Thread: Central Italy Quake

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Unhappy Central Italy Quake

Yesterday's earthquake in Italy also devastated the village of Castelnuovo, the community where my maternal great-grandfather emigrated from at the turn of the 20th century. According to a second cousin, the homestead is destroyed and several relatives have perished. Say a prayer for the poor people affected by this disaster the damage looks pretty bad.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Central Italy Quake

What a terrible tragedy. They have my thoughts.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

It is never easy :(

The toll is now 228 but the problem with quakes is that you do not really know for at least a week and the resque attempts have to be slow and careful.

All the best to our neighbours and may this never happen again.
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

But it will that's the thing about earthquakes. They always happen again.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Blog Entries

Thats the unfortunate thing about living in Mountainous places, or along Tectonic Plates. Earthquakes are one of those things we never really think about until after they happen. I remember as a kid we used to do earthquake drills almost once a week, and then it stopped for some reason. But there is still a very good chance of Major Earthquakes happening here, since we're only a stones throw away from the Yellowstone Supervolcano, which averages between 1000-3000 Earthquakes of a Magnitude 1.0-4.0.

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

A pity, it is noone's fault. It is the will of nature. My condolences to the famillies, and my sympathy for the Italians.
    BLARGH!

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Central Italy Quake

Very sad. Quite a high number of casualties.

Got to love Italy. It's cultural heritage is so large, that no matter where an earthquake or volcano strikes, it is sure to destroy some town, church or monument of imposing artistic and historical significance.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

My prayers are with the families of those who are suffering. For the Church to relax the funerals on Good Friday rule, it simply must be horrific there.

Bit of a catch-22 for the involved in urban/civic planning.

Italy is rich in history and people live in apartments that have been apartments for centuries. We just don't have that same sense of "history" here. But those buildings simply cannot have been built to withstand major earthquakes (save by luck) because our knowledge of how earthquakes work is so new.

On the other hand, I'm sure the cost of retrofitting all of the historic buildings etc. -- even where possible -- would be ruinous.

Being a cynic, I would guess that we'll see a committee which will file a report recommending significant improvements in x, y, and z but that funding and public interest will want before more than part of x is completed.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I really do feel for those who are affected by this. My best wishes are with them.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can't we just sticky a thread at the top for people that want to pass on their sincere and passing sympathies to another area of the globe who'se numbers have just taken a plunge, and who are overwrought at the papers highlighting this one disaster as opposed to all the others?

Truly they have my thoughts...

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill