Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: favorite mercs

Default favorite mercs

self-explanatory.
    mine would be cretan archers and scythian horse archers, plus persian archer spearmen.
    oh and once you get enough money merc pezhetairoi are wonderful, they last forever.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Default Re: favorite mercs

WILD MEN AND GAESATAE!!!!!

Insane naked Celts are number one. And incredibly useful.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Post Re: favorite mercs

Oooh, oooh! I love this thread

In order:

Galatikoi Tindanotae
    Misthophoroi Phalangitai* (as a non-pike phalanx nation)
    Wargozes (the Germanic blokes with axes & wolf skins)
    Qala'im Balearim
    Toxotai Kretikoi
    EDIT: Iberi Scutari
    Thraikian Peltastai**

*They are actually available in a Regional MIC for all nations in Antiocheia and Alexandreia, but I never had the money to build that lvl 4/5 MIC. I also hire large quantities of Syrian, Scythian and Bosphoran Archers - BTW, I modded the Bosphoran armour and Syrian missile attack to make them more realistically stronger

**(also modded their stats to give them better armour, as it is reflected on them)
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 04-06-2009 at 06:33.

my favorite missle mercanies has to be the cretan archers, belaric slingers...
    couple of battles in gaul or iberia and they kill those nasty barbarians like flies getting zapped...

in the africa, nothings better than the numidian calvalry, theyre just so... good !

In greece... has to be the mercanary phalangitai or hoplite, i mean, you just cant resist good old hammer and anvil on those rebellious greeks

thrace...
    falxman (drugonitzasaijajs sumthing like that) 'nuff said

then from here to the far east baktria, its all phalangitai/local calvalry and infantry.

favorite 3 mercanaries are phalangitai / hoplite / cretan archers
    Epic Balloon for my Roma ->

Blog Entries

Numidian cavallery would be the most usefull one, but I always get them from regional mics.
    The mercenary I am using the most are the mistophoroi pezhetairoi. You can never have enough phalangitai, when facing factions with heavy cavallery
    But my favourite are the caledonian skirmishers, the Balroae. They are incredibly strong, esspecially in woods and they are cheap and spawn incredibly fast. Man I beat a full stack of casse, just with mercenaries and the Balroae did most of the damage.

Exclamation Re: favorite mercs

Quote Originally Posted by seienchin View Post
    Numidian cavallery would be the most usefull one, but I always get them from regional mics.
    The mercenary I am using the most are the mistophoroi pezhetairoi. You can never have enough phalangitai, when facing factions with heavy cavallery
    But my favourite are the caledonian skirmishers, the Balroae. They are incredibly strong, esspecially in woods and they are cheap and spawn incredibly fast. Man I beat a full stack of casse, just with mercenaries and the Balroae did most of the damage.
    I do not see all the hype over Numidians. They do not happen to use their spear overhand, do they? Because that basically kills the charge.

Also, the Phalangites' only weakness is heavy cavalry. In EB, infantry can almost never get through all the pikes and it will normally stay at the edge, getting slowly whittled. Only when presented with height advantage or gargantuan numbers can the normal infantry push through the pikes. Heavy cavalry (26+ armour) can easily push through the pikes and wreck havok on the phalanx. I have had a 35-man 1 experience Seleukid General's Bodyguard defeat a 120 man Merc Phalangitai. Even when two units manage to defeat the cavalry, they suffer horrendous casualties. The best thing against heavy cav are elite spearmen such as Triarii, etc.

Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Slingers also work well against Heavy cavalry, as does a cavalry charge of your own. Phalanxes don't work really, because you aren't going to get through all that armour with an unwieldy sarrisa and your own arm strength.

I don't like Numidians, because they're skin looks rather dirty... and because Tarantine elites are much better than them.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Post Re: favorite mercs

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    I don't like Numidians, because they're skin looks rather dirty... and because Tarantine elites are much better than them.
    Tarentines are even worse. Any cavalry that does not have spears/lances and does not couch them during a charge is crap. Because those that couch their spears/lances get the charge bonus and annihilate standing infantry. The sword and overhand spear cavalry does not really cause any charge casualties. As far as I care, they are merely fast infantry to me. No use. The only exception is HAs, but I still prefer the HAs with spears to the ones with long daggers.

Speaking of that, why do some low-end HAs have daggers? Those were clearly not used by cavalry, as they needed a sword with a reach, which is why the Roman cavalry used long Mainz-type gladius and the spatha. Vanilla RTW gave all missile cavalry (and all missile units for that matter) daggers, which was clearly inaccurate in the case of cavalry. EB fixed that, but not with some of the units.
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 04-06-2009 at 05:12.

