assured, so I usually stop playing. It's too easy right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Relic View Post
    Out of curiosity, what difficulty were you on?
    for which games?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish View Post
    I could of in a few campaigns but it gets boring for me near the end where victory is assured, so I usually stop playing. It's too easy right now.
    thats the way TW has always been (or at least the games i have had) once you are so close, you just lose interest. it always happens. however, having many regions in your victory conditions helps to make it interesting.

I hate it that such conquest is so easy. It is so completely contrary to the "limited" nature of warfare before Napoleon.

Frederick II was "the Great" and he only won one province from Austria in two major wars. I am playing Prussia and by 1720 own most of Austria and Poland. My only tough adversary? Courland. Freaking Courland.

And, this is my very first time to play the game, and I'm not using any gimmick strategies like selling access. AND I'm auto-calcing all battles to avoid a sure CTD in the transition to the battle map.

This could be such a wonderful game if they'd just make it more realistic.
    Last edited by jsberry; 04-01-2009 at 20:17.

in my experience i only get a CTD after every other battle i fight on the batlemap, up until the new patch. if you want to actually fight the battles, save at the scroll asking if you want to fight or auto-calc, then go back and load it, then fight it. rinse and repeat for every battle. but after the new patch i havent had a single CTD.

I usually try to roleplay my conquest a bit. Usually by the point that I've completed my goals, there's nothing stopping me from continuing to the ends of the earth, but it doesn't really feel right to do so.

Its nothing like say MTW 2, where I had trouble expanding past Africa as Spain because the Mongols had multiple full stacks waiting for any armies I shipped all the way across the world, or when I barely won as the Russians because transporting modern armies all the way to the front lines took years. Its easy in ETW so I limit myself.
    "Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shall thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end". -Tolkien

I usually conquer the whole world on the first campaign, which happened to be the Ottomans. M/M, took my time for a while, then just steam rolled everything. Ironically the best fights were the last 2 factions, Poland and Britain. Poland alone raised my total kills by 20,000 and gave me a nice prize heavy first rate for my fleet.

I shouldn't have to live in a world where all the good points are horrible ones.

Is he hurt? Everybody asks that. Nobody ever says, 'What a mess! I hope the doctor is not emotionally harmed by having to deal with it.'

For an easy world conquest the most important thing to do is to blitz the 1 city minors before they juice up into multiple stack mode (not sure how they have the cash to do that). Larger nations are a walk over since even though they have multiple cities their armies are roughly the same size as the miinors but spread out to cover more ground. Hell the hardest targets for WC is prolly the NA tribes (cuz you cant generate enough manpower to take it out quick unless you're the UK) and India since you have to transport your armies over there and soldiers sucking up upkeep while in transit would really bite in the early game.

Sad to say but i like keeping the minors hanging around to use em for target practice. I pounce on their little stacks (anywhere from 2-10) cuz their capital is already crammed full of troops, and build up some crazy kill counts for the xp.

Man getting to 5 chevrons is such a huge pain i've 4 chevrons units killings hundreds of dudes per battle and not gaining the next bar

Quote Originally Posted by Fondor_Yards View Post
    you can only conquer that much of america? thats pretty dissapointing, was hoping to go to at least new mexico

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Oh, there is new mexico. Its just at the extreme left of the world map. There isn't much there though.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

so...he didnt conquer the whole world? just most of the factions?

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

No, a lot of the Americas isn't counted as territory, just generic "wilderness" you can't capture them. New Mexico is a region, and he captured it, you can see the tiny white bit of it jutting out on the far left of the Americas map.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Default Re: realism?

Quote Originally Posted by jsberry View Post
    This could be such a wonderful game if they'd just make it more realistic.
    I'd like to see that, as well. But, such a thing might not be "fun."

Here are just some of the changes needed:
    • A realistic logistics system, including attrition, lines of supply, stockpiles, and foraging (with much higher foraging requirements for cavalry -- one reason armies had relatively few such units) -- no 20-unit stacks of dragoons rampaging through the Persian deserts;
    • Much higher support costs, keeping army and navy sizes small;
    • Recruitment, training, and support based on each unit's "home" regional population, and even the old S:TW (or, more generally, AoR) idea of certain regions specializing in certain unit types;
    • Much longer training and reinforcement times (one reason there were so few all-out engagements during this time period);
    • Weather effects -- there were almost no Winter campaigns during this time period, for good reason, and plenty of ships were lost at sea in storms;
    • Iron, gunpowder, and other strategic resources, in sufficient quantity, to recruit/support each unit type;
    • other stuff I forgot to mention ...

Some of this can be covered in an E:TR mod, but much of it would require changing the code itself.
    Forums are good for sharing questions, wikis are good for sharing answers:
    Check out the Online ETW Data in the Totalwar.org wiki.

i disagree with you completely. that would make it boring and waaay too much micromanaging.

and there is an AoR for some regions. play as united provinces and check cylon. rather than line infantry, it is V.O.C. infantry.

I have conquered the world as Georgia on hard difficulty. It was a bit difficult in the beginning but once you get large enough this game gets too easy. I have tried to conquer the world as a native faction but the best boat you can get is a trade ship and only when you conquer a European nation that has a trade port. So it is pretty much impossible to take down the enemy when all you have are ships that have like 4 guns and surrender after like 2 hits. Anyways once you get going this game is too easy even after giving your enemies almost all your money. They don't seem to pump out many armies.

I have played a game once as a native faction and the Dutch almost had all of Europe by the end of the game lol. The French almost always get killed off in the first half of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by John-117 View Post
    and there is an AoR for some regions. play as united provinces and check cylon. rather than line infantry, it is V.O.C. infantry.

Every European power has Company infantry in India, they have the same stats as regular line infantry

OT:
    I'm on my way to conquer the world, only the Ottoman Empire and the Native Americans stand in my way..
    My Balloons:

Playing as the Republiek der Zeven Verenigde Nederlanden

The actual UP flag

Quote Originally Posted by Belgolas View Post
    I have conquered the world as Georgia on hard difficulty. It was a bit difficult in the beginning but once you get large enough this game gets too easy. I have tried to conquer the world as a native faction but the best boat you can get is a trade ship and only when you conquer a European nation that has a trade port. So it is pretty much impossible to take down the enemy when all you have are ships that have like 4 guns and surrender after like 2 hits. Anyways once you get going this game is too easy even after giving your enemies almost all your money. They don't seem to pump out many armies.
    ah. all factions unlocked mod i presume?

anyway, TW games have always been like that. the start is usually the hardest, then when the ball gets rolling it just doesn't stop. believe it or not it is a real military action. it is called gaining momentum. once enough momentum of a military force is gained, it pretty much just steamrolls through enemy opposition.