Thread: Harper's Island

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Harper's Island

There's this show about to come on CBS (Thursdays at 10PM GMT-5) called Harper's Island that I think the Gameroom would like. The gist of it that I get from the previews is that it's a mystery show, with one of the cast members being killed off every week by the mafioso one of the other cast members. Naturally, the parallels to what we do here are obvious.

I'm going to watch the first episode in a few minutes and report back here. If it's good, maybe we could turn this into a discussion and all bounce ideas off each other about who we think did it in order to sharpen our townie skills.

Thoughts?
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Default Re: Harper's Island

Sounds cool. I may go watch it right now, too... or perhaps I will keep following my game....

Tough decision...
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Blog Entries

I can;t watch it, so can you get it on the internet, somehow some way when its finished

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the heads up.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 777Ares777 View Post
    I can;t watch it, so can you get it on the internet, somehow some way when its finished
    It'll probably be on cbs.com a day or so after it airs. Not sure about how you being in the UK will affect it though.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

It's scripted so that will take away some of the mafia tells that we use, but it sounds interesting.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Blog Entries

Ten minutes in update:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    One kill already, I have no idea who it was, haha. So far the only thing I can discren is that the girl in the blue dress is drop-dead gorgeous.

Blog Entries

Deux Ex Machina...
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Blog Entries

The show is feeling pretty bland. Having a hard time keeping my attention.

Blog Entries

I'm going to give it another week. They need to get a lot of the initial stuff out of the way before the mystery starts (hopefully).

Blog Entries

Uncle Marty is the guy I want to be when I'm that age.

Blog Entries

What a jip.

They killed of the only interesting character!

Blog Entries

My initial thoughts:

Review (no spoilers):
    I did like it better than khaan, I believe. It takes time to set things like this up and I believe that the premiere episode got a lot of the background and whatnot out of the way. I think next week will start the "whodunit" aspect of the show. Plus the show's women are really nice, which alone warrants another week of my attention.

Knee-jerk suspicion (spoilers):
    The blond British dude that keeps trying to propose to his girlfriend. He's giving me a bit of an Ozymandias vibe. I think with the last kill they're trying to point you to the bride's dad, so I'm staying away from him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    My initial thoughts:
    Review (no spoilers):
    I did like it better than khaan, I believe. It takes time to set things like this up and I believe that the premiere episode got a lot of the background and whatnot out of the way. I think next week will start the "whodunit" aspect of the show. Plus the show's women are really nice, which alone warrants another week of my attention.
    Meh, they're nice. I've seen better looking casts before.

Knee-jerk suspicion (spoilers):
    The blond British dude that keeps trying to propose to his girlfriend. He's giving me a bit of an Ozymandias vibe. I think with the last kill they're trying to point you to the bride's dad, so I'm staying away from him.
    I'm thinking its going to end up as the bride. Why?
    Last edited by seireikhaan; 04-10-2009 at 04:21.

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They should turn Capo in a movie

I'll go check it out on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I'll have to check this out next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Saw the first episode. I have to say they are quite successful in terms of creeping people out. But theres only a few suspects left...

And now that uncle Marty and the cute blonde girl is gone.. Is there any point in watching this??

And that little girl is really creepy...

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Hmm, I liked the show. Abby and the fisherman dude are the only likable characters so far, but that's good in a show where most people die horrible deaths...that blonde dude with the annoying accent needs to die stat.

As for predictions:

Abby seems tailor made for "defeats killer in last episode"...this makes perfect for a surprise killer however...wifom...

Killer will probably only have a minor role until later. I would guess none of the people involved in subplots at this point are the killer.
    Last edited by Sasaki Kojiro; 04-14-2009 at 18:08.