Thread: Typical dumb newbie stuff

Just got through the Tutorials and read 'Way of the Daimyo' so these questions are pretty basic:

In the Way of the Daimyo it mentions having Medical Facilities to restore fatigue,heal wounds etc. I can't find any reference to what these are in the manual - do they exist? Can you build them?

Palaces - do you start the game with one of these in your home province or do you have to build it. Again, it does not appear on the Tech Tree so I wonder if they actually exist.

How do you stop missile units expending all their Ammo? Do you turn off the Fire at Will order, or do you have to issue movement orders to get them to stop firing?

The only way I can get the game to run was to turn off Hardware Acceleration (NVIDIA, I hate you!), no big deal, because the game looks great any way, problem is, now I cant get the camera view to scroll using the mouse, and its really tricky using the arrows to get exactly the right view. Has anybody else experienced this and is thee a way round it?

thanks

Senior Member Senior Member Krasturak's Avatar

Hi Hi Hi, Geordie ...

1) The medical facilities thing isnt there. They took it out. They left it in some of the text.

2) Palaces are something you can build ... you need a large castle for the first sized palace.

3) Missile units will keep firing at anything in range when:
    a) they are not marching
    b) they have 'fire at will' on
    c) the target is not blocked
    To get them to stop shooting, turn off 'fire at will'.
    Then you must tell them to target by selecting the archers and clicking on the target you want .. they will keep firing at them and will pursue them if they move, until you tell them to do something else.

4) There are lots of problems with the NVIDIA card. Try going to the tech discussion area for help with this.

1. No medical facilites exist in this game.

2. If you want a palace , you must build it (you need a castle first) unless you conquer a provine with one already built by an AI clan. Each Palace upgrades gives a +1 morale to troops trained in that province.

3. You turn off the fire at will

4. Did not experience this problem.

4. found this posted on the home page here (look for may 19th). For Nvidia cards users there is some great news on the horizon as well: A patch for Nvidia drivers will be released soon for the joy of the many ill-fated users.

KRASTURAK is so nice when he isn't in a drunken stupor, but then again, he is much funnier when he is.

Senior Member Senior Member Krasturak's Avatar

Bear making too much noise in back of dojo?

Krast offers simple solution ...

Cut head off bear, noise stops.

Now now, children...

As for the questions, a clarification on the archers: they have two firing modes. One is the independent mode, in which they fire at any target in range, but will not move themselves; this happens when "Fire at Will" is on. If you specifically tell the archers to attack an enemy unit, they will move to keep in range, and the only way to make them stop is to issue other orders. The handiest way is to use the "Stop" command (default hot key: Backspace).

As for your technical problem, plese post a full account of what happens when you try to run the game with hardware acceleration on in the Tech Support and Questions forum, or look through its topics for clues. It is likely that you will gain a significant improvement in both performance and graphics quality if you get that problem of yours sorted out, and it may even be that the fix required is very minor.

In any case, the best of luck to you in your struggle to become Shôgun!

------------------
    "No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand. The Centauri learned this lesson once. We will teach it to them again. Though it take a thousand years, we will be free."
    - G'Kar in Babylon 5:"The Long, Twilight Struggle"
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Krasturak is back to his alcoolic self i see.

The problem with cutting my head is that you have to find it. i'm not really sure of its exact location. THINK, THINK, THINK. Maybe Christopher Robin can help me....Silly old bear.

yes there is one good way to avoid problems, and that would be NOT to use nvidia cards... but then- how many times do i have to say that ???

Senior Member Senior Member NinjaKilla's Avatar

I've got an NVidia card. Shogun runs fine with the origin drivers, but not with the updates. Even more fustrating is that the original drivers do not seem to be compatible with DirectX8a!

Fustrating. I'll have a word... teach em no to make the same mistake again! ;-)

Doublepost deleted.

NinjaKilla-san, it's probable that you have been using the latest "official" drivers, not the very latest drivers. Get version 10.80, 11.01 or 12.00 from Erado San's Tech Dojo.

------------------
    "5. Makoto: utter sincerity; truthfulness."
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

i think i will never buy a nvida card, dam my spelling