Thread: The student teacher taboo

Default The student teacher taboo

(Right, since this is my first topic in the backroom, please let me know if I make a mistake, I've read the rules, but if I do something wrong, do notify me)

This is something that's bothered me since sometime now, due to more than one reasons, the foremost being I myself having to go through a lot of hard time only recently, when I was quite enamored by this lady in my college who was but four years older, but unreachable just because she was a junior lecturer and I was a student.
    To begin with, where does it say, that a student cannot have feeling for the teacher.....I mean we are all humans, and our affections have a will of their own. Who can bind the eye and the heart, who can help the man who went head over heels when he saw a beautiful woman pass? And why is this different? Is the teacher not a human being? Is the student not a human being?
    Granted, society needs to have some regulations. And that the student-teacher relation is supposed to be like the child-parent relation. But what if the relation is more cordial? What if they become friends, is it bad then? No. Why then do the people consider it forbidden?
    One can ofcourse exercise self control. One does it. But, yet, why must one do it? (Let's be clear, I'm not talking about a 12 year old student and 32 year old teacher and 'crushes', I'm speaking of older students, graduating out). Why can a student not lover his teacher?

I myself have been quite muddled, and that is the reason most of the sentences end with a question mark. Sometimes I feel indignant at the injustice of the whole thing, at other times I feel sick and disgusted by myself, and the fact that a teacher should be anything more than a teacher to me. And so I ask, why does it have to be such a taboo? Why is it such a taboo?

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : The student teacher taboo

This taboo certainely does not exist in french university. Making out with a professor/lecturer for better marks and some fame is common practice here.

Default Re: The student teacher taboo

It's to do with people having power and control over you. Some might abuse it. Find a girl your own age.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ditto Nurse / Doctor patient taboo. Not a problem in cities, but if you're the only Dr in 30 miles then meeting someone who'se not a patient can be a problem.

Personally I don't think it's any worse than manager / secretary. Power is an aphrodisiac, but why is tihs one example different to any others?

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

If they teach you then they can't be your lover as well. You aren't their equal, but their subordinate. Melendil's point about "making out" for better marks is also important; that sort of stuff should kill your degree dead, French practice notwithstanding.

I'll add another one to the list though, Priest and parishoner. Though breach of that one is considered less serious it can make things rather awkward if you're courting, or so I have heard.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

I often like girls who are older than me, so the same age thing is rubbish, since women have a longer life expectancy on average it also makes sense(!), I mean you stop being around roughly the same time on average instead of her being an old widow for many years.
    The power thing is somewhat applicable but if I as the student want to have my professor I don't see why I shouldn't have her if all the other circumstances fit, meaning she wants me as well, isn't married etc.

the government should create a place where students in love can go and apply for a relationship with a teacher before they have told the teacher, that way the public servants can make sure there is no pressure of the teacher involved and they can give a certificate of authentic student love that prevents both partners from prosecution should the event of a relationship arrive.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Exclamation Re: The student teacher taboo

It was always a taboo in high school (for obvious reasons). At my university, though, I get the feeling that it isn't as bad. I mean, I swear one of my profs likes me. I don't take her class seriously, always sit near the back, and somehow get her attention quite a bit...

I'm not gonna dive in that swamp, though. There are hotter girls amongst the student body.

Ok ok ok, how about this....

Is it alright to have feelings for the dean, when you have been seeing your Indonesian teacher for the last few months and you are being chased by your local doctor?
    What if the dean gets sick?

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

Is it alright to have feelings for the dean, when you have been seeing your Indonesian teacher for the last few months and you are being chased by your local doctor?

Here in India, till half a century back it was custom to marry off 16 year old girls to 40 year old men, (yeah that was the time when woman were not empowered and blah blah....but still!), so I don't see why it can't be the other way round anyway. Age hardly matters if your feelings are genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    The power thing is somewhat applicable but if I as the student want to have my professor I don't see why I shouldn't have her if all the other circumstances fit, meaning she wants me as well, isn't married etc.
    Ditto. Generalizing something as being bad just because some people can misuse it isn't correct. If the power bit is the only reason such relations are looked down on, then I think it's rather unfair. Anyway, even that does not make it morally and ethically wrong, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn

Oh wow........you're serious?

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by india View Post
    Here in India, till half a century back it was custom to marry off 16 year old girls to 40 year old men, (yeah that was the time when woman were not empowered and blah blah....but still!), so I don't see why it can't be the other way round anyway. Age hardly matters if your feelings are genuine.
    If you like cougars, that's your deal. Meow to you.

The hierarchy/power position thing is potentially far worse trouble than simple age. Since it is ethically dicey, many co-professionals of the teacher will treat such actions with disdain and it could damage the teacher's career. Hardly what you'd want to have happen if there is genuine affection. On the reverse, the teacher holds tremendous power over a student.

At a minimum, such relationships should be avoided until/unless there is no possibility of that teacher and student being in the same sub hierarchy (department). For example, an English Major dating a Physics Prof creates far less turmoil for all parties.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I think it has more to do with the dignity of the profession

Oh no, I was not asking for myself.

I have this friend who has many relationship issues, and when I saw this thread I just remembered.
    I thought I would ask for him.. her.. them.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : The student teacher taboo

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil View Post
    This taboo certainely does not exist in french university. Making out with a professor/lecturer for better marks and some fame is common practice here.
    As I said in another thread: we live on an isle of reason surrounded by an ocean of backwardness and superstition.

My professors carved marks on their doorposts to keep track of their conquests and impress with their virility. Way cool. They destroyed me with both knowledge of Derrida AND women. Now there were men I could learn from.

Edit: thank you for opening a fun and original Backroom thread, India.
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 04-14-2009 at 11:50.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh
    Since it is ethically dicey, many co-professionals of the teacher will treat such actions with disdain and it could damage the teacher's career. Hardly what you'd want to have happen if there is genuine affection.
    Right, to that I concur. But again, it comes down to the fact that it's ethically dicey, which itself is something I find very unreasonable. Ethics are there so that the people of a place can live harmoniously, and happily. I bet almost everyone has had a crush on his or her teacher one time or the other, and not being able to do anything about it had made people unhappy, for however short a period of time. Then in that case why such an ethic at all? I come from a country that's ridden with many superstitions and orthodox thought even now, yet this one makes the least sense of all. When someone actually likes someone else enough, I trust it's no other person's business to interfere.....I mean after all, why else does one make a distinction between adults and kids.....are adults not allowed to take their own decisions and make their own mistakes....

On another note, (though it's not directly related to this topic) if you don't mind saying, you think age matters a lot too, don't you? (Ofcourse I agree that age matters before 18, but it's not what you were talking about I'm sure...)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Edit: thank you for opening a fun and original Backroom thread, India.
    Thank you for mentioning it.
    Anyhow I'm getting quite a few interesting insights on the subject.....and French universities sure sound wild
    Last edited by rajpoot; 04-14-2009 at 13:42. Reason: Grammer

I bet almost everyone has had a crush on his or her teacher one time or the other
    I still have vivid memories of Miss Boulangerie in my second year French class. My dad was practically slavering come parents day. Legs up to the neck springs to mind.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Damn the mores. Get you some strange boy-o
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Damn the mores. Get you some strange boy-o
    Isn't that the Texas State Motto?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Isn't that the Texas State Motto?
    Friendship in more ways than one.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    I still have vivid memories of Miss Boulangerie in my second year French class. My dad was practically slavering come parents day. Legs up to the neck springs to mind.
    Like this, you mean?
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost View Post
    Like this, you mean?
    Not so far off...........

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost View Post
    Like this, you mean?
    Looks a bit like Jane Horrocks, but seems a bit tall for her.