Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coaching Youth Sports: How It Should Be Done.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Coaching Youth Sports: How It Should Be Done.

This yankee deserves a statue.

I expect that the ladies be put on a diet of fish, undercooked red meat and lots of veggies. No junk food. Protein shakes are encouraged, and while blood doping and HGH use is frowned upon, there is no testing policy. And at the risk of stating the obvious, blue slushies are for winners.
    Link

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Congratulations on being selected for Team 7 (forest green shirts) of the Scituate Soccer Club! My name is Michael and I have been fortunate enough to be selected to coach what I know will be a wonderful group of young ladies. Chris Mac will also be coaching and I expect the ever popular Terry to return to the sidelines. Our first game will be Saturday April 4 at 10:00AM. There will be a half hour of skills followed by a 1 hour game, so total time will be 1.5 hours. All games will be played on the fields in the front of the High School. Each player will be required to wear shin guards and cleats are recommended but not required. A ball will be provided to each player at the first meeting, and each player should bring the withoutball to games and practices. There is no set practice time allotted for the U8 teams, but I will convene with the coaches to determine the best time and place. If there are cancellations due to rain, all notices will be posted via the Scituate Soccer Club website, no calls will be made (though I will try to send an email). Attached is the Schedule and Code of Conduct. After listening to the head of the referees drone on for about 30 minutes on the dangers of jewelry (time which I will never get back), no player will be allowed to play with pierced ears, hairclips, etc. We used to tape the earings, but that practice is no longer acceptable. Please let me know if your child has any health issues that I need to be aware of. My home phone is 781 XXX XXXX, my cell number is 781 XXX XXXX, and I check my email frequently. According to my wife, my emails get too wordy, so for those of you read too slowly, are easily offended, or are too busy, you can stop here. For the others……

OK, here’s the real deal: Team 7 will be called Green Death. We will only acknowledge “Team 7” for scheduling and disciplinary purposes. Green Death has had a long and colorful history, and I fully expect every player and parent to be on board with the team. This is not a team, but a family (some say cult), that you belong to forever. We play fair at all times, but we play tough and physical soccer. We have some returning players who know the deal; for the others, I only expect 110% at every game and practice. We do not cater to superstars, but prefer the gritty determination of journeymen who bring their lunch pail to work every week, chase every ball and dig in corners like a Michael Vick pit bull. Unless there is an issue concerning the health of my players or inside info on the opposition, you probably don’t need to talk to me. Coach MacDonald has been designated “good guy” this year.

Some say soccer at this age is about fun and I completely agree. However, I believe winning is fun and losing is for losers. Ergo, we will strive for the “W” in each game. While we may not win every game (excuse me, I just got a little nauseated) I expect us to fight for every loose ball and play every shift as if it were the finals of the World Cup. While I spent a good Saturday morning listening to the legal liability BS, which included a 30 minute dissertation on how we need to baby the kids and especially the refs, I was disgusted. The kids will run, they will fall, get bumps, bruises and even bleed a little. Big deal, it’s good for them (but I do hope the other team is the one bleeding). If the refs can’t handle a little criticism, then they should turn in their whistle. The sooner they figure out how to make a decision and live with the consequences the better. My heckling of the refs is actually helping them develop as people. The political correctness police are not welcome on my sidelines. America’s youth is becoming fat, lazy and non-competitive because competition is viewed as “bad”. I argue that competition is good and is important to the evolution of our species and our survival in what has become an increasingly competitive global economy and dangerous world. Second place trophies are nothing to be proud of as they serve only as a reminder that you missed your goal; their only useful purpose is as an inspiration to do that next set of reps. Do you go to a job interview and not care about winning? Don’t animals eat what they kill (and yes, someone actually kills the meat we eat too – it isn’t grown in plastic wrap)? And speaking of meat, I expect that the ladies be put on a diet of fish, undercooked red meat and lots of veggies. No junk food. Protein shakes are encouraged, and while blood doping and HGH use is frowned upon, there is no testing policy. And at the risk of stating the obvious, blue slushies are for winners.

These are my views and not necessarily the views of the league (but they should be). I recognize that my school of thought may be an ideological shift from conventional norms. But it is imperative that we all fight the good fight, get involved now and resist the urge to become sweat-xedo-wearing yuppies who sit on the sidelines in their LL Bean chairs sipping mocha-latte-half-caf-chinos while discussing reality TV and home decorating with other feeble-minded folks. I want to hear cheering, I want to hear encouragement, I want to get the team pumped up at each and every game and know they are playing for something.

Lastly, we are all cognizant of the soft bigotry that expects women and especially little girls, to be dainty and submissive; I wholeheartedly reject such drivel. My overarching goal is develop ladies who are confident and fearless, who will stand up for their beliefs and challenge the status quo. Girls who will kick ass and take names on the field, off the field and throughout their lives. I want these girls to be winners in the game of life. Who’s with me?

Go Green Death!

--
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 04-01-2009 at 01:36.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Default Re: Coaching Youth Sports: How It Should Be Done.

I agree to an extent, but I think heckling refs shouldn't be done too much and kids shouldn't be run so hard that they get discouraged. They should still definitely be run hard though.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

bravo! tough coaching FTW!
    that guy sounds like my wrestling coach!
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Tribunus Plebis Member Gaius Scribonius Curio's Avatar

Awesome! My brother, who regularly characterises anyone without an aggressively victory focused mindset as 'weak' would be quite impressed.

Sidenote: Heckling refs depends on the situation. Ideally it shouldn't be done at all, but when you're playing indoor and the guy is clearly blind.....
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Yeah my brother and I had a nice verbal rant at the ref we had for our indoor soccer game on monday. My brother because he disallowed a goal he scored from 3m outside the circle you can't score from inside of....
    Me because I was pinged for nudging a guy three times my size (being serious I'm pretty small) into said box to get to the ball...
    First time I've ever seen a ref stand there and accept being called an ' ' five times in a row without any consequences.

And FTR that was my brother.
    Nihil nobis metuendum est, praeter metum ipsum. - Caesar
    We have not to fear anything, except fear itself.

Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte per umbram
    perque domos Ditis vacuas et inania regna:
    quale per incertam lunam sub luce maligna
    est iter in silvis, ubi caelum condidit umbra
    Iuppiter, et rebus nox abstulit atra colorem.
    - Vergil

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Of course he quit. Either that or get fired. Someone always gets offended.
    Last edited by Major Robert Dump; 04-01-2009 at 15:26.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

These girls are 6 and 7. No one finds this hilarious?

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    These girls are 6 and 7. No one finds this hilarious?
    The British youth system is currently criticised for its overemphasis on winning, as this encourages the production of athletes who stand out at youth level, but whose technical inadequacy is exposed at adult level once they're playing with grown ups. The continental system of small sided games on mini pitches and smaller footballs is supposed to be a better method of producing footballers, as each individual gets more playing and practice time, so that technique becomes second nature to them. The problem with producing athletes is that a big, strong and fast kid can overpower other kids through physique alone, and thus produce trophies at youth level, but once they play at adult level, where everyone's grown up, their physique no longer stands out, while their poor technique is ruthlessly exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The British youth system is currently criticised for its overemphasis on winning, as this encourages the production of athletes who stand out at youth level, but whose technical inadequacy is exposed at adult level once they're playing with grown ups. The continental system of small sided games on mini pitches and smaller footballs is supposed to be a better method of producing footballers, as each individual gets more playing and practice time, so that technique becomes second nature to them. The problem with producing athletes is that a big, strong and fast kid can overpower other kids through physique alone, and thus produce trophies at youth level, but once they play at adult level, where everyone's grown up, their physique no longer stands out, while their poor technique is ruthlessly exposed.
    These girls are 6 and 7 playing in the YMCA. It's a good laugh.

The american education system is slowly eliminating the concept of losers in "progressive" communities. At the local public school channel, where I worked while in college, the sports show we produced had to stop showing scores between city schools because it implied someone lost. If the loser was from another town, then okay. The station still has that policy.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    The american education system is slowly eliminating the concept of losers in "progressive" communities. At the local public school channel, where I worked while in college, the sports show we produced had to stop showing scores between city schools because it implied someone lost. If the loser was from another town, then okay. The station still has that policy.
    thats really up!
    my lord! forget girls gone wild- PC gone WILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 04-03-2021 at 00:48.

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Doesn't matter. USA still suck at football. Wouldn't be surprised if they lost to Lietchenstein.
    BLARGH!

Green Death could beat Lietchenstein

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    Doesn't matter. USA still suck at football. Wouldn't be surprised if they lost to Lietchenstein.
    So, how good are the professional and near professional atheletes in your country's 7th most popular sport?

Talent follows the money, and in the USA that means that soccer (football) comes in behind US Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Golf, and Tennis to name a few.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

We've won two world cups in soccer

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    So, how good are the professional and near professional atheletes in your country's 7th most popular sport?

Talent follows the money, and in the USA that means that soccer (football) comes in behind US Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Golf, and Tennis to name a few.
    Plus we're not terrible. I mean we're no Germany, Argentina, Brazil or England, but we're a ton better than most nations.
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Sounds like this jag-off needs other hobbies. I'm all for the expectancy to win and healthy competitions but jumping Jesus on a pogo stick, sonds like this d-bag probably was a total dork back in his youth and now he is living vicariously through these unfortunate young ladies that the gods have for some sick perversion placed a portion of thier lives into the hands of a Bobby Knight wannabe. Kids play to have fun and if you want them to love thier respective game, simply do everything that old Blood and Guts is doing here.
    RIP Tosa

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Actually, that was a pretty bad example to apply at least to my country. According to a census I've seen some years ago (Like 2004), our 6th or 7th most popular sports was hockey (Not ice hockey. Standard Hockey). Our National Team did win the World Cup in Hockey some years ago. In any case, football is where all the european sport's money is applied. Meaning, even if football became the most popular sport in USA, and attracted large sponsors, etc. It would meet limited success internationally, since while in other Sports, European National Teams are rather "Not Top Quality", due to its popularity, in football, the USA would be bashing against exactly what most people want to be in the European Sports. As a consequence, it couldn't overpower the Europeans as they do in a lot of other sports.
    BLARGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave View Post
    Sounds like this jag-off needs other hobbies. I'm all for the expectancy to win and healthy competitions but jumping Jesus on a pogo stick, sonds like this d-bag probably was a total dork back in his youth and now he is living vicariously through these unfortunate young ladies that the gods have for some sick perversion placed a portion of thier lives into the hands of a Bobby Knight wannabe. Kids play to have fun and if you want them to love thier respective game, simply do everything that old Blood and Guts is doing here.
    So you want the muslims to win?

This is good ol'faishon 'Merican competition. Win at all costs and rub the losers nose in your victory feces.
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 04-03-2009 at 04:20.

Actually, that was a pretty bad example to apply at least to my country. According to a census I've seen some years ago (Like 2004), our 6th or 7th most popular sports was hockey (Not ice hockey. Standard Hockey). Our National Team did win the World Cup in Hockey some years ago. In any case, football is where all the european sport's money is applied. Meaning, even if football became the most popular sport in USA, and attracted large sponsors, etc. It would meet limited success internationally, since while in other Sports, European National Teams are rather "Not Top Quality", due to its popularity, in football, the USA would be bashing against exactly what most people want to be in the European Sports. As a consequence, it couldn't overpower the Europeans as they do in a lot of other sports.
    Eh, I don't know if I buy that. As it stands we have enjoyed some international success, and if football became our number one sport, say just barely squeaking by American Football or whatever our top sport is, you'd have a nation of 300 million people who love football gearing their athletic endeavors towards success in football. With a couple of decades we could probably become a very powerful nation and contend international trophies at at least the same level as Europe and South America.
    C.S. Lewis

Jermaine Evans

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

If USA made football thier number 1 sport i think they would be one of the major footballing powers in no time at all... in '02 they got to the quarters with a fairly poor side....

Infact with thier huge population and huge wealth in a couple of decades they could be the best at football!

and this is why i constantly mock american sports, this way they cling to them and never get around too converting to football...

Sasaki... you have won two world cups in soccer...?

Ohh wait a second... this is womans football right ?

I have heard it quite popular among the woman in USA, is it top womans sport ?
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Coaching Youth Sports: How It Should Be Done.

About this coach - I agree with Dave. Youth Sports Coaches are even worse than youth sport parents.

The football debate:
    I would have a laugh over the US losing to tiny sized opponents, if only the Americans would take football completely seriously. As it is, there is no more point in laughing over it than laughing at Italy for losing rugby matches against tiny New Zealand or Ireland. One simply can't compare a national pasttime with a minority sport. I shall laugh when Italy loses or draws a football match against these countries. (Well done Ireland this week! )

When you look at it, for the amount of players and fans they have, Italian rugby is doing just fine. Similarly, association football in America is actually doing just fine. Their professional leagues and the national team are no worse than that of an average size European or South American country. The US team usually holds its own at a World Cup. They won't win it, but they play fine, decent football. They lack tactical maturity, but excell in a sporting mentality. The end result is a decent team.

The internet, television, modern communication means that every US player and fan is aware of international standards. Every US football lover knows who's Messi, or Kaka. They follow the Premiership on tv just as much as we do. The days of old when a US soccer audience could be seen applauding equally as enthusiastically as cluelessly for an irrelevant throw-in are, unfortunately, behind us.
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 04-03-2009 at 14:26.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Quote Originally Posted by Uesugi Kenshin View Post
    Eh, I don't know if I buy that. As it stands we have enjoyed some international success, and if football became our number one sport, say just barely squeaking by American Football or whatever our top sport is, you'd have a nation of 300 million people who love football gearing their athletic endeavors towards success in football. With a couple of decades we could probably become a very powerful nation and contend international trophies at at least the same level as Europe and South America.
    Exactly. It wouldn't overpower the other teams as they do in Basketball (I think?), for instance.
    BLARGH!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post
    If USA made football thier number 1 sport i think they would be one of the major footballing powers in no time at all... in '02 they got to the quarters with a fairly poor side....

Infact with thier huge population and huge wealth in a couple of decades they could be the best at football!

and this is why i constantly mock american sports, this way they cling to them and never get around too converting to football...

Sasaki... you have won two world cups in soccer...?

Ohh wait a second... this is womans football right ?

I have heard it quite popular among the woman in USA, is it top womans sport ?
    USA reached the quarters because our Keeper didn't manage to close his legs in the final minutes of our match against Korea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szfP...eature=related
    BLARGH!

If you're a kid and thinks that organized training is what will make you a prop footballer, here's a newsflash: you'll stink.

The only way to get really good, is to eat, sleep and breathe football. And the only way to do that, is if you actually enjoy it. Being pressured by some coach? Hah! If that's necessary, you've already failed.

When I was younger(until my legs got crippled from too much running, skiing and skating), I played football for some 3-5 hours per day on a weekday, and usually half the weekend. Usually with a mate or two, but often alone, practicing either shooting, long passes(I'm a pupil of the Drillo style of football) or technique.

This guy has lost his mind, he won't be able to coach a team to anything but failure. He's not just insane, he's also an extremely bad coach, on any level.

EDIT: for proof of this, take a look at the best footballers today. Take a look at their background, and take a look at how they became great. I can assure you that none of them were exposed to failures like this guy. Take Ronaldo, for example, a poor kid from a poor neighborhood, who spent all his spare time as a kid playing(with emphasis on play) football. Or Arjen Robben, who still plays football the same way he played as a kid in the playground. Or the dozens of Brazilians who grew up playing football in the streets. That's the way you get good. In football, pressure makes coal, not diamonds.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 04-03-2009 at 16:38.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    The only way to get really good, is to eat, sleep and breathe football. And the only way to do that, is if you actually enjoy it. Being pressured by some coach? Hah! If that's necessary, you've already failed.
    Ya now I have a natural dislike of people telling me what to do, but this coaching thing takes it a little further.

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    If you're a kid and thinks that organized training is what will make you a prop footballer, here's a newsflash: you'll stink.

When I was younger(until my legs got crippled from too much running, skiing and skating), I played football for some 3-5 hours per day on a weekday, and usually half the weekend. Usually with a mate or two, but often alone, practicing either shooting, long passes(I'm a pupil of the Drillo style of football) or technique.

This guy has lost his mind, he won't be able to coach a team to anything but failure. He's not just insane, he's also an extremely bad coach, on any level.

EDIT: for proof of this, take a look at the best footballers today. Take a look at their background, and take a look at how they became great. I can assure you that none of them were exposed to failures like this guy. Take Ronaldo, for example, a poor kid from a poor neighborhood, who spent all his spare time as a kid playing(with emphasis on play) football. Or Arjen Robben, who still plays football the same way he played as a kid in the playground. Or the dozens of Brazilians who grew up playing football in the streets. That's the way you get good. In football, pressure makes coal, not diamonds.
    My God, I agree with Horetore...
    RIP Tosa

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    I agree with Dave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave View Post
    My God, I agree with Horetore...

And me too: let little kids play. Twelve & up can compete.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

And we wonder why the Chinese are winning. Disgusting.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    And we wonder why the Chinese are winning. Disgusting.
    Some are, most aren't. If you want to dress up for a parade your call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast