Thread: So is anyone else hanging around playing "wait and see"?

Cellular Microbiologist Member SpencerH's Avatar

Default So is anyone else hanging around playing "wait and see"?

After RTW and the debacle of M2TW I swore I wouldnt buy ETW on release. Although it was tough (I almost pushed the "buy now" button at Amazon) I've held true to my promise. I'm now over the release excitement and I can wait for a completed version that I'm willing to buy. Of course, I still lurk here to read the comments, most of which indicate that I would've been infuriated by the game "as is" but that there is a lot of promise for the future.

Anyone else playing "wait and see"? Any guesses on when you think it'll be ready?

I'm thinking 6 mo to a year. Maybe I'll buy a "gold version" sometime in the distant future.
    E Tenebris Lux
    Just one old soldiers opinion.
    We need MP games without the oversimplifications required for 'good' AI.

Default Re: So is anyone else hanging around playing "wait and see"?

i am waiting ans seeing too... too bad i bought the game already

Not sure how much my opinion's worth to you (it's just one opinion after all), but even with the issues, I believe it's still the best TW game ever.

Before this, MTW:VI was still the best of the series to me because the "improvements" made in RTW and M2TW were outweighed by the new irritants they introduced. But ETW introduces so many new things that excellently address all of my outstanding complaints about the series. Again, just my opinion, but I feel that every new thing CA put in ETW is good. There is no new change that drives me up the wall. And the issues ETW has are no different from issues that plague every other game on release, especially given the size and complexity of ETW. I mean, if a console game like Gears2 has bugs that are still not fixed this long after release, I'm not surprised at all that an RTS+RTT for the PC has them this close to release.

If you can wait, there're no harm in waiting more until maybe all the bugs are gone and modders have made some awesome AI improvements. For my part though, ETW has restored my faith in CA, even with the current roster of issues.
    Fac et Spera

For me I bought it on the day of release and despite the bugs I am still enjoying the game. I'm glad I bought it when I did and I think that it's the most fun i've had playing a strategy game for ages.

The game has even given me a few of those OMG moments when you find that you are being out fought by the AI. (it doesn't happen all the time but it does happen ) - Great

If you wait till it goes 'Gold' you will be missing out on months of fun (maybe with a little frustration) but I think its worth it.
    May the Foss be with you....

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Here's another one who's been waiting since MTW.
    The battles have always been the reason I played this game (and still play). The careful positioning, the anticipating of certain tactics, the management of fatigue and morale, ... The extend of realism in the tactics and concerns while commanding made the game very immersive and satisfying.

I've been living towards every new release of the series in order to 'update' my most beloved game but everytime I was put off by the comments of early buyers. The series seems to have taken a new path. A path where you try to triumph over a game rather than an opposing factionleader/ commander. Some one said it very approtiate as "M2TW is to MTW what a Disney flick is to a documentary".

I'm again, naïvly so perhaps, exited about the new TW game. The time period and some of the new features (naval battles especially) have really made me crave ETW. BUT as long as CA can't give me a game that poses a FAIR (not making up for stupid AI by giving it bonusses) challenge, I'll be playing MTW:VI for many years to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Cellular Microbiologist Member SpencerH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill View Post
    Here's another one who's been waiting since MTW.
    .................... I'll be playing MTW:VI for many years to come.

Bit of a threadjack, but are you playing VI on an older or newer machine? If newer, how big of a pain was the installation? I recall reading that one had to tinker with the video drivers etc and that put me off.
    E Tenebris Lux
    Just one old soldiers opinion.
    We need MP games without the oversimplifications required for 'good' AI.

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Windows vista home edition
    Pentium dual core
    2.25 GB virtual memory
    GeForce 7500 LE

I had little trouble installing the game or the add-on. Only installing some mods proved impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

BLEEEE! Senior Member Daveybaby's Avatar

I was playing wait and see... and then gave in and bought it last week cos STEAM was selling it at £10 off.

Was already aware of most of the issues, and because of that i was mentally prepared when i bought it and as a result havent found it quite so frustrating as many other people seem to have.

Really enjoying it so far - IMO once the problems get solved it will be the best TW game to date.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smellycat View Post
    i am waiting ans seeing too... too bad i bought the game already
    me too.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

VictorGB Member Trapped in Samsara's Avatar

Hi

I'm waiting until, for example, AI naval invasions work/happen. Indeed, as someone who finds the strategy aspect the most enjoyable, the lack of AI NIs strikes me as a game-breaker for a simulation of colonisation/imperial expansion in the 18th century.

I also have deep misgivings about Steam.

Regards
    Victor

Empire is absolutely amazing, despite the fact it has bugs coming out the wazoo. I'm glad i bought it release day.

I can only imagine how much more amazing it will be when the bugs are all fixed and we have the pleasure of playing a fully patched and smoothly working version.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

I'm in the same boat, Spencer. A couple big patches and mods down the line, ETW should be quite the game. I think I'll hold off, for now.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerH View Post
    I still lurk here to read the comments, most of which indicate that I would've been infuriated by the game "as is" but that there is a lot of promise for the future.
    Depends on your pain threshold, I guess. And how much spare time you have (for the re-starts after CTDs)

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerH View Post
    I'm thinking 6 mo to a year. Maybe I'll buy a "gold version" sometime in the distant future.
    Maybe. Or maybe the day after Hell freezes over It'll never be perfect -- you'll have to decide when they've eliminated enough of the "big" bugs to suit you.
    Forums are good for sharing questions, wikis are good for sharing answers:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Check out the Online ETW Data in the Totalwar.org wiki.

The game has a love-hate feeling about it IMO. It has some new cool features but its also plagued by some bugs. No game is totally game free but what really gets me angry about CA is that in every single game they make and release they release it with extremely obvious bugs that even a 5 year old kid would see after a couple of minutes. It tells me CA is extremely lazy about QA. That really irks me about them as a game company. I guess they'll never change. A shame too.

Waiting a while will let those on the sidelines get a more finished game, assuming the bugs get fixed, and most likely get it at a cheaper price. I dont really believe CA will fix too many things in this game if we go by their past performance. Yes, they do some patches but they dont stick with it as long as they like to say in their press releases. Its the modders that take their games and turn them into something wonderful and fun more than anyone else IMO.

This is just my own opinions though based on what I have seen and experienced over the years. I'm both a fan and a critic of the series.