Evidentally, you have no respect for skirmisher cavalry. I like Tarantines because they can still hold their own in close combat. I almost never use them against infantry, because they actually do suck at that, but they are able to hold their own against Carthaginian bodyguard cavalry. Really, they are there as a mobile anti-cavalry force, since javelins can pierce armour, and they can actually catch up to them.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Thumbs down Re: favorite mercs

Evidentally, you have no respect for skirmisher cavalry.
    Yeah, I really do not. Anything that does not have a spear/lance that can be couched is not on my recruitment list/queue. However, some skirmisher cavalry have lances/spears. Leuce Epos are one of them. Still, I do not hire them as Scythian Riders are brutally effective. Their arrows are long range and they have plenty of them.

I like Tarantines because they can still hold their own in close combat. I almost never use them against infantry, because they actually do suck at that, but they are able to hold their own against Carthaginian bodyguard cavalry. Really, they are there as a mobile anti-cavalry force, since javelins can pierce armour, and they can actually catch up to them.
    Meh, that is one way to sue them, but spear-armed infantry is better. General's bodyguards always do banzai charges. Stupid them. Just as useful as seppuku/harakiri. And not to mention the spear armed cavalry are more versatile.

I love me the Celtiberian Heavies. Then every other merc you can recruit in Iberia. They're all wonderful.

Now only if they had crazy naked men.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    I do not see all the hype over Numidians. They do not happen to use their spear overhand, do they? Because that basically kills the charge.
    They use the spears underhand a la Leuce Epos. They're really pretty effective in an all-Numidian army when skirmishers function as your line infantry. Their charge is good, if not spectacular.

My personal favorite mercenaries are the Dunaminaca, Curepos, Samnites, Tindanotae, Cretans, and Thraikioi Prodromoi. I've also got a soft spot for Callacae Roscathreira, as they will sustain absolutely appalling casualties before they rout.

The only mercenaries that seem truly crappy to me are the Hippeis and Hippakontistai. I can use even Lucanian spermen in a pinch, but these cavalry units are only useful for chasing routers and intercepting enemy cavalry charges. After all, why would I want my Bataroas/Hoplitai to get pulverized by enemy horsemen? Hippeis do an admirable job at taking beatings.
    From Fluvius Camillus for my Alexander screenshot

EB on ALX player Member ziegenpeter's Avatar

With Pics please!
    Solduros

Aorsi Nobles

"A wise man once said: Never buy a game full price!"
    - Another wise man

Blog Entries

Also, the Phalangites' only weakness is heavy cavalry. In EB, infantry can almost never get through all the pikes and it will normally stay at the edge, getting slowly whittled. Only when presented with height advantage or gargantuan numbers can the normal infantry push through the pikes. Heavy cavalry (26+ armour) can easily push through the pikes and wreck havok on the phalanx. I have had a 35-man 1 experience Seleukid General's Bodyguard defeat a 120 man Merc Phalangitai. Even when two units manage to defeat the cavalry, they suffer horrendous casualties. The best thing against heavy cav are elite spearmen such as Triarii, etc.
    ?????
    Have you ever fought against a big parthian army?? Everybody except for phalangitai get around 20 to 30 men casualties from the charge. The trick is to stop the charge with your phalangitai and when the enemy pushes through the sarissa you take of the phalanx formation and charge in with one supporting unit. Anyway you have to avoid the charge.
    And obviously you know nothing about numidians. Better give them a chance cause they kick asses.
    And A very super market, I know you prefer the use the heavy elite force strike method, but you should try and give the light troops in EB a chance. They are deadly if used the right way.

As Saka: Sauromatae Fat Aexsdzhytae and Persian Archer-Spearmen

As Sweboz: Worgozez and Skuda Baexdzhyntae

As Sab'yn: Garamantim and Misthophoroi Phalangitai

As Casse: Iberi Scutari and Balearic Slingers
    Last edited by Tollheit; 04-06-2009 at 19:22.

Quote Originally Posted by ziegenpeter View Post
    With Pics please!
    Solduros

Aorsi Nobles
    Solduros aren't mercenary's....

My great mercenary's are celto-hellenic hoplites... pretty decent unit to form part of your main line of the army
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Not Actually Greek... Member NickTheGreek's Avatar

Toxotai Kretikoi and Galatikoi Kluddolon - excellent archers and excellent cannon fodder, and so plentiful in asia minor and thrace.
    Balloons! - - A Very Super Market, - Tiberius Claudius Marcellus, - Machinor

I like medium phalanx and babylonian heavy spearman

Default AW: Re: favorite mercs

Misthophoroi Phalangitai* (as a non-pike phalanx nation)

*They are actually available in a Regional MIC for all nations in Antiocheia and Alexandreia, but I never had the money to build that lvl 4/5 MIC. I also hire large quantities of Syrian, Scythian and Bosphoran Archers - BTW, I modded the Bosphoran armour and Syrian missile attack to make them more realistically stronger
    Did you mod the Mistrophoroi Phalangitai in too? In vanilla EB no faction can recruit them from a MIC.

And my favorite mercs are these guys:

The best western archers you can get. Misthophoroi Toxotai Kretikoi!

It would be really nice if you could hire Sphendonetai Rhodioi as mercs too...

Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam
    Last edited by Zett; 04-06-2009 at 14:36.

Balloon Count: 4

My Greek Nobles:
    from satalexton, his name is Plato
    from satalexton, his name is Sōkrátēs
    from satalexton, his nam is Aristotélēs

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

My favourites are:

Worgozez (found no picture).

Misthophoroi Thraikioi Prodromoi - damn useful even for cavalry heavy factions.

Misthophoroi Thraikioi Peltastai (this one is the Eleutheroi skin though). Meet them on a wall and you'll regret it.

Daha Baexdzhyntae - yeah I can spell that word from my memory

Qala'im Balearim - the only slinger unit with an AP melee weapon!

Misthophoroi Toxotai Kretikoi - they have one point more body armour than factional Kretans. Dunno why, though.

Druxtiz Basterniska - wish the KH could recruit these...
    Last edited by athanaric; 04-06-2009 at 14:44.

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In every campaign I play I use mercenary phalanxes and Cretan archers. I did it in Vanilla and I am doing it now. Old habits die hard!
    Also, one of my favourites are Celto-Hellenic Hoplites - useful for almost everything and available almost everywhere!

Default AW: Re: favorite mercs

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Worgozez (found no picture).

My Greek Nobles:

EB on ALX player Member ziegenpeter's Avatar

Default Re: AW: Re: favorite mercs

Quote Originally Posted by Zett View Post

The best western archers you can get. Misthophoroi Toxotai Kretikoi!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zett View Post
    Definetly.

Anubis, are you shure about the solduros?

"A wise man once said: Never buy a game full price!"
    - Another wise man

Quote Originally Posted by ziegenpeter View Post
    Definetly.

Anubis, are you shure about the solduros?
    I don't know about him, but I am sure they aren't mercs.
    And I have my doubts about the Aorsi nobles too.

My fav mercs have already been named in this thread, though I only rely on mercs in emergencies.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Quote Originally Posted by Mediolanicus View Post
    And I have my doubts about the Aorsi nobles too.
    So do I.

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

Yancai (Alan) Nobles are mercenaries (that can also be retrained at a regional MIC). Aorsi Nobles are not.

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

Wink Re: AW: Re: favorite mercs

My fav mercs have already been named in this thread, though I only rely on mercs in emergencies.
    That is only natural. We have all posted the most popular, useful, and effective units already. But still, I find it interesting to see who likes what and how many like what. So please do post .

Someone should make a poll. I would do it, but it seems slightly redundant. What do you think guys?

Misthophoroi Thraikioi Peltastai
    Misthophoroi Toxotai Kretikoi
    Druxtiz Basterniska
    Misthophoroi Keltohellenikoi Hoplitai

and one that hasn't been named before I think: Misthophoroi Uazali

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Talking Re: AW: Re: favorite mercs

and one that hasn't been named before I think: Misthophoroi Uazali
    Yeah, those are pretty darn good warriors. With 100 men, 10 sword attack, and 19 defence and 3 javelins they are very good troops and cost only 1463 to recruit in a level 3 (?) Regional MIC.

Only soldiers of their type that are better are most likely the Iberi Caetrati with their AP 9 attack and 1 extra javelin with 1 point higher javelin attack. But they also have only a 2 defence shield and 18 overall defence. You decide But these are available in Iberia, heck of al long way from Asia Minor.

Default AW: Re: AW: Re: favorite mercs

Someone should make a poll. I would do it, but it seems slightly redundant. What do you think guys?
    Would be interesting. But do you want to add all mercs or only an assortment of the most popular ones?

My Greek Nobles:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast