Thread: Revolutions?

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Default Revolutions?

How do revolutions work? What do I do if i want a different government? which government is best?

im sorry i have to ask this, the manual doesnt tell you crap.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Default Re: Revolutions?

Some threads:
    Absolute monarchy: how to not have a revolution every 10 years?

How do you make revolutions?

revolutions

Basically raise the taxes on your capital and remove them from your other provinces. If you have a Republic and want to go Monarchy, raise the middle class tax. If you have a Monarchy and want to go Republic, raise the lower class tax.

There is also the factor of having too many schools and such as well.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mailman is always helpful.

But please use the search function...
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Exclamation Re: Revolutions?

Don't give up your hereditary right to rule as an absolute monarch. You'll miss being able to appoint your own ministers at will.

The system doesn't make much sense. The middle class would be republic supporters, while the lower class would want Absolute monarchy and the upper class would want constitutional monarchy. Their choices seem awfully random.
    "Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shall thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end". -Tolkien

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Please elaborate. I'm not sure if I understood your post.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    Please elaborate. I'm not sure if I understood your post.
    Well, the middle class, or bourgeois, were the driving force behind republican reforms in many nations, such as France. USA is an interesting example, since the revolution there had broader support from all classes. In ETW, they support constitutional monarchy over republic.

The lower class, which would be the peasants during this period, were generally strongly monarchist, and looked to the king to protect them, be it from foreigners, or cruel nobles. This might not be true in all nations, but it was true under Louis XIV in France, for example. In ETW, lower class supports Republic even though its always historically the middle class that leads to that system.

The nobility, or upper class, would want constitutional Monarchy, where the nobility has much power but the king's power is checked. An example of this would be Great Britain. In ETW, upper class supports Absolute Monarchy, where the king is supreme over the nobility. That doesn't make much sense.

I'm sure one could argue against all my points, but ETW's system just seems kind of off.
    Last edited by DisruptorX; 04-02-2009 at 04:10.
    "Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shall thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end". -Tolkien

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Well, from an Absolute Monarchy, there are two classes that public order is grouped in. One is the middle class, who in a revolt causes a republic, and the Nobility, who will simply change the ruling family. The first one matches your (true) logic, and the second one also makes a certain amount of sense. I would think that nobles would rather have a friend on the throne then some random merchant.

As a republic, the game removes the nobility, since... they aren't supposed to matter anymore. From there, a lower class rebellion (I think) will change the the party in office. Presumably, the game assumes that they have gotten accustomed to a republic, and no longer hold feelings for the monarchy anymore. The middle class, however, will cause a Constitutional monarchy. Frankly, this does not make too much sense, but I would suppose they needed some way of getting a constitutional monarchy.

And as a Constitutional monarchy, the lower class group disappears, replaced by the middle classes, and the nobility brought back. The nobility will rebel to an absolute monarchy, but I don't really know what the middle classes rebel to.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Post Re: Revolutions?

The middle class would be jealous of the nobility's power and would seek a republic. CA's portrayal of all this is nice and all, but it could be better.

so ultimately, which is the best? CM,AM, or republic? what are the pros and cons of each?

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Aboslute: You can custom pick your ministers, fire as many as you want on a single turn, but clamour for reform gets bad quick
    Constituional: Ministers can be voted out, but stable head of state. Basically the median between the two
    Republic: Ministers and head of state can cycle. This can be good or bad. most free, but clamour for reform still affects.

In terms of benefits, absolute is probably the best until public order is hard to reign in, then a republic.

Each to his own.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

so when i start expanding really quick and get a lot of unhappy regions, i should switch to republic or constitutional monarchy?

I have so far played either as an absolute (Maratha) or constitutional (GB) monarchy. I prefer constitutional monarchy. Research goes at a decent pace, I can get rid of bad ministers, and most importantly, industrialization does not cause clamour for reform.

This last one allows me to upgrade all my territories to the max, with only a token garrison - if any.

I'm not sure what additional benefits a republic brings that would make it worth to have unsackable ministers.
    Last edited by anweRU; 04-02-2009 at 14:08.
    Ancestry: Turkish & Irish. Guess my favorite factions!

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

There are 2 other things to think about:

1. Attitude of other countries -they like you to have the same system of government as them, and dislike you to have another.

2. There is an effect on research rates according to government type: Absolute monarchy has a penalty to research, Constitutional Monarchy has no bonus or penalty and Republic has a bonus to reasearch.

All 3 govt types also have varying levels of clamour for reform: Absolute Monarchy the highest and Republic the lowest (although it still generates a little).

Gameplay wise, i think this is a nice aspect of the game -each system has it's advantages and disadvantages, and there are also ways within the game of counter-acting or exacerbating them.

In terms of when to have a revolution or not, assuming you start with a Monarchy or other -I'd stick with it as long as economicaly possible.

At the beginning of the game, I'd say that the stability offered by the cabinet of an absolute monarchy is most advantageous -as you can really milk your ministers for all their skills -and reap the rewards of the improvement of their skills. Industrialisation will be light, and discontent will be low: make hay while the sun shines -but build observatories wherever possible to improve your impeded research rate.

Once you have started industrialising and the proles start to complain you can drop taxes, build pleasure palaces and religious buildings and increase garrisons. Obviously, all 3 of these options entail economic penalties to your country either through less income, more troop upkeep or fewer wealth generating industrial towns.

If you find that you are doing all these and still having problems with desire for reform, you really don't have an option other than to support the revolution.

Naturally, you don't want to let it get that far though as by then, your economy will have the equivalent of a millstone round its neck and be quite sluggish.

From my experience with the Ottomans the time to change should be around the time you build a Modern university (or have progressed to that level of Emancipation tech -assuming comparable industrial development too). This building will also kindly contribute to the dicontent in your capital region and may help to tip the balance as and when you like to.

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anweRU View Post
    I have so far played either as an absolute (Maratha) or constitutional (GB) monarchy. I prefer constitutional monarchy. Research goes at a decent pace, I can get rid of bad ministers, and most importantly, industrialization does not cause clamour for reform.

This last one allows me to upgrade all my territories to the max, with only a token garrison - if any.

I'm not sure what additional benefits a republic brings that would make it worth to have unsackable ministers.
    Constitutional monarchy is a pain to get to from an absolute monarchy. You have to go via a republic and have another revolution -this time of the middle class.

Allow a minimum 4 turns for each revolution, that's 8 turns where you are pretty much unable to do anything internationaly.

plus, as I mentioned above, a republic has lower discontent and a +ve bonus to tech research.

I wouldn't pull off the Absolute-republic-constitutional move untill you are safe and your empire is stable and pre-eminant, which is ironicaly when you probably least need a revolution...

Shame though as constitutional clearly is the best of both worlds and most stable long & short term.

Another reason why GB have an advantage...