Thread: mortars: fixed versus mobile

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Default mortars: fixed versus mobile

just wondering: any benefit to switching to the fixed mortars (available later) from the mobile ones? any good tactics how the fixed ones should be used?

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Default Re: mortars: fixed versus mobile

Well, I think mortars were primarily used in siege warfare when you were close enough to the fort. Although they appear to be quite effective versus infantry as well, see the mortar spamming posts in the MP forum.

Well with 700 range you just put them towards the middle of the map in deployment and they can hit pretty much anything. The downside is you have to leave troops to guard them if you're going to move off with the rest of your army. They're pretty much made for sieges. Whether you're defender or attacker, if you don't have it and the other side does, you're at a severe disadvantage in siege.

Praeparet bellum Member Quillan's Avatar

Mortars have 750 range, and the accuracy of howitzers, which is far greater than that of rockets. I find the extra range to be a huge advantage in the campaign, and these days if I can build mortars I use them in preference to all other forms of artillery. It gets even better once you get to the end of the Ordnance tech tree and get percussion shells.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

... You put them in the center and they can hit absolutely everything meaningful.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009