Thread: Anyone had a silly high K/D ratio yet?

Default Anyone had a silly high K/D ratio yet?

I was just fighting a battle as Prussia against Sweden. They were attacking, i was fortified up in the town. I used cover and stakes to stop them easily making their way down the streets leading in to a central courtyard. Behind each set of cover i had a unit of Line inf and a unit of Grenadiers. My artillery were positioned on the outskirts of the town, backed in to corners between houses and surrounded by sandbags.

Now, this was a battle i had zero chance of winning. They had 2500 men, i had 800. I lost, my whole force was destroyed. However, what was incredible was these two little Grenadier units. It was just them and my general left, about 130 men total. I lined them up behind cover on the last street in to the courtyard and waited for the enemy to make their attack. For 10 minutes they held that street, killing 500 men each! The generals bodyguard picked up a very respectable 150 kills too! Basically Sweden had such vast numbers of troops left that they were literally crammed in to this street, wall-to-wall Line Infantry. Each round of grenades killed dozens, each cavalry charge another handful. My barricades slowed them down so much that they just couldn't get close enough to my men to melee (which i believe is what they were trying to do). They were dropping like flies!

Quite an incredible sight to see really. Inevitably they eventually managed to kill off my cavalry (each charge cost me at least one man) and then the Grenadiers (who were getting shot at constantly by enemy units further back). The end score? Roughly 2100 kills to me, 800 to them If i'd had another unit or two they'd have been finished!

Other commendable mentions go my three artillery units, who sent a good 400 Scandinavians home in wooden boxes

So, yeah um 10-1 (by the unit). Anyone beat that? I think i'm gonna try and force similar circumstances again to see if i can get higher If i'd acted a bit quicker i might have got another couple of hundred, maybe even have turned the tide of battle in my favour.
    Last edited by satchef1; 04-08-2009 at 21:47.

Default Re: Anyone had a silly high K/D ratio yet?

On huge unit settings playing as France and xping off of small random groupings of bavarians who constantly try to guard a bridge every turn too far from reinforcement support.

6 160 man Line Inf vs my a large balanced army (7 Line Inf 2 Couer 2 Grens 4 Arty 4 horse Gen). I ringed the enemy who were all cowering behind a seemingly safe stone fence. Knowing from prior experience if i shell them that they'll charge (which i didnt want them to do since that'll inflict SOME casaulties) i kept tightening the noose with my inf who i wanted to xp up. The AI troops i guess was confused or simply scared stiff and i proceeded to shoot em in the back as their troops refused to about face since i had troops facing their front, but just out of combat range. I probably killed about half of em before their rear rankers decided to return fire, but it was sporadic and killed very few since i was mowing em down with Fire by Rank. THEN the survivors all jumped the fence to gain protection against the incoming fire which sadly only brought them into the sights of my waiting inf on the other side who were pinning them down. After a coupla volleys their nerve FINALLY broke (down to like 50-70 each before routing) and i got a few more free shots. Once they ran out of the kill zone i had my heavy cav ride em down for a complete sweep.

I lost about 40 inf to enemy fire and another 25 cav due to chasing down routers (quite amazing how they just mysteriously die). So if we only count troops who died to enemy fire that'd be 960 to 40 for a cool 24 - 1 kill ratio or 12.8 - 1 if you count the dead horse.

It was a battle against Sweden over Stockholm. I'd snuck my veteran army over the Baltic in a bunch of light Galleys. I took the city with some trouble... well, not really - they came out after me, so technically, I wiped out the bulk of their army in a huge defensive battle and took the city itself with minimal fuss. But my forces were badly depleted by the intense fight prior to its capture.

Immediately, the Swedes sent their sole remaining intact army against me - a full stack of line and provincial infantry, backed by two 12pdr batteries. I had 6 depleted line (all about 50% strength), 1 depleted cavalry - my general (60% strength), and a 12pdr battery. I initially had 2 depleted Uhlans as well (30% strength), but I expended them in a suicidal effort to delay the Swedes long enough for me to sneak some meagre reinforcements into the city (2 line).

So when the swedes finally hit me, with a full stack of perhaps 8 Line, 10 Militia and 2 12 Pdrs, I had 8 Line (6 at 50% strength, 2 full), 1 12 pdr and my General's cavalry. Somewhat miraculously, I had the option to deploy defenses against them - don't ask me what I did to manage that because I don't know. So I deployed revetments for my infantry inside the fort itself. I then garrisoned the three buildings in the square - the large command HQ which could fit two of my depleted veteran companies and one company in each of the other buildings, two line (one full, one depleted) deployed in a line behind revetments at one corner of the yard, one more full line covering the narrower southern? side of the yard, one depleted line covering the narrow opening between the HQ building and the corner house, all with revetments. I had my 12 pdrs supporting the southern line and my General holding the center court as a last reserve should my lines be breached.

What followed is best described by recalling the opening scenes from Enemy at the Gates - with the poor Swedes as the hapless Soviets. They came storming in as a human wave, only to get blown away in a hail of musketry. A couple got up the walls, but were only there long enough to open the gates for the rest before getting swept away by my 12 pdrs and fire coming from my lines. A few Militia units actually got to handgrips with my northern 2 Line, but were quickly repulsed (High Water Mark anyone?). A few tried to break in from the right flank, only to be halted by fire from my units in the HQ building and the nearby house.

Eventually, it just got too much for them. Every one of their units must have broken and rallied at least twice in the whole battle. At least two militia units rallied and came back at me five times in total. But after 30 minutes, the first units began fleeing the field. 45 minutes later, the battle was over, save for a brief skirmish as my General took out his 12 pdr batteries.

In all I suffered some 200 casualties in exchange for well over 1500 of theirs. This was, incidentally, Sweden's last hurrah as I destroyed them 5 turns later.

Smile Re: Anyone had a silly high K/D ratio yet?

Screenshot or it didn't happen :P

/troll

Self proclaimed loser of 'User Who Looks Most Like His Avatar' competition.

Sorry, but I was just too shellshocked to hit the Print Screen button after that one :P

I had a smilair thing against Sweden with the UP

I attacked with:
    4 mortars
    6 Republican Guards
    6 Line Infantry
    2 Dragoons
    2 Light Dragoons

Against a +- 3/4 stack.

The ai just placed his infantry behind the walls and did nothing except for a little cavalry attack which got easily repulsed by my dragoons and infantry. The mortars could fire away . The result was like 20 deaths against 800 kills.
    My Balloons:

Playing as the Republiek der Zeven Verenigde Nederlanden

The actual UP flag

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

As Austria, I attacked Venice once.

The battle was probably the most one-sided affair ever. The Venetians adopted the brilliant stratagem of engaging in a shootout with my cannons, of which I had four units, totally twelve guns. By having them fire immediately, I worked them into the sort of continuous cycle that all guns eventually seem to fall into, so that a gun was firing pretty much every few seconds.
    The results were...messy.

I would say the guns ended up taking out about 1400 militia total, with most units routing before they even got within musket range. I suffered a full 100 casualties, as a result of storming the town's houses, since I always feel guilty about leveling cities. Besides, I didn't want the 1st regiment to feel left out of the battle.

In the end it was something like 1500 Venetians lost to 100 Austrians. I probably could have gotten away without ANY casualties if I'd simply demolished the houses with cannons.

EDIT:
    I won't mention the time the AI bunched its entire army up into a giant blob and let my howitzers drop incendiaries on them. It's in the Amusing Screenshots thread :P
    Last edited by Sheogorath; 04-09-2009 at 08:43.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritFox View Post
    It was a battle against Sweden over Stockholm. I'd snuck my veteran army over the Baltic in a bunch of light Galleys. I took the city with some trouble... well, not really - they came out after me, so technically, I wiped out the bulk of their army in a huge defensive battle and took the city itself with minimal fuss. But my forces were badly depleted by the intense fight prior to its capture.

Immediately, the Swedes sent their sole remaining intact army against me - a full stack of line and provincial infantry, backed by two 12pdr batteries. I had 6 depleted line (all about 50% strength), 1 depleted cavalry - my general (60% strength), and a 12pdr battery. I initially had 2 depleted Uhlans as well (30% strength), but I expended them in a suicidal effort to delay the Swedes long enough for me to sneak some meagre reinforcements into the city (2 line).

So when the swedes finally hit me, with a full stack of perhaps 8 Line, 10 Militia and 2 12 Pdrs, I had 8 Line (6 at 50% strength, 2 full), 1 12 pdr and my General's cavalry. Somewhat miraculously, I had the option to deploy defenses against them - don't ask me what I did to manage that because I don't know. So I deployed revetments for my infantry inside the fort itself. I then garrisoned the three buildings in the square - the large command HQ which could fit two of my depleted veteran companies and one company in each of the other buildings, two line (one full, one depleted) deployed in a line behind revetments at one corner of the yard, one more full line covering the narrower southern? side of the yard, one depleted line covering the narrow opening between the HQ building and the corner house, all with revetments. I had my 12 pdrs supporting the southern line and my General holding the center court as a last reserve should my lines be breached.

What followed is best described by recalling the opening scenes from Enemy at the Gates - with the poor Swedes as the hapless Soviets. They came storming in as a human wave, only to get blown away in a hail of musketry. A couple got up the walls, but were only there long enough to open the gates for the rest before getting swept away by my 12 pdrs and fire coming from my lines. A few Militia units actually got to handgrips with my northern 2 Line, but were quickly repulsed (High Water Mark anyone?). A few tried to break in from the right flank, only to be halted by fire from my units in the HQ building and the nearby house.

Eventually, it just got too much for them. Every one of their units must have broken and rallied at least twice in the whole battle. At least two militia units rallied and came back at me five times in total. But after 30 minutes, the first units began fleeing the field. 45 minutes later, the battle was over, save for a brief skirmish as my General took out his 12 pdr batteries.

In all I suffered some 200 casualties in exchange for well over 1500 of theirs. This was, incidentally, Sweden's last hurrah as I destroyed them 5 turns later.

I had a similar experience, only I had blasted the walls open. This forces the enemy to make a beeline in column for the hole in the wall. I deployed 3 depleted line infantry and 2 12 pdr horse arty units in a box around the hole. I was able to destory 1 and half stacks (3000+ Swedes) with 400 infantry.

Not surprisingly I think they would have mauled me if the fortifications had been repaired.

Grenadiers grenades can be pretty crazy for this. One time I was in a pretty long-range standoff with the AI, they had about 10 regiments of militia hiding behind walls, and i simply didnt have the patience for my mortars to root them all out, so i sent some grenadiers round the flank. I worked my line infantry up so that their range extended to the wall that the AI was hiding behind (in case they tried to switch over to the other side) but it wasnt even needed. Grenades vs grouped up troops are absolute mayhem. One volley of grenades can take out a full 60-70 troops if they land right, at which point all but the most toughened elite infantry WILL break and run. Rinse and repeat for a few minutes and my grenadiers were sitting on about 750 kills.