Poll: What is your favourite faction in singleplayer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Faction

Default Favourite Faction

Ok, we've all had a while to play Empire, discover its nuances tec, so now I ask you-who is your favourite faction in singleplayerPersonally, I like the Marathan Confederacy due to their potentially huge economy, but if I want a challenge the Ottamans are nice.

Also, this is my first poll, so things may go wrong. Be warned.
    Finally, please specify which faction you picked if you chose one of the regional minor groups (and tell me if I missed any).

And yes, i added the obligatory last 2
    Last edited by Ishmael; 04-12-2009 at 09:46.

Default Re: Favourite Faction

I may not vote in this poll? :S

Anyway, Poland-Lithuania simply because I like playing the underdog.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Excuse me for not voting yet.

I got a slow start with my game being delayed by the Royal Mail. I have only played a few campaigns and can’t really say yet, 100%.

I have not played any of the minors and other than RTI I have stuck with Europeans.

I have seen loads of people complaining about all the factions being the same. But you know, other than sharing unit types I don’t find it the case at all.

Economically they are all so different, and the way they need to be handled is also quite individual.

I guess I am doing a bit of RP with them all, in seeing how best to grow them into a power with out attacking everyone on the first turn of the game.

So far GB was the most straight forward, and in some regards easiest, while the UP had the greatest potential for wealth, but very slow in building up an army.

Sweden’s struggles with stability and territory were fun. Austria has a good unit mix and a lot of potential as a military power when they or if they become economically strong.

Spain has been a long slow road in development but her regions have great potential once they can begin to actually produce.

The US was not super difficult except in grabbing Texas and New Mexico in time to win, at least the way I played it.

I only have impressions of the others and have not played them yet.

It is even hard to say who I liked best so far. I didn’t get to finish the Swedish Campaign, though I completed the conditions, and it was a lot of fun. I just had to become a Republic, and I might play it different next time.

Austria was fun too, and I managed to come through with the Monarchy still in place and with huge territories and strong allies. I also thought their unit mix was very good, and the little extra tech was nice too.

The others I have not gotten to yet or have even avoided for one reason or another. But I am having a great time still exploring them all.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

The Ottomans, tied for first with Britain? I must be dreaming.
    I shouldn't have to live in a world where all the good points are horrible ones.

Is he hurt? Everybody asks that. Nobody ever says, 'What a mess! I hope the doctor is not emotionally harmed by having to deal with it.'

I voted Prussia. I love its starting position and the strategies and tactics it implies, its colour scheme, its flag and its unique buildings (Brandenburg Gate and the Prussian Academy of Sciences).

Thumbs up Re: Favourite Faction

Huron Confederacy all da way, whoop-yeah!

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Uraah! God save the Tsar!
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

I tried playing as the Russians but couldn't get over how hideous their uniforms were. Green and orange?
    "Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shall thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end". -Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by DisruptorX View Post
    I tried playing as the Russians but couldn't get over how hideous their uniforms were. Green and orange?
    Green and RED. Like Christmas colors :P
    That's what it's supposed to be...how it looks to me as well.
    Maybe your monitor is misadjusted?
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Spain is my favourite by far. The yellow lumbering giant may be slow to start off, but when you have it running the cash comes at the speed of light, and you can be the great economical superpower funding France. Or you can be the Yellow Death and kill everyone with spammed militias and provincial cavalry.

I strongly prefer minor nations. Major nations are no challenge for me
    Better dead than a Coward - Gurkha motto

Quote Originally Posted by Liberator View Post
    I strongly prefer minor nations. Major nations are no challenge for me
    I rather disagree with that. In almost all total war games, the major nations are the hardest, as you start off with massive territories surrounded by enemies.q
    "Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shall thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end". -Tolkien

Village special needs person Member Kobal2fr's Avatar

I voted Russia, but it's a toss-up with Prussia really. Russia's interesting because you've got huuuuuge tracts of laaand, pretty crummy units but original ones to make up for it, and lots of ennemies. Prussia's fun because you've got no friends, lots of enemies and ambitious campaign goals.

Quote Originally Posted by DisruptorX
    It's still better than Hungary in M2TW. I still haven't managed to play more than 5 turns with them, even though they look like one of the most interesting factions. But... salmon and emerald ? Ugh.
    Anything wrong ? Blame it on me. I'm the French.

Quote Originally Posted by DisruptorX View Post
    I rather disagree with that. In almost all total war games, the major nations are the hardest, as you start off with massive territories surrounded by enemies.q
    what I have seen so far in my campaigns, this is only the case of Russia and the Ottomans

Britain.
    - Excellent starting position.
    - Poisted to reap tons of income from trade posts and sugar from carribean
    - Foothold in Carribean, Canada, and US (sorta, sometimes have to wait for Iroquois to take Albany or Boston)
    - Greatest actual history in this period, so a lot to strive for to outdo them
    Fac et Spera

Prussia. It's a full-on European land smash. Everyone hates me because of all the stomping and crushing I've been doing simply to expand. There's no Indians or Native Americans nobody cares about to start squishing, only other European nation states which unite in their abject hatred of me when I mash just Poland, let alone all the stupid single region states incomprehensibly dumb enough to declare war on me (which reads more like "please annex us").

I haven't got the absolutely psychotic level of wealth fairly easily available to many other factions, most notably Britain, Spain or United Provinces. So not only do I have to batter my way through these European scumbags, I have to do it on a shoestring. And their regions ain't that wealthy, it's not like I've got half a dozen Carribean islands chucking out hilariously expensive trade goods while remaining pleasantly loyal with no need for any defensive units whatsoever. No, I get a bunch of angry Poles who breed like rabbits, and forced me to tax them into my first ever revolution just to see if being a Republic would shut them the hell up. It did, kinda. They're a bit happier in general and just replace my entire government every few years to cheer themselves up. I don't know how that works, I thought it was my laissez faire attitude to their opinion in my cities (if it ain't red, it ain't a riot), but they seem to actually produce unhappiness all by themselves through hating my cabinet. Probably my rampant warmongering or something.

Finally, they're cool. Original Prussian flag? Sweet. Uniforms? Awesome. Become a republic? Modern day German flag. Hell yeah. We're going to the Rhineland lads, and if we're lucky the French are gonna get in the way!
    Love is a well aimed 24 pounder howitzer with percussion shells.

I voted Russia, and Prussia being a close second.

I'm staying away from the colonial powers since there's no competition with them.

I actually don't attack Poland as prussia since they are peacefull friendly people I just take courland once they attack me and then swap it for goa with portugal. Its a fun colonial romp cos Mysore will jump you almost immediately

Britain and France SHOULD be the most fun factions to play, by a long shot. But with no risk of a channel crossing, both are too easy.

I voted Prussia because it is most realistic (although, not very realistic).

I don't think there was much point in this... British people will vote for Britain, Americans will vote for USA, so on, so forth.

I voted GAH! Because i just don't know what my favourite is. I enjoy them all up until about 1715, by which point the campaign is decided, i am invincible even though i limit myself in research and military size, and i quit, delete the same and start a new game.

After playing every single faction and never ever going past 1730, except once when i went to 1750 as Austria, i've come back around to playing Prussia, except i've decided to invade and create the modern borders of Germany.

Then i'm going to recreate World War 2, where i'll probably win instead of lose.
    Last edited by Dayve; 04-13-2009 at 14:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    I don't think there was much point in this... British people will vote for Britain, Americans will vote for USA, so on, so forth.
    I am French and I voted for Prussia. My ancestors must be rolling in their graves.

I didn't vote for my home country in this poll, but I was psyched to see my hometown appear.

Baton Rouge: Represented!

University or Tavern? I guess LSU is more of the latter...

So far I have really enjoyed my Prussia and French games. As Prussia I carved out most of what is Modern day Germany; and then France declared war so I had to take them out of the picture.

As France I started the revolution about 80 years early and played Napoleon at every one else's expense.

Spain and The Netherlands were fun, but I have enjoyed France and Prussia more. I am still feeling out Russia.

I am german and did not even played with Prussia yet. Prussia played a big role in forming a united Germany, but I never really felt connected with it, Prussia is long gone.
    I started with UP because its next to my home province Rhineland, which I conquered first. Was like coming home

I was born in Mississippi and I voted for Russia.

Of the major factions, I must say the United Provinces. Not too large in the beginning, sea-focused... The units are nothing special though, boring european copy-armies. I still got to try the Ottoman empire.
    Pinky: "Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
    The Brain: "The same thing we do every night, Pinky - Try to take over the world!"

Thumbs up Re: Favourite Faction

Quote Originally Posted by jsberry View Post
    I didn't vote for my home country in this poll, but I was psyched to see my hometown appear.

Baton Rouge: Represented!

University or Tavern? I guess LSU is more of the latter...
    Hey, they even have Louisiana as a faction in-game. You must be happy.
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 04-13-2009 at 21:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Maladin View Post
    I am French and I voted for Prussia. My ancestors must be rolling in their graves.
    At least you didn't vote Great Britain, they'd have risen up out of their graves to come and get you!
    Love is a well aimed 24 pounder howitzer with percussion shells.

USA here voting for Prussia. BTW, I hate RTI and American faction. Completed GB and Prussia and working on France.

Prussia is just too fun. My armies are constantly marching back and forth across central Europe beating back multiple full stacks (I turtled a bit mid-game for AI to catch up). France/Spain are the new Egyptians. Right now I am fighting World War I: 4 Prussian stacks on the western front facing hordes of full stacks of French and Spanish, 3 Prussian stacks on the eastern front facing around 3 times their number of Russians, and 2 stacks in the alps facing the Italians and Austrians.

Cannot make a dent in the front line due to video memory CTD when more than 2 stacks are involved (no problems in custom battle though). Star forts are deathtraps; I let them take Brussels/Strasbourg then counterattack!

I also had sort of a Jutland, except the British were wiped out instead of merely roughed up a bit .

What!? Glorious Poland has only one miserable vote?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast