Thread: He Agora (The Forum)

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Default He Agora (The Forum)

The purpose of this thread is to create in-character interaction between players, as well as make official in-game announcements (like declaration of war, promotion of a character to a certain rank, the beginning and end of the each Synedrion session).

Maion
    Last edited by Maion Maroneios; 04-19-2009 at 19:15.
    ~Maion

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

Default First Emergency Session

A man walks into the Agora and heads straight for a public speaker. He brings forth a parchment, hands it to him and whispers something in his ear. The public speaker nods, while the first man walks off towards the Synedrion. The public speaker reads the parchment and then raises his right hand, and proclaims in a loud voice:

"A message comes from Basileus Antigonos Gonatas in Attike. He wish to make it publicly known that the first Emergency Session is about to begin. You who are to attend it should head to the Synedrion immediately."

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Default Re: The Agora

Letter from Krateros Argeades to Antigonos Argeades.

Thank you for your faith in me brother, together we will rid our lands of the Mollosian dogs and those southern upstarts. I have raised taxes across all regions, they are at exorbitant levels everywhere except Korinthos where they are simply scandalously high! The citizens there are not to be trusted and I didn't want to give them reason to complain, I could have parked the amy in the city but I feel it is better camped outside to give us more flexibilty in the event of an attack from the Hellenic Alliance. I have ordered a unit of Toxotai raised in Pella, I am aware this may cause scorn in the Synedrion, but I find them useful. The Epirotes have Galations, Thracians and Illyrians with them all of whom wear little armour and are easy meat for archers, they would also be useful to pepper Pyrrhos' elephants and cause the creatures to turn on their masters. I also ordered a unit of levy Hoplites in Demetrias, simply as a garrison. There is group of Hoplites in Mytilene who are a drain on our resources for little benefit, perhaps we should order it to disband. Good luck with your campaign against Pyrrhos and know Alexandros and I have your southern flank secure. May the Gods be with you.

Letter from Krateros Argeades to Alexandros Argeades.

Son, I wish you to leave Korinthos tomorrow and take command of our southern forces. I will remain in Korinth to control the city, my influence and personality should keep the people in check and I can keep a close eye on our taxes. Remember our role is defence, unless a rebel army comes into the region around Korinthos you should not engage. Feel free to move the army to a position you feel is more advantageous, but be sure you can reach Korinthos quickly if necessary. May the Gods be with you.

Downgradez :( Member Iskander 3.1's Avatar

Archon Basilikou Stolou Alkaios storms into the Agora, outraged
    What in the name of Hades has happened to my fleet? This is an outrage! Basileus, I demand that those ships be reassembled, immediately! Perhaps Krateros Argeades should be forced to fund the reconstruction? At the very least, I suggest that we place his head on the mast of my flagship. He must really want us to lose this war with the Hellenic Alliance by ceding the seas to them.
    Strikeout!

A messenger enters the Agora and walks up to Agathangelos. He hands him a letter, speaks a few words with him and then leaves. Agathangelos reads the letter and then speaks out with a loud voice to all.

"Word has come to us from our Basileus, Antigonos Gonatas, in Thessalia. He wish to announce first and foremost that he has defeated an army of Greeks led by a man who called himself Rhouphos, who himself was slain by Antigonos' own men when he did as all cowards do, and ran. Out of the more than 8000 man strong army, only a mere 120 Greeks ever got to see their homes again.

Secondly, he also wish to let it be known that Krateros is no longer a Strategos commanding our southern forces. He has himself decided to retire from his military career, and the Basileus has named Alexandros as the new Strategos to take his place instead. May the gods favour him in battle for as long as he serves our kingdom!"
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 04-22-2009 at 12:12.

Letter from Krateros to each member of the Synedrion.

Friend, due to the edict ordering war taxes I enacted taxation across the Empire at what I felt was the maximum sustainable level. As it is the Epirotes have abandoned our territory and the Athenian/Spartan alliance appear unable to launch a sustained threat. I propose to reduce taxation to low levels in Mytilene and Chalkis as our prohibitive taxation is hindering growth. I am thinking long term, we will have less income now but the benefits in the future will be great. May the Gods be with you.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Generally I like to keep any city with less than 2000 population on low tax. When a city reaches this stage it can usually handle very high and still increase in population (probably because I always favour buildings that enhance population growth)
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 04-22-2009 at 12:27.

