Thread: How to win the Battle of Teutoburg Forest?

Default How to win the Battle of Teutoburg Forest?

I've been struggling with the Battle of Teutoburg Forest. It all fails when I'm almost at the city, and the Germanians swarm out and annihilate the remaining of my soldiers. What am I supposed to do if not fight them? Just run?

So, can anyone give advice on how to complete this admittedly funny and interesting battle?

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

Default Re: How to win the Battle of Teutoburg Forest?

The first few goes at it would obviously be hard, but I don't see how hard it can be after you get to know the German tactics.

On my first and second go I was utterly annihilated by the ambushing Germans. The key to this battle is to treat the separate German forces accordingly, and hit them back with their element of surprise since you already know when and where they will jump out at you. The first wave of attack should be easily dispatched since you have the bigger force, after that rest, regroup then march on in order. Keep a mind on the ambushing force and keep ready, you know when and where they will jump out and trying to hit, just make sure you get enough rest from each battle field and you'll be fine.

Shrouded in Mystery Member Barry's Avatar

I cannot stress how important keeping in order is, keep in good order and the Germanic waves will just bounce off you, and keep moving.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

What you could do is not to attack with pila. Or pilum. Attack with cavalry wisely, using them to not to charge frontfully, but attack in the flanks.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

I seperate my army in two: one will stay behind and hold of the germans when needed, the other just rushes to the camp, never stopping unless its needed. As aforementioned : keep MOVING. you cannot stop, even with your reserve army. It's a hard battle but sparta is harder.
    I'm saving Private Ryan...money on his car insurance

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

as was already stated KEEP MOVING if you stop you're eaten alive. I usually find it works to deploy my cavalry as a rear guard, and i use my expert units like the urban and praetorian as a vanguard. Then you'r regular legions just fend off the odd attack after the intial clash and you're best barbarian fighting units do the heavy lifting

Trick is to win the first engagement, then defeat the rest of the germans in a piecewise fashion. some keys to the battle .
    1. Chase down any routed units. They come back.
    2. Stick to the roads. If you try to go through the woods, THEY WILL FIND YOU
    3. use local numerical superiority
    4. route the German units whenever possible . They are stronger than your units and effective against armor but highly undisciplined.
    5. Use arrows and cavalry charges to slay the berzerkers.
    Check out my video on it! I actually managed to kill 1100 germans and lose only 300 romans! Took me 3 tries on very hard

also apparently i need 3 posts to post a video

so this is 3 anddddd