Thread: start game tip for American territories: indian axemen as garrison troops

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Default start game tip for American territories: indian axemen as garrison troops

I noticed these buggers are about half the upkeep of regular militia units and the same size so they're great for garrisoning/peacekeeping in newly conquered provinces and guarding ports cheaply. The trick is: they are available only from the lowest levels of government/repression structures in Americas.

So, here comes the tip: train as many as you can while your government type buildings in Americas are being upgraded.

Default Re: start game tip for American territories: indian axemen as garrison troops

I have never been able to build them, who are you playing as?

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Default Re: start game tip for American territories: indian axemen as garrison troops

Quote Originally Posted by a-e View Post
    I have never been able to build them, who are you playing as?
    I am playing as French.

In my French game I had such a great justice minister that I didn't need any garrison troops in the Americas whatsoever. The repression/town watch did a good enough job for cheap. If I do need garrison troops, I would build colonial dragoons instead. It also helps to bring your starting missionary in France to the Americas.

I never needed to guard ports although it was probably because I traded Martinique off. The next turn after I traded it, Pirates raided their port.