Thread: No heavy cavalry for pontus, why?

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

Default No heavy cavalry for pontus, why?

Pontus is fun to play and very suitable both for roleplaying and also for blitzing.
    But as far as I know they were a persian origin dynasty. So in theory they should have heavy cavalry.
    In EDU they have only cappadokian medium cavalry and is piece of cake for armenian or parthian cataphracts.
    I have no idea wether it is designed like that intentionally by the team for historical accuracy or not enough unit cards with exes.

It is just a wish pontus is very popular. I like her but as she has no heavy cavalry mostly I stick with Parthians for that reason.

My Submods for EB
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill

Default Re: No heavy cavalry for pontus, why?

Pontus get access to Kinsmen Heavy Cavalry in Hayasdan, Sophene, Abdurbadegan, Media, Elymais, Persis, Parthava & Khoarene. They will do the work of heavy cavalry...
    Likstrandens ormar som spyr blod och etter, Ni som blint trampar Draugs harg
    På knä I Eljudne mottag död mans dom, Mot död och helsvite, ert öde och pinoplats

Marzbân-î Jundîshâpûr Member The Persian Cataphract's Avatar

The Pontic kingdom indeed gets heavy cavalry, and a roster of heavy horse which is quite comparable to the Seleucids, Macedonians and the Sarmatians, and includes chariots. Now, granted I would have wanted to see some kind of Lycian extra-heavy cavalry in there somewhere... But as it is right now, the Pontic have a roster leaning strongly between medium and heavy ranges.

"Fortunate is every man who in purity and truth recognizes valiance and prevents it from becoming bravado" - Âriôbarzanes of the Sûrên-Pahlavân

Atraphoenix,

To win the battles with Pontos in early game it is more than enough to have in each stack:

- One unit of Khuveshavagane Shanvar (general),
    - One unit of Katpatuka Asabara (though called "medium", they are very good and versatile unit, better than most of "medium cavalry" of their opponents),
    - One unit of Harmata Drepanephora (battle winners for Pontos, just use them in the right moment and right place).

In late game you can use Khuveshavagan from Hayasdan regions too.

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

Thanks
    maybe out of topic but I used hellenic offices for pontus in my mod. Did they use persian in the court or both greek, any idea?
    I know their dynasty was a persian origined one like Hayasdan.
    BTW I hope team will add offices for each factions in EB2 at least known ones mostly non nomadic or barbaric (in fact it is under debate who is barbaric) so I can play more than modding

My Submods for EB
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill