Thread: The POPE LIVES

Default The POPE LIVES

I have killed the pope and took all of his lands and he still appears, is there something wrong? Or is the pope made to survive even thou he has no lands and no armies on the screen?

Default Re: The POPE LIVES

You can kill a pope, but not the Papacy. As long as there are any Catholics left in your game world, there will be a Papal States. Like the Mongols & Timurids, the Papal States have the 'hoarde' ability, i.e. it can exist without owning a province.
    Last edited by anweRU; 04-15-2009 at 15:43.
    Ancestry: Turkish & Irish. Guess my favorite factions!

Revolutionary Member The New Che Guevara's Avatar

Well... technically... you can get rid of everything the pope has... and they will still exist, unless you have wiped out every catholic faction.

Imagine my dissapointment playing as England.

Although, you can in all legalities, kill the pope... he just simply gets replaced. None the less Assassin's and field battles will work.
    The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggle. The workers have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to gain. Workers of the world, UNITE! - Karl Marx, The Communist Manifesto

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

You can also just wipe out all the priests in the game and there won't be a new Pope. This is only if you're the last Catholic faction as the other factions will train priests fairly often.

Revolutionary Member The New Che Guevara's Avatar

I did this in my england campaign... no priests at all... papacy was still in existence.
    The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggle. The workers have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to gain. Workers of the world, UNITE! - Karl Marx, The Communist Manifesto

Yeah I did it too. When they are priests tohugh a pope pops out of rome (even though its your settlement. otherwise it's a captain of the papal states...they simply won't die which is such a nuissance when your muslim or excommunicated.
    I'm saving Private Ryan...money on his car insurance

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

You still have to kill the Papal armies and conquer their provinces but I'd rather assumed that was step #1 anyway. This is from my vanilla TE campaign.

In my just-finished Byzantine Campaign in LTC I eliminated all Roman Catholic priests, took all Papal territories, killed the Pope, and tried to negotiate with the last Papal army. The Papacy still would not give me peace even with the return of Rome! So I destroyed it and put my rented elephants and rockets on ships and sailed to the new world to stop some natives which were surprisingly unimpressed with elephants with cannons and gunners on their backs.

Member Member Servius Maxintius's Avatar

Angry Re: The POPE LIVES

LOL, Yeah when i was the HRE i took all of italy and assinated the Pope and then destroyed his armies, they still lived, then stupid Hungary gave them Bucharest(I think) the land closest to Constantinople
    "timidi mater non flet"
    A cowards mother does not weep
    Latin proverb

Lord of Underpants Member Seabourch's Avatar

I ass Hungary were the Pope's favourite faction after that.