Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Update at the Com

Default Re: The Daily Update at the Com

Unit recruitment costs are being increased to make losing a full stack mean more instead of just being a couple of turns worth of that losts full stacks upkeep cost.
    Last edited by Jack Lusted; 04-11-2009 at 01:23.
    Unit Design Lead

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Oh while you are here will any other European factions than Portugal/Netherlands make it to India like the nice lady in the faction intros said? And please, I bought the game because of your AAR and haven't played it for 2 weeks now because of the naval invasion bummer I require a real answer, its either coded or its not

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    Unit recruitment costs are being increased to make losing a full stack mean more instead of just being a couple of turns worth of that losts full stacks upkeep cost.
    That of course presumes that the AI will be clever enough to defeat a full stack of mine,
    and New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerH View Post
    I think this is very good news. Jack Lusted deserves a lot of respect for his work on previous games and the fact that he is taking the time to make such a statement suggests that it may reach a point where I'll allow myself to play it.
    According to the credits, he's listed as a designer. So, he'd be a good person to question about gameplay-related issues.
    Forums are good for sharing questions, wikis are good for sharing answers:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Check out the Online ETW Data in the Totalwar.org wiki.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Thanks, Jack.

I understand what you're trying to do but I rather see the AI actually capable of defeating a stack. This solution seems just kinda like a bandage since it doesn't make the experience anymore fun, just somewhat frustrating when the AI hits you with ridiculous amount of troops that you can't afford but it can just throw away. We've seen mods where this happens(Grey Death from EB for example) and it just gets old after a while.

Not saying upkeep shouldn't be tweeked because raising armies is fairly easy but I rather still ahve that great AI you guys promised.

PS. They should be paying you for PR :)
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

We're not changing the costs because of the AI, we are changing them so that it makes losing a full stack have more of an impact.
    Unit Design Lead

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Cellular Microbiologist Member SpencerH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
    According to the credits, he's listed as a designer. So, he'd be a good person to question about gameplay-related issues.
    I'm well aware of who Jack Lusted is (online). I'm not interested in gameplay issues per se. I'm interested in determining whether I will ever buy this or any future TW game. To that end, I'm interested in reading comments on the current version and (hopefully) its evolution from a beta version to a game I will play. While any rational comment is useful, those written by people who's opinions I've come to respect on these issues over the years are more valuable to me. After my frustration with CA over the years, I do not attribute any special status to comments on TW games made by those who work for CA. In fact, I'm more likely to view their comments with more skepticism than the average post. Jack Lusted, OTOH, is in a special position IMO since he is a player, a modder, and is now an EA insider and I have no reason to believe what he says is corporate "doublespeak".
    Last edited by SpencerH; 04-13-2009 at 00:33. Reason: Fixed my "senoir moment" see below
    E Tenebris Lux
    Just one old soldiers opinion.
    We need MP games without the oversimplifications required for 'good' AI.

We're not changing the costs because of the AI, we are changing them so that it makes losing a full stack have more of an impact.
    The only ones whoever lose a full stack in my games (aside from fighting against the Cherokee, darn OP AmeriIndians) is the computer . . . I have never lost a full stack against the Euros or Asians in ETW. I imagine it is the same for most players.
    Last edited by NimitsTexan; 04-12-2009 at 17:21.
    "I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein, and when the President made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." Senator John Kerry, May 4, 2003

"It's the wrong war, in the wrong place at the wrong time." Senator John Kerry, 7 September, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by NimitsTexan View Post
    The only ones whoever lose a full stack in my games (aside from fighting against the Cherokee, darn OP AmeriIndians) is the computer . . . I have never lost a full stack against the Euros or Asians in ETW. I imagine it is the same for most players.
    Seconded. Only defeats came from the Inuit and the Cherokee.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nafod View Post

Lucky you!

When I played as UP I lost two stacks against a bit more than a stack of Prussians. I don’t know if they were just teched up higher than me or what but it was more like superman vs. the homeless. And believe me there didn’t need to be more penalties on top of that one. It was more than bad enough!

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Post Re: The Daily Update at the Com

Quote Originally Posted by nafod View Post
    I suppose they wouldn't be so difficult if all the minor factions were balanced (such as Georgia not being able to recruit multiple stacks), and if the Native American units weren't so inexpensive to recruit.

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerH View Post
    I'm well aware of who Jack Lusted is (online). I'm not interested in gameplay issues per se. I'm interested in determining whether I will ever buy this or any future TW game. To that end, I'm interested in reading comments on the current version and (hopefully) its evolution from a beta version to a game I will play. While any rational comment is useful, those written by people who's opinions I've come to respect on these issues over the years are more valuable to me. After my frustration with EA over the years, I do not attribute any special status to comments on TW games made by those who work for EA. In fact, I'm more likely to view their comments with more skepticism than the average post. Jack Lusted, OTOH, is in a special position IMO since he is a player, a modder, and is now an EA insider and I have no reason to believe what he says is corporate "doublespeak".
    Don't you mean Sega? Shogun was the only Total War game published by EA. Medieval was was published by Activision and then from Rome and on, it has been Sega. The CA development company was actually purchased by Sega, so I doubt there will be any more changes of publisher in the near future.

Cheers
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Post Re: The Daily Update at the Com

Quote Originally Posted by Forward Observer View Post
    Don't you mean Sega? Shogun was the only Total War game published by EA. Medieval was was published by Activision and then from Rome and on, it has been Sega. The CA development company was actually purchased by Sega, so I doubt there will be any more changes of publisher in the near future.

Cheers
    Rome was activision. Don't know about its expansion packs, though.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

I'm pretty sure SEGA took over just before Barbarian Invasion.

anyways (yes it was just before BI) i like the way Jack Lusted side stepped this question

Cellular Microbiologist Member SpencerH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Forward Observer View Post

Cheers

Sorry, by EA I meant CA. :Bangs head numerous times:
    E Tenebris Lux
    Just one old soldiers opinion.
    We need MP games without the oversimplifications required for 'good' AI.

The dude sounds tired.

They're obviously doing their best to get it straightened up.

On a side note: "planning to support ETW for a long time" this could either be a good or a bad thing.
    But will no doubt swallow some profits, so let’s just look at it as kind.
    Last edited by Upxl; 04-13-2009 at 00:26.
    I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    Rome was activision. Don't know about its expansion packs, though.
    You are correct. When I was typing, I grabbed the Barbarian Expansion Box and saw SEGA on it, and just assumed Rome was the same without first checking.

Cheers
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

IIRC, Activision was Rome. Sega was BI.

*oops didn't reasd that last post*
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Quote Originally Posted by Smellycat View Post
    anyways (yes it was just before BI) i like the way Jack Lusted side stepped this question
    you...you do know hes not on this thread right? that was a letter in the .com. geeze some people are so ignorant
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John-117 View Post
    geeze some people are so ignorant
    And others are so rude.

Quote Originally Posted by John-117 View Post
    you...you do know hes not on this thread right? that was a letter in the .com. geeze some people are so ignorant
    He posted in this thread 3 times and i posted my question 5 minutes after his first post so he is "on" this thread unless his little brother took his log in details and trolled us

No offense, Smelly, but you might trying being a little more diplomatic. "Requiring" an answer is a bit presumptious, don't you think?

Anyway, it is generally standard policy not to post details about things like that, at least until after they believe they have everything fixed. I am surprised (and pleased) that Lusted has shared even the little details he has.
    "I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein, and when the President made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." Senator John Kerry, May 4, 2003

"It's the wrong war, in the wrong place at the wrong time." Senator John Kerry, 7 September, 2004

Yeah but problem is a person like Lusted who is a really experienced modder would notice the lack of naval invasions within 2 hours of playing the game and re-reading his AAR now seems like it was a science fiction novel

Quote Originally Posted by Smellycat View Post
    Yeah but problem is a person like Lusted who is a really experienced modder would notice the lack of naval invasions within 2 hours of playing the game and re-reading his AAR now seems like it was a science fiction novel
    Actually his AAR doesn't list anything innaccurately. Of course after playing it it doesn't describe much at all.

Has there been any word on when the next patch may come out?

I've stopped playing until the rest of the CTD bugs are gone. Just too tired of starting up a new campaign and then randomly (to me) hitting a CTD wall in the cycle of AI turns, or when I try to embark/disembark a units. Those crashes are rarer since the last patch, but they still occur every so often. I haven't been able to complete a campaign yet. But I really like the game, when I am able to play it, so I eagerly look forward to the extermination of the remaining bugs causing this kind of CTD.
    Fac et Spera

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

Today at the com by Jack Lusted

April 14th

Todays update will be some progress news on the next patch.

The Beta Test Group

As many of you will be aware a short while ago we asked for members of the community to apply to a beta group we were setting up in order to help test and provide feedback for future updates. We now have a good sized beta test group testing the latest version of the next patch. This is the third version of the patch they have tested, and soon they will testing the next version of it. They have been providing very good and detailed info for us, and patch progress is good.

The next patch is almost where we want it to be for release. After the next patch is released we will continue a cycle of bigger gameplay patches that will of course include more than just gameplay changes.

A short update today, but I know a lot of you are wondering about the next patch and I hope this gives you an idea where we currently are with it, and how the patching cycle will continue.
    Tosa Inu

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Good update.

We could all bitch about why CA didn't go the Beta Test Group route with the first patches. But that would be pointless. They are doing it now - and the patch will be on version #4 soon. Without this group we probably would have had to suffer with a buggy version #2.
    "Après moi le déluge"

and ther best part is they don't have to pay them anything

Way to make a positive into a negative!

If you really want to go down that road, CA have to pay the people who are looking after the feedback from the Beta group etc.

But that would be silly, and a waste of everyone's time right?

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast