Poll: Innate rights?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are There Innate Rights?

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Are There Innate Rights?

To avoid potentially drifting off topic in the gun thread, I am going to ask it here:

Do you feel there are innate human rights that all have, regardless of circumstance? If so, what rights does that entail?

Personally, I feel there is nothing that is an innate right. No one person is born with their "freedom"(however that is defined, exactly). They are born with whatever privileges society has dictated that they should have. Of course, no two societies are exactly alike. Different privileges have been given around the world and at different times in human history. Some would say "self defense", yet that's quite vague in itself. Against whom? What about odd or difficult to predict circumstances? How to define "self defense"? Does someone lose that "innate right" if they attack someone else first and are retaliated upon? How can it be determined when and how they would even lose them if they could? And if they can lose a right, how can it even be innate in the first place?

Another, freedom to worship as one pleases. What if, in order to worship, they must do their best to ensure others do not have the freedom to worship? How can both "rights" cannot be satisfied? Or does the right stop at some point, and if so, how is that decided? And if it can be halted, again, how can it be innate?

Thoughts...?
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Default Re: Are There Innate Rights?

People are born with basic rights that should not be infringed on. They can however, lose these rights during the course of their existance by infringing on other's rights. A person has the absolute right to protect his wellbeing and his other innate rights by any means possible IMO. That does not mean that I think people should have nuclear asarnals, grenades, tanks, etc, as those are things used to fight wars, not protect individual freedom. I think that a gun though (automatic or not) is a must to give someone a fair chance to defend their rights, and I think that infringing on a person's rights to defend themselves is a crime. (you here that gun control people! You are criminals! jj) Likewise I think that freedom of speech is a basic right, but when you are marching down the streets and breaking windows, you are infringing on other people's rights so that is a crime as well IMHO. Likewise, when you preach Nazism, Communism, Blackpower, Whitepower, Feminism ( ok, well maybe I was joking about that one :P) you are endangering other people's rights, and there for commiting a crime against others.
    In short, no one has the right to infringe on other's rights, but as long as they are not doing that, then they are entitled to basic rights. Sure, it gets hard to interpret things some times, but I think that is a good rule to follow.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

You have innate rights, you can lose them when you infringe on others rights. I would agree that we don't have inalienable rights.

You're saying it's hard to determine when someone loses a right, and that it's society that determines that. This is true, but it doesn't mean that the rights aren't innate, and that a society which forces most of the people into slavery isn't taking away their rights.

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

FFFFFRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!

You have whatever rights you are willing to die for. If you're not willing to die for it, it is merely a privilege.

My kingdom for a .

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

i do not believe in inalienable human rights in the UK.

they interfere too much with a far more important concept called justice.

should a serial violent offender be allowed to own arms - no
    should a people have a right to revoke another members life - yes

i can see that its a useful concept in those countries where excitable people run around with machetes, or machine-gun civilians into trenches, but it causes more problems than it solves in the UK.
    Last edited by Furunculus; 04-07-2009 at 20:29.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i do not believe in inalienable human rights in the UK.

they interfere too much with a far more important concept called justice.

should a serial violent offender be allowed to own arms - no
    should a people have a right to revoke another members life - yes

i can see that its a useful concept in those countries where excitable people run around with machetes, or machine-gun civilians into trenches, but it causes more problems than it solves in the UK.
    That's why you're still British.

My kingdom for a .

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

There are no innate rights. They must be constantly fought for and protected
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Innate rights don't exist, but its practical for different cultures to form their own ideas of 'human rights' to ensure people get a decent quality of life. They are guidelines, and breaking them isn't the end of the world.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

An extremely difficult question to answer, but I am inclined to agree with this to a certain extent:

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    There are no innate rights. They must be constantly fought for and protected

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No. All rights are earnt, and therefore can be lost.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    Innate rights don't exist, but its practical for different cultures to form their own ideas of 'human rights' to ensure people get a decent quality of life.

They are guidelines, and breaking them isn't the end of the world.
    doesn't that go rather against the grain of the concept of inalienable human rights as enshrined in law across the world?

i think rights should be guidelines too, to be judged through the prism of justice, as judged by the people.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    doesn't that go rather against the grain of the concept of inalienable human rights as enshrined in law across the world?

i think rights should be guidelines too, to be judged through the prism of justice, as judged by the people.
    Yes, there's no such thing as inalienable human rights. But generally speaking, its good for people to have rights which are treated like guidelines. However, when they become absolute, things start to get a bit silly.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Inalienable: Inseparable, can't be given or taken away
    Innate: Present from birth, natural

Yes?

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

We are born with innate freedoms and human dignity, and natural rights. These can be trodden upon by another individual or the state, but these things exist and can only be denied to an individual. If they can be denied to an individual, then they must have had those rights to begin with by default.

Not the most scientific argument, but I don't have time to get into a big thing right now. I have another thing down at that other thing that I have to do things in.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 04-03-2021 at 00:43.

There is little to no difference between a chainsaw, and automobile, and a simple handgun. They all can result in someone's death.

I do draw the line at assault weapons which aren't used for hunting or self-defense, because they are impractical in those functions. But I think that is an acceptable compromise. I do think there is a huge difference between a handgun, a hunting rifle, and a machine gun.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

There are innalienable human rights, such as a right to live. There are also innate rights that are largely innalienable.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Handguns are use in some forms of hunting, such as Alligator.

My kingdom for a .

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoma1910 View Post
    Handguns are use in some forms of hunting, such as Alligator.
    Yup, there're also good for killing bears.
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 04-08-2009 at 02:12.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

I use handguns to type my name into the side of people's houses and cars. I think it's a form of artistic expression.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    I use handguns to type my name into the side of people's houses and cars. I think it's a form of artistic expression.
    Considering alligator hunting and having to defend yourself from bears/cougars in the Texas mountains isn't all that uncommon, I fail to see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Considering alligator hunting and having to defend yourself from bears/cougars in the Texas mountains isn't all that uncommon, I fail to see your point.
    My point is simply.... THIS!!!!

*runs away*

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I was attempting to make a joke and failed miserably, which means it's still funny, just in a more ironic way.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Gentlemen,

We have several gun threads currently running. This is not one of them.

It may seem like there exists the inalienable right for a member to bang on about guns, but it's only a privilege. Remember, guns don't derail threads, members do.

Thank you kindly.

"If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    Inalienable: Inseparable, can't be given or taken away
    Innate: Present from birth, natural

Yes?
    In my language there are no distinction between the two. It is called "medfødte rettigheter" which is translated directly as: congenital rights.

You have this in your Deceleration of Independence:
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

We have something like this:
    The constitution builds on a thought that all mankind have congenital rights that no government can interfere with. The individual shall be protected against encroachment. Encroachment can be; detention and imprisonment without law and judgment, or governments taking private possessions without payment.
    Status Emeritus

My dictionary says that inalienable (unalienable was a mistake on his part :P) means something that comes from birth and is "unassailable" (meaning that they cannot be attacked). Looking at the wording that the framers used (UNLAWFUL imprisonment, etc) I think they were saying that people had rights from birth which SHOULD not be infringed on. Think of it, you have the right to defend yourself from UNLAWFUL and UNREASONABLE imprisonment, punishement, etc. That does not mean that if you broke a law though, that you have the right to 'defend' yourself from being arrested. Likewise, just because you have the right to speak your mind, that is not the same thing as actively organising criminal or militant groups that will infringe on the rights of others, or give you the right to infringe on the rights of others by destroying their property in 'protest'. No one has the right to infringe on someone else's rights, but that does not mean that a murder cannot or should not be arrested or excecuted, because a murderer has no right to 'protect' himself from lawful and just arrest when he has murdered someone.

My
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    In my language there are no distinction between the two. It is called "medfødte rettigheter" which is translated directly as: congenital rights.

You have this in your Deceleration of Independence:
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

We have something like this:
    The constitution builds on a thought that all mankind have congenital rights that no government can interfere with. The individual shall be protected against encroachment. Encroachment can be; detention and imprisonment without law and judgment, or governments taking private possessions without payment.
    Well, if you have innate rights, you can lose them when you infringe upon someone else. But if you say they are inalienable then nothing you can do can separate your rights from you. The problem with that statement to me is that you end up saying that people who are in prison still have the right to liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    Well, if you have innate rights, you can lose them when you infringe upon someone else. But if you say they are inalienable then nothing you can do can separate your rights from you. The problem with that statement to me is that you end up saying that people who are in prison still have the right to liberty.
    The thing is that right you have is not: liberty. It is: Liberty as you have been lawful and not infringed on other people's rights. While it of course was not worded that way, if you pay attention to the founder's wording, they make it clear that the rights are not meant for breaking the law and infringing on other's rights. They are for the lawful. A criminal still keeps his right to: Liberty as you have been lawful and not infringed on other people's rights, but it just does not apply to him.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk
    The thing is that right you have is not: liberty. It is: Liberty as you have been lawful and not infringed on other people's rights. While it of course was not worded that way, if you pay attention to the founder's wording, they make it clear that the rights are not meant for breaking the law and infringing on other's rights. They are for the lawful. A criminal still keeps his right to: Liberty as you have been lawful and not infringed on other people's rights, but it just does not apply to him.
    So:
    1) everyone has unalienable rights
    2) to some the above does not apply?

As for my view:
    Freedom, rights etc. are products of civilization and therefore can't be innate or unalienable.

not very logical, lol.

If someone wants to take away your rights they can. It happens everyday. You're rights are only there if you can defend them.

The DOI is a great document but means nothing if we can't put our money where our mouth is.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast