Thread: dont know what to do

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default dont know what to do

i need to send in my laptop to Dell for a week to get it repaired for a crack in the outer shell (the repair is free).

it will take a week-10 days for it to get there, get repaired, and sent back.

now, i have spring break in 16 days, for 10 days. i, along with my family, will be in NY.

should i send it in ASAP and get it back before spring break and not worry about it getting stolen, or send it in during break and have it for school, but run the risk of it getting snatched.

my instinct tells me to send it in ASAP and muscle through school without my laptop. i only use it to take notes in history class anyhow. it will also mean that my participation on these forums/gaming in general will greatly diminish.

so, what should i do?
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 03-23-2009 at 20:48.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Default Re: dont know what to do

I got a Dell too and sent it off for repairs - it was bloody useless, done by one of their contractors, took ages and came back in worse shape (more scratches, soem dents on the surface, repairs supposedly carried out but still not working as intended). Problem was that this was near the end of my warrranty period and I couldn't really complain because the warranty expired then.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

well my warranty expires in february of 2010, so i have time.
    factionheir, what was your problem with the laptop?
    mine is quite minor and just takes the replacement of the out shell.
    maybe yours was more complex?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 03-23-2009 at 17:12.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

You'll be fine without it for that time. Write shorthand and explore the outdoors, maybe you'll go on the internet less as a result?

*adds Dell to his list of useless laptops*

I got an HP and it's a gigantic pile of crap. Stupid thing is meant for 'entertainment' and it can't even work on fullscreen and it always de-syncs the audio and video.

*throws it at wall*
    Last edited by The Fuzz; 03-23-2009 at 21:42.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hooahguy View Post
    it will take a week-10 days for it to get there, get repaired, and sent back.
    Some people just can't appreciate excellent service, 10 bloody days! Dell ain't that bad, pretty damn good actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Some people just can't appreciate excellent service, 10 bloody days! Dell ain't that bad, pretty damn good actually.
    well the 10 day thing was only the words of the dell representative. god knows how long it will actually take.

so as of now i think i will wait until afer break to send it in. the box im supposed to put the laptop in to send to dell isnt coming until thursday anyway.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by The Fuzz View Post
    *adds Dell to his list of useless laptops*
    i wouldnt say that. ive had a wonderful experience with dell. my first laptop lasted me 5 years before i smashed it in a fundraiser for my school.
    and this one, which i got lat year, is an excellent gaming machine- it can play crysis and Assasins creed on medium an ETW on high.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I hate labtops. Most are too fragile and often can't beat the raw power of desktops.

This is a bit OT, but I used to think that you could basically play every game ever on the highest settings in supercomputers like the Earth Simulator, but apparently they wouldn't even be able to run Tetris.

i wouldnt say that. ive had a wonderful experience with dell. my first laptop lasted me 5 years before i smashed it in a fundraiser for my school.
    and this one, which i got lat year, is an excellent gaming machine- it can play crysis and Assasins creed on medium an ETW on high.
    Well, now I'm jealous. I got my current one on the erroneous assumption that because my then 3 year old (run of the mill) laptop could run M2TW on low, a new one with purportedly decent graphical capabilities would run it on high and perhaps ETW on low, not to mention RTW with max settings.

How wrong I was.

I curse thee, HP!

*shakes fist vigorously*

I'll looking more closely when I buy my next one, that's for sure. Stupid thing can barely run a word processor. So I have a great big farking 19in screen that is stupid and useless to bring to class on account of its size and it can't even run games.

/rant

Sorry, I get carried away...

Good luck with repairs!
    Last edited by The Fuzz; 03-24-2009 at 14:08.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

well my warranty expires in february of 2010, so i have time.
    factionheir, what was your problem with the laptop?
    mine is quite minor and just takes the replacement of the out shell.
    maybe yours was more complex?
    The problem with the weezing/high pitched noise buzz (you'll find it on several tech fora)
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

HP are bad, on one right now.

Old Dell's are bad, new ones, not so.

Was at a customers place today, dell came out and had fixed his server, but threw in a new power supply "Just in case"

Seems the ones that come to you (and are actually with dell) are good. Bloke I was working with today, his brother works for Dell tech support, and I guess they arent that bad.

I'll call them and get them to replace my keyboard. Not my fault that if I hit a key 40 000 times in a few months it stop responding all the time!

Note to self: attack-move does not work anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    I'll call them and get them to replace my keyboard. Not my fault that if I hit a key 40 000 times in a few months it stop responding all the time!

Note to self: attack-move does not work anymore.
    That's the only gripe I have with my Dell laptop, the keyboard and trackpad can be unresponsive on the odd occasion. Not enough to cripple it, but enough to be annoying every week or so.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Quote Originally Posted by The Fuzz View Post
    Well, now I'm jealous. I got my current one on the erroneous assumption that because my then 3 year old (run of the mill) laptop could run M2TW on low, a new one with purportedly decent graphical capabilities would run it on high and perhaps ETW on low, not to mention RTW with max settings.

How wrong I was.

I curse thee, HP!

*shakes fist vigorously*

I'll looking more closely when I buy my next one, that's for sure. Stupid thing can barely run a word processor. So I have a great big fucking 19in screen that is stupid and useless to bring to class on account of its size and it can't even run games.

/rant

Sorry, I get carried away...

Good luck with repairs!
    my specs are:
    XP
    nvidia geforce 8600M GT 512 mb
    2 gb RAM
    intel 2.00 ghz C2D processor.

all for $850 ($300 instant savings on dell.com when i got it)
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

I think my Dell laptop served me pretty well for a few years. It broke twice but once i kicked it off the bed the other time my mum yanked it by the power cord. So the only breaks were my fault (thank god for cover all insurance!) on the other hand when it came to fixing it... it was terrible...

First time my laptop was returned fairly quickly... just over a week i think it took.... second time i sent it away though they had it for about 3 months. Kept ringing up and there were various excuses... the engineer has it now it shouldn't be long... He has it now! he should have had it a month ago when i sent it off! the engineer is waiting on a part.... and so on and so forth...

Thankfully my contract stated that if they take over 2 months fixing it you can request a voucher of appropriate value in exchange... i was pissed off with waiting so i did... and got £500 for a £700 laptop i bought 2 years ago!

So in the end it worked out quite well... but it was damn annoying waiting for 3 months!!

Ohh and it wasn't Dell who were fixing it, either currys or dell subcontracted out the computer repairs to a company called the tech guys...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

well, i guess i cant send it in before spring break. yesterday the box which im supposed to put my laptop in to send to dell came. my little brother got to it. it now in shreds. idk how a 2.5 year old destroyed a box like that (1/3 inch cardboard), but whateber it is, im going to have to request for a new box.

anyhow, i guess im going to send it in after break.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

That is the problem with laptops...

We have two laptops (A Futzitsu Siemens and a Toshiba) and throughout their lives they have both experienced problems but also have traveled thousands on kilometers. One got replaced by my insurance following accidental damage (after a long email exchange where they tried to say it was wear and tear but fell into contradictions and I threatened to take it with the FSA) and the other had M/B problems.

If they were Desktops I would have had them repaired the next day. Instead, in both cases I had to wait 10+ days for someone else to do it.
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

well, sorry for the necropost.
    i sent it in right before i left for passover break, against my better judgment. well, they got it fixed fast. they got it at the repair center on 4/10. finished repairing it on 4/11. the idiots sent it back, even though i told them to wait until i got home. anyhow, they tried to deliver it to my house 3 times, every time i wasnt there. finally today i drove 20 miles to the Fedex center and picked it up. i got home and opening it up, expecting a damaged system. well, ill be darned. not only did they replace the bottom chassis and my system is working fine without a hitch, they added a webcam, free of charge.
    i love Dell.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 04-21-2009 at 12:03.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey..uuhhhh.brb checking my warranty. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.