ETW Steam: Little Fox Member mini's Avatar

(OOC: as the synedrion is only used for specific debate during the winter turn, i've posted this here)

A public letter from Alkyoneus to his father, Gonatas

Dearest Father

My greetings from the lovely city of Pella. Mother sends her love.
    When word reached the city Phyrrus turned around, I've given some festivities in your name.
    The people celebrated the averted threat joyeously.
    As to why he turned around, it is my opinion that he wanted to stay close to the Adriatic Sea because of Roman activity in the southern Italian Peninsula

The defences we prepared in order to stand up to this Epirotean yokel however, have presented us with near-empty treasury coffers. This needs a solution or we face bankrupcy.

Either we disband the newly recruited parts of the army, or we use our increased military power to establish our ruling in southern Hellas. Athens and Sparta must be made to see they will fare much better under Macedonian rule, like it was during Megas Alexandros' time.

I shall propose to this effect in the next Synedrion. I only wished to apprise you of my intentions in advance."

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

Default Re: He Agora (The Forum)

A messenger enters the Agora, and seeks out the representatives of the Basileus and Basileus Grammatikus. Passer by's overhear his loud proclamation.

Sirs, I bare a message from my master, the young Strategos, Alexandros Argeades. He comes to ask for reinforcements for the southern army, now that the threat of Pyrrhus has been avoided. He requires some heavy infantry and cavalry, so that he may combat the large combined forces of Sparta and Athens, that at this very moment ravage the land around Olympia, and threaten Korinthos itself.

Although Alexandros' army blocks passage across the Isthmus, his forces are not adequate to even defend Korinthos, let alone the whole of the Peloponnese, should the Hellenes decide to attack further, of which they are sure to do so.

Alexandros asks for a unit of Phalangites to be transferred from Pella, from whence they are little needed any longer, and for either the Thessalyian cavalry or the allied Greek cavalry from Antigonos' forces to be transferred to him, along with any other forces the kingdom can spare. Athens is barely defended, and unlikely to receive any relief force. Alexandros is sure some of Antigonos' forces can be loaned to the army in much further need of them at this present time.

What say you, sirs?
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

"Antigonos may send him some of his cavalrymen, but you will not receive any of his infantry, nor will you get any from Pella. He does not have so many men himself that he can just up and give them all away on a whim, and Pella barely have enough to garrison itself. Are you forgetting that we still haven't achieved peace with Pyrrhos? And that barbarians may still come from the north? Would you have us leave Makedonia defenceless?

Nay, I say. The mines of Makedonia bring in a great deal of our money, and we must not lose it. I will not have it risked foolishly, and Korinthos would be the lesser loss. Have Alexandros know that he should focus on the Spartans and if peace is struck with Pyrrhos, I believe Antigonos will deal with Athens himself. Until then you will have to make do with what you have, just like the rest of us do."

(OOC: I will answer your letter, mini, but I don't have time now.)
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 04-23-2009 at 20:28.

The messenger answers.

I will take that message to Alexandros, sir. Can I be so bold as to pursue that Alexandros receive the first reinforcements when they are released?
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    + =
    [/CENTER]

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Antisthenes Pellinios walks in the Agora of Pella and, upon finding a good elevated place to stand and face the people around, speaks to the gathering crowd

People! Friends! Noble Sympatriotai!

My name is Antisthenes Pellinios, and I am one of your representatives in the Synedrion. I am here today to discuss with you the matters of the state. As you may know, the very person who threatened our beloved capital, has now abandoned his arms and retreated to the dark woods of Epeiros. At the same time, the Southrons have assembled a large force and are threatening our holdings in the region of Achaia, Peloponnesos.

While many would say the best course of action would be to turn our attention to the south, I believe we should not let our guards down. Pyrrhos and his fearsome elephantes are still on the loose, with the Koinon Epeiroton probably deciding their next course of action.

On the other hand, we cannot completely turn our backs to our southern holdings. Our Basileus, Antigonos Gonatas, was forced to abandon his campaign in Attike to protect Pella from the Epeirotic incursion, leaving behind the hopes of returning Southern Hellas under our control. This gave the Southrons the opportunity to assemble an army and regain hopes of "liberating" themselves from rightful Makedonian rule.

So this brings me to the core of our discussion. What I would like to hear from you, is what you believe should be the rightful course of action. I am not trying to emulate the workings of the Synedrion in any way; don't take me wrong. I have always thought it wise to consult the common people for matters of the state. For sometimes, I admit, we tend to forget the oppinions of the citizens of the Basileion and their needs. We just need to open our ears more.

Antisthenes looks out for anyone among the crowd who want to discuss with him
    ~Maion

Downgradez :( Member Iskander 3.1's Avatar

It is just as well that we don't send reinforcements, sneered Alkios. At its present size our fleet may not be able to hold that many men.
    Strikeout!

Letter from Krateros to Antiginos.

"Brother, I sent an emissary to the Epirotes as you requested. He spoke with Pyrrhos' firstborn and requested peace, a trading agreement and compensation for the farmland those hairy barbarians looted near Pella. The offer was dismissed, there was no attempt at compromise. I will leave it in your capable hands how we proceed, the Spartan/Athenian alliance doesn't appear likely to attack Korinthos anytime soon. I am sure with a small reinforcement Alexandros would be a sufficient deterrent to allow you to campaign against Pyrrhos without worrying about your southern border. May the Gods be with you.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 04-23-2009 at 23:23.

A letter is returned to Krateros

"Brother, thank you for this information. It is worrying news I hear though, and it has made my decision clear: I will send the Thessalian cavalry to strengthen Alexandros' army. I will also send him some of my infantrymen (OOC: one unit of Phalangitai Deuteroi) which I will have to find a replacement for in the garrison found in Pella (the phalangitai deuteroi found there). I that at least the horses can make it in time. Do you have any information on the Greek army you speak of in your seasonal report?

Simply put, I am thinking of making a risky move. We have not succeeded in gaining a peace with Pyrrhos, but he have removed himself from our lands. His threat is no longer as imminent as it was before. So if the northern situation stays the same when winter comes, I will propose to the Synedrion that I should gamble on Athens and leave Makedonia ill defended, as I am aware that Agathangelos spoke out against. However, Alexandros and you need your help and that cannot be ignored. If the Synedrion agree that it's worth the risk, I will go for it. Beyond that, we will see.

Oh, and I do apologize for not answering your last letter. It was most unfortunate, but I did not have the time. As the Basilikos Grammateus, I am sure you can understand that.

May the gods be with you as well, as it seems you may need them.

Signed,
    Antigonos Gonatas"

Another letter is sent, this one to Alkyoneus, and made public.

"Son,

let your mother know she is ever in my heart as well, and I thank you for the festivities. I have just now written a letter to my brother - your uncle - Krateros about my agreement with your plans. It is risky and it will put both you and your mother in danger of invasion since no doubt you've heard we could not achieve peace with Pyrrhos. However, the Greeks worry me still, and Alexandros seems to be in need of help.

So I need you to immediately dispatch the phalanx that is currently under your command. They are to by ship get to my army in Thessalia and replace the men I will send to reinforce Alexandros. I will then, if nothing else have changed, I will attempt to achieve the goal I set out to attempt before: conquer Athens. I will relay this to the Synedrion and see what advice they can give, and guessing from your letter it would seem you say you would agree. If you have any thoughts on the subject, do not spare me them. If you wish to be the heir, proving beyond a doubt that you have the knowledge and tactical as well as strategical know-how would go a long way in doing just that.

Your father,
    Antigonos Gonatas"

Agathangelos takes a prominent place in the Agora and proclaims loudly:

"Members of the Synedrios! A new session is beginning this 12th of December, 272 BCE. You or any representative of a member are all called to attend it immediately.

A message arrives from Korinthos.

My master, Strategos Alexandros Argeades, heartily thanks the Basileus and Basileus Grammatikus for their support. With these reinforcements, Alexandros is sure he can defeat the combined Spartan-Athenian army. He will speak further upon his plans in the upcoming congressional session.
    + =
    [/CENTER]

A messenger arrives to speak in the Agora.

Men of Makedon, I braved torture and death to get this message here from the Basileus Grammateus.

"The treasury of our state is unable to cope with the threat of a two-front war. We may not want two wars but Pyrrhos may give it to us anyway. I ask all men of honour and patriotism to send me a message, in the strictest of privacy, detailing any means you have of assisting your state. And yes, I will be contributing myself. This is a matter of urgency if we wish to defeat the southern rebels and the Mollosian tyrant. May the Gods guide you in your generosity at this difficult time.

Krateros Argeades."
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 05-04-2009 at 17:48.