• Disband units with chevrons/because of age

9 11.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roleplay/Your Houserules

Blog Entries

Default Roleplay/Your Houserules

Hi,
    Since my last Romani campain I started to play Eb with Roleplaying and used the romans historicaly correct in battles and simulated struggle between the families. I also played really really slowly and tried to conquer one country in 20-30 years.
    I often see people in this forum talk about their Houserules/Roleplay so I would like to hear/poll about your playstyle.
    Last edited by seienchin; 04-11-2009 at 10:19.

Devout worshipper of Bilious Member miotas's Avatar

Default Re: Roleplay/Your Houserules

-don't blitz,
    -very few elites, usually only two per army
    -try to have(depending on the faction) up to half the army as levies.
    -as the romans i have half my army as allied troops, half roman
    -disband armies with silver chevrons or 10+ years, as the romans I disband my roman troops in territories they have captured, and allied troops in the place I recruited them.
    -as the romans i use the manipulator formation
    -i don't use force diplomacy, but i do try and play enemies off against each other.
    -only use the general as a last resort, this also depends on the faction, as it seems more likely that in monarchic factions the generals would take a more active role.

As other factions i use as many of these house rules as seem to fit.

basically i just use common sense for the most part and do things that make sense.

makes for a very enjoyable game

- Four Horsemen of the Presence

Blog Entries

Interesting. I never hold my generals back, but it would be historical correct to do so sometimes.^^
    Cant imagine a roman general atacking with the first wave of soldiers

Also, in my current baktrian campaign i've basically been using a more heavily armoured core of 5 or 6 hellenes with all the rest being light native infantry and horse with the occasional more heavily armoured native horse unit.

In this campaign though, seeing as the generals have very heavy cavalry they take a more significant role than i would with romans, they are very heavy though and get tired quickly so i try to wait until they will have maximum impact

Yeah i'd probably do a lot of what miotas does, but of course it varies depending on which faction i'm playing. I've found roleplaying to be a lot more fun than just blitzing along - having great fun in a Karthadastim campaign RP'ing the dissolution of their senate and the establishment of an Emperor

Diairei kai basileue

Age. Fac ut gaudeam.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcmar View Post
    Yeah i'd probably do a lot of what miotas does, but of course it varies depending on which faction i'm playing. I've found roleplaying to be a lot more fun than just blitzing along - having great fun in a Karthadastim campaign RP'ing the dissolution of their senate and the establishment of an Emperor
    now that is an interesting idea, I'll have to give that a go sometime.

*edit*
    something else i should add

I only disband units that have been on campaign abroad, i have no issues with keeping a few units that are acting as a garrison for many generations, i roleplay that the sons join the levy defence unit when their fathers get too old.
    Last edited by miotas; 04-11-2009 at 11:53.

Quote Originally Posted by miotas View Post
    now that is an interesting idea, I'll have to give that a go sometime.

*edit*
    something else i should add

I only disband units that have been on campaign abroad, i have no issues with keeping a few units that are acting as a garrison for many generations, i roleplay that the sons join the levy defence unit when their fathers get too old.
    Aye, i'd do the same myself - also if i have a bit of spare cash on my hands i usually set up forts in strategic areas/beside resources and rp the (usually small) garrison as the militia of a small town

Diairei kai basileue

Age. Fac ut gaudeam.

Blog Entries

I also enjoy making my own Army reforms.
    In my Macedonian campain I first didnt use elites or pezhetairoi to simulate the heavy losses to Phyrrus, but big stacks of levies and mercenary. Then changed my Army to small Elite fighters(Only a few phalangitai, but more mobile troops), who where engaging in a lot of conflicts around the mediterean and I always gave the cities I took to my allies. Then after 50 years Macedonia had rebuild its strengh again and disbanded the small stacks and changed to bigger but heavier and less mobile armies. Then to respond to the losses I took in the forests and hills of italy I started to use mobile local allies and so on. It makes the game somewhat more fun than always playing with the same configurations.

Not Actually Greek... Member NickTheGreek's Avatar

The only acceptable time to blitz is at the start, to secure a good foothold for your nation. Allow the AI to build up its strength. Use FD to get peace treaties so that a series of wars are possible, not just one long slog.
    Balloons! - - A Very Super Market, - Tiberius Claudius Marcellus, - Machinor

I also tend to give a ton of cash to the Eleutheroi at the start to stop the AI factions going nuts too soon

Diairei kai basileue

Age. Fac ut gaudeam.

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

Does that work?
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

I also tend to give a ton of cash to the Eleutheroi at the start to stop the AI factions going nuts too soon
    How! How! How!

what is the code for this cheat?

This seems like a very good idea, it would slow the ai down to a more realistic pace.

add_money slave, 40000
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    + =
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Beanerz View Post
    add_money slave, 40000
    Its that simple? Does this work for all factions?

I usally don't blitz, I also don't use many elites and battles i tend too avoid any bridge/siege holdup. Also trying too make sure that most troops are from homeland provinces and too use the formation style that was somewhat historical for the faction. The multiple chevrons army I rather dived them amongst other arms and treat them as a part of the elit corps

and yeah knowing the internal names too the factions u can use add_money too take/give money to/from every faction u want, I personaly don't use it thou

EDIT: english ain't my best point
    Last edited by gostisa; 04-11-2009 at 13:13.

Quote Originally Posted by gostisa View Post
    I usally don't blitz, I also don't use many elites and battles i tend too avoid any bridge/siege holdup. Also trying too make sure that most troops are from homeland provinces and too use the formation style that was somewhat historical for the faction. The multiple chevrons army I rather dived them amongst other arms and treat them as a part of the elit corps

and yeah knowing the internal names too the factions u can use add_money too take/give money to/from every faction u want, I personaly don't use it thou

EDIT: english ain't my best point
    Welcome to the guild gostica,

that is an intersting idea, maybe in future i will hold onto my silver chevrons for a few years longer as elites.

This thread is giving me some good ideas.

Oh, and your english is very good.

In my case the amount of Roleplay depends on which faction I play as. Most of the time I only start roleplaying after having a stable economy.

One of my favourite Ideas (with Saka) is that after I take the most northern city in India I roleplay that they became allies (type 4 goverment) of the Nomads who mostly left the area because of weather conditions. Then the "Indo -(Saka)- Hellenes" continue there war with the minor kingdoms in India - no nomad units used there just local forces, everything there will be payed from the Income of the towns (or towns) in India and from Time to time the Saka will ask the "Indo Hellenes" for suporting troops which must be sent and after a while be returned to there place of training.

I don't always disband experienced troops -most of the time I just send them backt to there province (they tend there fiels and live there lives but in case of crisis they can be called to fight).
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

Yeah giving the rebs money definitely makes a difference - they tend to have much, much larger garrisons - not only slows the AI down a bit, but can force you to carefully consider your own expansion too! Usually give them a large lump sum at the start, then if i remember some extra money each turn too - great for stopping factions like the Sweboz taking over half of europe before you really get going

Oh and i usually have to 'promote' regular units before i recruit elites at all - like when two or three units of pezhetairoi get up to silver chevrons i'll consider disbanding the three and recruiting one unit of elites with the reasoning that the best/richest/most influential men of the three form the new elite unit, and the remainder either go back to their farms or rejoin the regulars - makes an army feel more unique pretending that the Peltastai Makedonikoi actually came from the best of the pezhetairoi - things like that

Diairei kai basileue

Age. Fac ut gaudeam.

That's "Chopper" to you, bub. Member DaciaJC's Avatar

Yeah giving the rebs money definitely makes a difference - they tend to have much, much larger garrisons - not only slows the AI down a bit, but can force you to carefully consider your own expansion too! Usually give them a large lump sum at the start, then if i remember some extra money each turn too - great for stopping factions like the Sweboz taking over half of europe before you really get going
    Hmm, I never realized that the Eleutheroi can actually recruit troops. I imagined that they make due with what they are given at the beginning and are slowly brought down through attrition.

Oh, and may I ask, how exactly does one go about tracking the age of every single unit in order to retire them after x years?
    Last edited by DaciaJC; 04-11-2009 at 20:02.
    + =

3x for this, this, and this

Quote Originally Posted by Frontline1944 View Post
    Hmm, I never realized that the Eleutheroi can actually recruit troops. I imagined that they make due with what they are given at the beginning and are slowly brought down through attrition.

Oh, and may I ask, how exactly does one go about tracking the age of every single unit in order to retire them after x years?
    I've seen the garrisons of Eleutheroi cities go way up proportionate to the amounts of money i give to them so i'm presuming they can recruit extra units, dunno where else the units would be coming from....
    Last edited by Elcmar; 04-11-2009 at 20:06.

Diairei kai basileue

Age. Fac ut gaudeam.

Giving money to Eleutheroi definitely affects things. You will see, for instance a lot more mines in Eleutheroi hands if you give them say 200,000 Mnai per turn (or alternatively an x amount times the number of territories they control + a lump sum to pay for the various rebel stacks. You will also see a fair amount of 35k Mnai ports in Eleutheroi hands.

They can recruit, but oftentimes they simply go bankrupt because of the high costs of unit upkeep. Sadly the Eleutheroi is depicted as a single faction. So either all Eleutheroi do well or all Eleutheroi stagnate, barring the few cities on which surplus (if any) money will be spent.

You can even add in the add_money cheat for them in the script. So you don't even have to think about it.

That's "Chopper" to you, bub. Member DaciaJC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by d'Arthez View Post

You can even add in the add_money cheat for them in the script. So you don't even have to think about it.
    They aren't given anything through the AI money script, like the other factions? If not, I'd imagine that they would go immediately bankrupt with all of their units' upkeeps.
    + =

3x for this, this, and this

Quote Originally Posted by Frontline1944 View Post
    You don't need to keep track of every single unit, but say you remember that you recruited that army that's now fighting in Iberia, back in 245 and the year is now 235, you get a new army ready to relieve it so that it can retire soon, it doesn't matter that a few units, are younger or older, it's just a general guideline to make the game more fun.

Just do whatever feels right. 10 years feels right to me because after that long men would be getting older and slowing down, and the life of a soldier would be hard on the men.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Romani houserules:

A legion is raised for 16 years and no retraining allowed, at the end of the 16 years it is disbanded in different cities across the Republic to simulate land grants. If I'm in a war it can be extended to 20 years, 25 at an emergency but no more. I'm aware this is not really historically accurate but it's as close as you can get in RTW I feel.
    My Camillan legion consist of one Leves, one Hastati, one Principes, one Triarii and one Rorarii. There is one accensii shared between two legions (as I believe they are too powerful for what they represent) and FMs are used for the cavalry wing.
    An allied ala is raised for each legion. these generally consist of a unit of light skirmishers, light infantry, heavy infantry, pedites extraordinarii, archers and cavalry. I may add a unit of heavier skirmisher if available and sometime two cavalry units.
    I start with 2 legions, then one more is added every 16 years depending on expansion. Light expansion may see none added, large gains may need 2 more.
    One legion and one ala are used in the same stack. They can be separated, to attack a small enemy or to attack from different directions but generally travel together.
    I don't recruit mercs, this allows the AI to recruit them giving a greater challenge. It also simulates the greater uniformity of the Roman army when you are fighting such diverse armies.
    I don't accept adoptions. I don't know why, I just don't like it. Daughters allow you to diversify your family tree anyway.
    When a region is conquered it starts at level 4 govt. When the client ruler dies it becomes level 3(whether natural death or otherwise). The approx 30 years later level 2. Another 30 years or so for those regions able to become level 1.
    Absolutely no reloading, I reloaded a battle I lost once and it was my biggest mistake ever in EB. I totally lost all interest in a campaign which I had been playing for 6 months and was near the Marian reforms. I have never got close to them since.
    FMs go to Rome (or another big city with a school) between 16 and 20, then with the army for 10 years, then back to Rome for a political career. Only Senators can govern cities, preferably at least former Praetors but former Quaestors can govern small towns. Certain cities, like Syracuse, Tarentum etc can only be governed by somebody with Consular authority. Obviously this doesn't apply to type four govt.

Copied from my Romani AAR, I also try to roleplay traits, eg brave or rash generals will attack despite overwhelming odds. I try to have a reason for reforms, eg the "Gallic Disaster" in the AAR. My houserules are similar for other factions.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 04-12-2009 at 12:12.

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Roleplay/Your Houserules

• I play slowly (well, mostly), but certainly not according to the historic timeline - my faction would be terminated the next year then
    • I use historically balanced armies, but not to the extent of repeating the desastrous mistakes of Perseus at Pydna...
    • Also I use FD, but not to halt the AI expansion, but to help them - giving them money and sometimes big stacks that I can fight.
    • Also I play "pseudohistorically". That means that I mod my own military / political reforms for me and sometimes for the AI. I always ask myself "what would the faction do if it was in the position you are in now," according to their culture and mentality?

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

well, all the "houserules" are informal; I expand slowly and historically simply because I do not want to stretch the army out. I use historically accurate armies because, depending on the factions and circumstances, they are more efficient, or more challenging, or even both-same for formations. and forced diplomacy is so that I can have something known as diplomacy without resorting to large bribes
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 04-12-2009 at 08:39.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Post Re: Roleplay/Your Houserules

Heh, I do not do any of the aforementioned (in the poll, not the previous replies) things really, but I do play slower than I could in my newly started Eperios VH/H, although for most people, it would still seem very fast expansion. At least it is not my Romani campaign, where by 225 BC I had 154 provinces. I also severely limit myself on elites, especially Elepahntes Indikoi, Peltastai Makedonikoi, Hypaspistai, Chaonion Agema, etc, and even allow no more than two Pezhetairoi per army, which is rather radical for me.

Otherwise, no other roleplay. Except the fact that I record everything a general with an army does, how many units he has, the losses he inflicts and takes, and etc, etc. I suppose it is a sort of roleplay, but I am not quite sure.
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 04-14-2009 at 03:02.

You'd be good in BtSH
    + =
    [/CENTER]

ERROR READING USER PROFILE Member AqD's Avatar

Here are my houserules:

• Be without fear in the face of your enemies. (retreat whenever the situation isn't good, even when it'd cost the lives of my soldiers and citizens)
    • Be brave and upright (always use missile weapons and avoid melee combat!)
    • Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. (always lie in diplomacy; pay & cancel tribute for map information is a good start! )
    • Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong (attack defenseless towns, massacre civilians, spread plagues and raze all conquered cities to the ground!)

Last edited by AqD; 04-13-2009 at 21:33.

Downgradez :( Member Iskander 3.1's Avatar

Yes! Join us!!!
    Strikeout!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast