Thread: Sassanid Clibinarii/Cataphracts

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Sassanid Clibinarii/Cataphracts

Can anyone stop these? I now realise that I don't need to build any unit type save these two. Since there are no phalanxes in BI, I don't think anything can stop these guys. The only real anti-cav units are those which have shiltroms, which tend to be poor units anyway and are easily taken out with the Clibinarii arrows. I'm currently battering through full stacks of Comitatenses/Eastern Archers, taking maybe 2% casualties each time. Can my armies be stopped?
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Default Re: Sassanid Clibinarii/Cataphracts

Well, yours definitely not. Your going against the AI with a pure Clibs/Cats army, which is simply not fair game. Against such an army, I'd use Commies with armour upgrade, Dromedarii, Cats of my own and armour-upgraded generals BG. And lots of eastern archers of course.
    Alternatively, 6+ units of carriage ballistae should be very useful too.
    Last edited by I of the Storm; 04-08-2009 at 10:14.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

My last campaign was a brutal fight for survival as the WRE, so I'm just enjoying being stinking rich and plowing through the ERE lands.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm surprised that someone besides me still plays RTW and RTW:BI!!

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    Can my armies ever be stopped?
    No

Seriously Rhyfelwyr, this is just cruel.
    Last edited by Quintus.JC; 04-08-2009 at 19:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus.JC View Post
    No

Seriously Rhyfelwyr, this is just cruel.
    I take it back. My Clibinarii were routed by Mountain Men. That's right, Mountain Men!

5 units of Clibinarii charging IIRC 6 units of Mountain Men. To be fair, the enemy had spawned in a riot in the Nabataean town and had 3 exp + silver weapons + golden armour upgrades, but even still. Mountain Men.

The Clibinarii were actually winning the melee, but they seem to have rubbish morale.
    Last edited by Rhyfelwyr; 04-08-2009 at 23:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    Can anyone stop these? I now realise that I don't need to build any unit type save these two. Since there are no phalanxes in BI, I don't think anything can stop these guys. The only real anti-cav units are those which have shiltroms, which tend to be poor units anyway and are easily taken out with the Clibinarii arrows. I'm currently battering through full stacks of Comitatenses/Eastern Archers, taking maybe 2% casualties each time. Can my armies be stopped?
    Congratulations, you have discovered the central tenant of RTW strategy: build nothing but heavy cavalry and charge. Only a headlong charge into phalanx can kill such a unit.
    "Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shall thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end". -Tolkien