Thread: Region Capitals

Default Region Capitals

So there's two types? City and outpost? Can someone explain the concept to me?
    A city can have a military building, a cannon forger, government building, happiness/research bonus building and fortifications

An "outpost" can have a government OR military building (not both) and fortifications. That's it.

Playing Maratha at the moment and I have to say it annoys me, it completely handicaps regions compared to others.
    India has 8 cities (including Ceylon/Sri Lanka) and 9 outposts.

I suppose the main gripe I have with this is it completely diminishes the regions ability to field troops
    My cities can field 5 or 6 units a turn while the outposts can field a whopping 2.

This annoy anyone else?

Default Re: Region Capitals

Nope. Not at all. It forces the player to make a choice between economic development and military development (in the one-building regions). It is a far bigger problem in the Americas, where there are only 5 cities. In India, it is horrendously easy to recruit troops from cities and send them anywhere, as long as you build your roads.
    Last edited by anweRU; 04-09-2009 at 13:26.
    Ancestry: Turkish & Irish. Guess my favorite factions!

Quote Originally Posted by anweRU View Post
    It is a far bigger problem in the Americas, where there are only 5 cities. In India, it is horrendously easy to recruit troops from cities and send them anywhere, as long as you build your roads.
    Which is perfectly right considering the population...

i never put military buildings in those outposts i make money there

BLEEEE! Senior Member Daveybaby's Avatar

Same here, haven't yet seen much need for military governer's mansions. Even in the americas, as long as you own one city, your generals can reinforce from anywhere in the field with a turn's delay - which kind of negates any requirement for strategically placed troop production centres.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveybaby View Post
    your generals can reinforce from anywhere in the field with a turn's delay - which kind of negates any requirement for strategically placed troop production centres.
    Shouldn't it take several turns for the reinforcements to arrive? I never use the recruit-from-general option, but when I look at it, it shows the turns to recruit + turns to travel, which is usually longer than one turn.
    Ancestry: Turkish & Irish. Guess my favorite factions!

deleted
    Last edited by Daveybaby; 04-09-2009 at 15:18. Reason: Ooops double posted by mistake

Quote Originally Posted by anweRU View Post
    Shouldn't it take several turns for the reinforcements to arrive? I never use the recruit-from-general option, but when I look at it, it shows the turns to recruit + turns to travel, which is usually longer than one turn.
    I think that's the case for entirely new units recruited in the field, but if youre merely replenishing existing depleted units, then i think that's just a 1 turn delay compared to if you recruited them in a settlement (i.e. they dont arrive on the very next turn, but on the turn after that).

I find that replenishing depleted units is sufficient for me enough of the time that i dont really need troop producing settlements on the front lines. Bit of a shame really, as it effectively makes one of the more interesting strategic decisions on the campaign map irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by entwo View Post
    So there's two types? City and outpost? Can someone explain the concept to me?
    A city can have a military building, a cannon forger, government building, happiness/research bonus building and fortifications

An "outpost" can have a government OR military building (not both) and fortifications. That's it.
    You've got it, basically. Some amplification here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...2&postcount=32

My guess -- and it's only a guess, since it isn't documented anywhere -- is that they decided settlements do not grow much in a century, so the building slot assignments could be fixed for the duration of a campaign.
    Forums are good for sharing questions, wikis are good for sharing answers:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Check out the Online ETW Data in the Totalwar.org wiki.

Ugh I really don't like it. I mean sure it'd make sense if it was to do with population, or say if it was a new world colony etc but it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
    My guess -- and it's only a guess, since it isn't documented anywhere -- is that they decided settlements do not grow much in a century, so the building slot assignments could be fixed for the duration of a campaign.
    Haha so settlements don't grow too much but villages explode into industrial powerhouses?

Insane Imperialist. Member Feanaro's Avatar
    The Greatest Country I've Ever Visited, the USA. The only country I've ever visited but still.

Quote Originally Posted by entwo View Post
    I suppose the main gripe I have with this is it completely diminishes the regions ability to field troops
    My cities can field 5 or 6 units a turn while the outposts can field a whopping 2.

This annoy anyone else?
    Can't say it does, since two cities can field a half stack every single turn. Four cities can turn out more than a stack a turn. Do you kill them off that fast or does it just annoy you on a theoretical level?
    Due to the ailing economy, this space has been foreclosed.

i do find it a bit silly when a place with a population of a few hundred thousand can be a fully fledged city, whilst other regions can have several million people there and just be a single-building place. I would rather that as population grows, you gain access to additional building slots gradually. There could a be a cap in various regions, and an argument can be made for America being the new world and only really colonies, but after that i think its OK.

Doesn't bother me. Once I figured out the system, I didn't even notice it anymore. Each faction has maybe 1-2 major cities, of which 1 of them is the capital (you can tell because it has 5 bldg slots instead of 4, and the 5th slot is always the naval building. The biggest port in your capital region is often where trade goods from your colonies come to before being sold off to your trade partners. This isn't always the case though, as with Prussia, where Brandenburg is the trade hub and East Prussia is the capital. That may also be the case with the 13 Colonies, as Boston seems to be bigger in trade, even though Philadelphia is the capital.

You basically focus your military production strategy on the regions with major cities while the provincial territories can field some auxilery troops. Or, you can make them military outposts and gain access to ~2/3 of your military tech tree but sacrifice a +4% bonus tax rate.

I mostly play as GB, and you start off with Jamaica having a military outpost, which is the only place in the Americas where you can train Colonial Line Infantry. I often find myself building the military building in Rupert's Land because the Huron almost always try to take it and it's a LONG way around northern Canada to get reinforcements from elsewhere in there. Once the Huron are dead I destroy the military building and go up the civilian line for the better tax rate.
    Fac et Spera