Thread: Map.rwm and the importance of a clean v.81 Build

EBII Council Senior Member Kull's Avatar

Default Map.rwm and the importance of a clean v.81 Build

Everything keeps coming back to this map.rwm issue. So for those who are unclear on what it does, let me at least try and explain how it can mess up your games:

1) The first thing RTW does does when starting up is to create the map.rwm file - if it's not already present. (It can be found in this directory: EB\Data\world\maps\base)

2) Map.rwm is basically a summary of data from many, but not all of the various files used in the game.

3) No matter what changes you make to a build, if you delete map.rwm and have RTW generate a new one before starting a new campaign, all your files will be "in synch".

4) BUT......

4a) If you are using an old map.rwm and have changed some files and start a new campaign, there is the possibility of a "disconnect" between the settings in map.rwm and those in your game files.

4b) Or if you are playing a campaign with a synched-up map.rwm and THEN you change some of the game files, there is a chance that now map.rwm and your save game will react badly to the new files, and you'll get problems that way.

4c) Or if you change some files and then delete map.rwm, you can have a situation where map.rwm and the files are in synch, but the settings in your savegame are not.

5) So.....

To prevent any problems, it always best to:

I. Load EB v.81 on top of a clean RTW v1.5 installation.

II. Look to see if there's a map.rwm file, and if there is, delete it.

III. Start a new campaign and do NOT use any save games from previous builds or installations.

IV. If you make any file changes, and SUDDENLY START HAVING NEW PROBLEMS, repeat steps II and III. Sorry, your old campaign is dead.

If you aren't CERTAIN that you performed steps I, II, and III, please refrain from posting bug reports. Likewise, if you change files or add ANY submods - even those created by EB Team Members - do not report any bugs. Because the simple fact is that when EB team members are chasing down non-repeatable bugs (because they are caused by your non-standard installation), we aren't working on new content or real bugs.
    Last edited by Kull; 02-24-2007 at 18:38.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Default Re: Map.rwm and the importance of a clean v.81 Build

I can imagine how frustrating this can be. Maybe you could simply remove the .81 patch and only make the full version available? It's the one I installed, just to be certain I wouldn't have any weird issues caused by a bad installation.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

The patch will work, but only if you delete the map.rwm file. Even then, old savegames are not compatible. Apparently.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Good post, I didn't know a lot of these. Will definately refer to and keep in mind for future reference. Should be stickied though.

RTRPE includes a batch file which deletes map.rwm each time you run it, IIRC. Might be a good idea...
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

If you deleted the 0.8 version and loaded up the 0.81 version, do you still need to delete map.rwm?
    Blackadder:"Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?"

https://skender.be/supportdenmark/#CS

If you have a map.rwm file before you first start .81, I'd probably be best to delete it just to make sure.

Thumbs up Re: Map.rwm and the importance of a clean v.81 Build

Just found out that I need to delete that map.rwm, because I was attacking the region and got a CTD
    Blackadder:"Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?"

https://skender.be/supportdenmark/#CS

Axebitten Modder Senior Member Dol Guldur's Avatar

Do EB patches not contain a 0-byte map.rwm which, on install, overwrites the map.rwm and allows the game to compile a new one on campaign start up?
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."

EB2 Baseless Conjecturer Member blacksnail's Avatar

I don't think 0.81 included this, hence the hotfix.

EBII Council Senior Member Kull's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dol Guldur
    Do EB patches not contain a 0-byte map.rwm which, on install, overwrites the map.rwm and allows the game to compile a new one on campaign start up?
    We recently learned that a 0-byte map.rwm prevents multiplayer games, so the v.81a hotfix will have a v.81a specific map.rwm - but not 0-byte.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

Axebitten Modder Senior Member Dol Guldur's Avatar

- I did not know that. Thank you. Is that because the player goes to play one before the map.rwm is generated? I am quite clueless about MP I must admit.

I have also used a batch file to delete the map.rwm file.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dol Guldur
    - I did not know that. Thank you. Is that because the player goes to play one before the map.rwm is generated? I am quite clueless about MP I must admit.

I have also used a batch file to delete the map.rwm file.
    We think that even with the same files in "base" the map.rwm will still be different when its created on different computers (just because its a compression of files I guess) and RTW can pick that slight change up. Thats the only explanation we can think of.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Whereby can I notice in my running game that something goes wrong because of the "map.rwm" file?
    I installed a clean RTW 1.5 version and then EB v.081a(v2). But I didn´t delete the map.rwm file and I´m not sure if this file was already present. In my opinion my game is working without greater problems... but you never know.

Regards Marcel

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

If you just installed EB, then don't worry about the map.rwm. You only have to delete it when you are installing multiple things, such as minimods or patches. And even patches shouldn't be a problem. If you used an EB full install, there should be no problems with the map what-so-ever.

Thank you for such good news

Regards
    Marcel

::"P{>:#@@
    Last edited by Mr Durian; 10-26-2007 at 01:22.
    "I am the Flail of God. If you have not committed such sins would God have sent me to punish you?" -Genghis Khan

The Galatian, AtB Member Member Admetos's Avatar

Mr Durian, I think you were perhaps looking for this thread.

Support Asia ton Barbaron, the Eastern Mod for EB, on The Guild and TWC.
    Former barman at the EB Tavern.
    My balloons:

Do I have to do this with the 1.2 version??

Quote Originally Posted by xzGAB View Post
    Do I have to do this with the 1.2 version??
    AFAIK you have to do this in RTW itself and thus in every mod for RTW.
    So, yes, also for EB 1.2.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Map.rwm and the importance of a clean v.81 Build

The trivial script (if you have it installed) also replaces map.rwm, so I don't think it's necessary.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

If you change files in the mod, you may have to delete and regenerate map.rwm yes, depending on which files you've changed. For a fresh, unmodded installation however, this should not be necessary.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking